• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Matrix Sequels

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With a new Matrix movie on the horizon I think I’d like to revisit the franchise.

I’ve seen the original film a few times and enjoy it, but only seen the sequels once. I found the second film fair and the third poor. It’s been over a decade since my only viewing of the sequels.

What would you suggest I watch? I like the idea of combining the sequels into one movie, but it is not a requirement. I don’t mind radical departures if it improves the film(s), unless you think it’ll be a problem for the new movie coming out. (And I have no idea about what it’s going to be about; all I know is they’re making a Matrix 4.)

Just looking for a good time with The Matrix in 2021.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DoctorM's versions have long been my favorites.  They don't *quite* work entirely, but they're a really interesting attempt at a radical change.

Boon's dezionized is pretty good if you dislike all the zion stuff, which I kinda do.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Completely removing all Zion scenes, as Boon's DeZIONized edit apparently does, strikes me as overkill. I don't much like the sequels' portrayal of Zion, but I think at least some of the scenes should be preserved, albeit often in shortened form. (I don't mind some of the Council stuff in particular.) In a Revolutions edit, the siege of Zion should definitely be heavily reduced - to mere glimpses, probably - but, again, I think the wholesale elimination of such sequences is too much. And shortening the legendary Reloaded highway battle sequence to any degree is blasphemy!  :p

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jerick's The Matrix Revolutions: Decoded is far and away my favorite Matrix sequel edit. Works great as a 2in1 and is roughly the same length as the first movie.

Dezionized was an interesting experiment but I don't think it worked in the end.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, guys. Most of the specifics don’t mean anything to me because I don’t remember the movies very well.

Kryptonicus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree that Decoded by Jerick is the best of the edits I've seen. It keeps enough of the Zion footage to keep the story coherent. It makes some fairly radical story changes at the end. I liked them, but everyone may not. I loved the idea of moving the Zion rave/orgy scene from the first act of the first sequel to the credits scene! That was brilliant and felt very organic. I thought some of the edits and changes in the very end (to hide Neo's blindness, to change Trinity's fate, etc) felt a tiny bit clunky. But still, it ended up much, much tighter than the source material.
I just really enjoyed this edit and think that every Matrix fan should give it a watch.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know, I'll blow my own trumpet... Watch mine... No Zion, one movie, and all the trash gone plus original Don Davis score for the Burly Brawl... 3hrs. If the new one is any good, given that for each of the first 3 I used about 15 min if Revilutions, I might add 90 Sec from Matrix Restitution!

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Jerick’s edit, after not having seen the originals in over a decade. It felt fine, though a few scenes felt very rushed. It doesn’t quite get away with not feeling like a fan edit but there wasn’t anything major. I’m sure all the stuff I didn’t notice speaks volumes about it achieving it’s goals! Better than watching the original two, I’d say.
Too bad that none of them ever truly escaped the Matrix, though, eh?

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought Jerick did fantastic work and it's the best I've seen but it wasn't quite definitive for me. I'm not sure that can be done. I like the story but there's little in those sequels that really holds a candle to the original. Maybe this new film will spark some fresh ideas. Or maybe just some helpful fodder. Hope it's great.

AngusBurger22

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know, I'll blow my own trumpet... Watch mine... No Zion, one movie, and all the trash gone plus original Don Davis score for the Burly Brawl... 3hrs. If the new one is any good, given that for each of the first 3 I used about 15 min if Revilutions, I might add 90 Sec from Matrix Restitution!
Ah, think my sequel combo is gonna be similar to yours then. I haven't submitted or posted it yet, though. Zion scenes purged to make way for a continuous Hammer thrill ride

Zhaboka

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Jerick’s edit, after not having seen the originals in over a decade. It felt fine, though a few scenes felt very rushed. It doesn’t quite get away with not feeling like a fan edit but there wasn’t anything major. I’m sure all the stuff I didn’t notice speaks volumes about it achieving it’s goals! Better than watching the original two, I’d say.
Too bad that none of them ever truly escaped the Matrix, though, eh?

I never hated Zion haha, so I think I will be trying to watch Jerick's cut soon. And I probably would have never watched these movies again if it weren't for this thread! So thanks y'all!

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
... The Animatrix was great.
I was going to say something about the Animatrix as well. Amazing anthology. Could possibly use visuals and sound from that for this edit.

also, what about putting parts of the sequels before the original in order to let the original end and climax still come at the end of your edit. just some 2:30AM thoughts..

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also loved the Animatrix....amazing how what looked near photoreal then (even in the sequels), does not hold up now.

I wish the Wachowski Sisters would just get all the A and B rolls out of the vault (if The Architect will permit) , and just fix it themselves!

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This very recent edit is interesting. It turns the Movies and various additional media into episodes:

Edit: The link keep showing a Reddit preview with a direct link to the Google drive, which I believe breaks the rules of the forums. It was recently posted on the Fanedit subreddit.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just bought Topaz and was thinking of upscaling the "Enter the Matrix" videos if anyone wanted to use them for their Matrix edits.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was going to say something about the Animatrix as well. Amazing anthology. Could possibly use visuals and sound from that for this edit.

also, what about putting parts of the sequels before the original in order to let the original end and climax still come at the end of your edit. just some 2:30AM thoughts..
There was an edit called The Matrix Reimagined (actually more like The Matrix Reframed) which sort of did this - used elements of the sequels to add context to the original film, but without using most of the narrative of the sequels. I thought it was pretty good because I really like the original film but found the sequels disappointing - Reloaded has some great action when it finally gets going, but there aren't enough interesting ideas for me in the sequels so it just feels like convoluted Plot Guff and increasingly pompous dialogue.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The sequels felt like the old Mystery Men Syndrome...you know (I'm making these up....)

"Do not fear the unknown for it is the unknown that you fear"
or
"do not doubt your questions, just question your doubts"

Symmetrical gobbledygook

FFS Morpheus, how many of those pills did you eat while we were gone?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gobbledygook

e9d24acbc8d103973aa3ccaaf41756e6.jpg

Top Bottom