• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

JOHN CARTER of MARS

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
True, I did favor the sepia look, but the black n white was fine.
The only time I thought of sepia was during the cavalry / Indians chase.
Black n white offered better contrast for when the amulet ignited in the cave, however.

Sepia does not always carry off. An editor (whose name I am conveniently forgetting) offered a "serialized" 2-DVD set of a popular trilogy. Available in black n white, and sepia. In that instance, the sepia struck me as wrong, since classic serials were never sepia toned.

On the other hand, your over-saturated "wet" look was wonderful.
It was otherworldly, and also harked back to Technicolour.
The is no such thing as natural or realistic colour.
For example: I've been viewing The Invaders, a dimly remembered Quinn Martin series from the 60s.
Set mostly in desert towns, the skies are the deepest blue and everyone is tanned beyond belief.
The closest one gets to those skin tones nowadays are Rodriguez Machete romps.
So, yes, I'm glad you stuck with your instincts and juiced the saturation.
Killer look.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
It was otherworldly, and also harked back to Technicolour.
The is no such thing as natural or realistic colour.
For example: I've been viewing The Invaders, a dimly remembered Quinn Martin series from the 60s.
Set mostly in desert towns, the skies are the deepest blue and everyone is tanned beyond belief.

I remember that show!!! The Fugitive with Aliens!!! Wasn't the first season in black and white? Or maybe my tv was black and white... lol. But I remember really loving it as a kid in after school reruns.
Did you ever see the FOX relaunch mini-series/backdoor pilot starring Scott Bakula?

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Found the reboot over-emotional, plus I hated the kid.
The Cold War had ended by 1995 and that provided so much of the underlying tension of the original.
There was also the whole 60s "alienation" vibe going: Vietnam, protests, inner city riots, urban renewal (which inner city residents referred to as negro removal), the growing consciousness of the mob that their leaders were consummate liars.
The nearest in tone to the Invaders was the X-Files, especially during the first handful of seasons.
Thinnes even had a memorable part in a couple of episodes.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you to [MENTION=15015]Fanedit[/MENTION] for taking the time to post a review, it's very much appreciated buddy! :)

All of the visual and audio editing felt seamless to me except I felt something had been cut when Carter and the old lady were walking together. I also could tell that there were cuts made during the battle with the (evil tharks??) whatever they were. Then during the sword fight with the bad guy (sorry, my memory sucks) I noticed somethiing wasn't quite right. None of these were really that jarring, but noticeable.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If memory serves, I don't think I cut anything in anything from those scenes...? LOL.[/FONT]

One thing I think got rushed through too quickly was Carter learning to walk and jump on Mars. It just felt like that wasn't fully established and would have preferred to leave in most of that scene.
Other than breaking the scene into two parts, it is pretty much in its entirety.

:)

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Thank you to Fanedit for taking the time to post a review, it's very much appreciated buddy! :)

If memory serves, I don't think I cut anything in anything from those scenes...? LOL.

Other than breaking the scene into two parts, it is pretty much in its entirety.

:)

Wow. I guess I wasn't paying attention well enough. I coulda sworn something was different. Advanced age is obviously playing with my mind. :( I'm gonna have to start watching the originals right before the fanedits. I guess my memory is worse than I thought.

9k=

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
Wow. I guess I wasn't paying attention well enough. I coulda sworn something was different. Advanced age is obviously playing with my mind. :( I'm gonna have to start watching the originals right before the fanedits. I guess my memory is worse than I thought.

No biggie. I have made the same mistake before too. TM2YC thought something had been cut front the Old Woman scene too. And in a sense something was, as the original extended scene is in the bonus features. So maybe your acute super-editor sense was just picking up on the late cuts made by the film makers. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks [MENTION=8734]Dwight Fry[/MENTION] for posting a review. :)

The new end credits with the homage to Carter through the ages are wonderful, though I'm still not convinced about that Requiem for a Dream ripoff theme music. What I did love was a hilarious moment that might or might not have been intentional: at the end of the credits we get a reprise of the rather violent scene of Carter mass-slaying Tharks left and right, followed by a title card which reads "A Disney Picture". LOL!

I wondered if anyone would pick up on that... :lol:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank You @"havok1977" for taking the time to post a review.  :)
I am happy you enjoyed the edit.  Particularly heartwarming when a reviewer says it is shelf worthy.  :D

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey Bob no problem at all, Im glad you have put out so many enjoyable edits over the years; its great to see you were going strong during my time away.

Keep it up!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is always a chance.   :p

But very unlikely.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While this is actually a promo for the John Carter of Mars game (which I am really tempted to order!!!), it is also a nice introductory summary of the World of Barsoom for the uninitiated....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XQqBacXhxY[/video]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU to @Wayfarer for such a positive review. It's nice to hear you enjoyed it. Sorry the black and white portion was not to your tastes. I was trying to homage Wizard of Oz, though I do not think I was overly successful lol.

I still thoroughly LOVE the original theatrical cut. It is not how I would have adapted the classic tales, but I appreciate what director Andrew Stanton accomplished.

It is an edit I have many times considered doing a REDUX Version. My nugget of an idea is to take the audio books (since they are all in the first person) and use them as a narrative voice over to alter the cinematic story to be closer to the original books.

.... maybe one day....

Wayfarer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was the Wizard of Oz I thought of when I saw what you had done. I guessed it was trying to homage that. I didn't 'dislike' it, I just wasn't sure that I liked it. I think the problem with making modern colour films into black and white is that the clarity of modern film is just so good. They don't look old.
I think what I mean is, if the picture in the first part wasn't quite so crystal clear, it would look more like an old fifties film, then suddenly when you get to Mars, everything becomes crystal clear, and in colour. I probably haven't explained that very well. There's a black and white Fan Edit of Batman around too, which again, (in my opinion) doesn't quite work because the picture is so crystal clear. It just doesn't look 'old'.
Still, I thoroughly enjoyed John Carter, and I still think the edit is far superior to the original. It's now my version of choice. Thank you.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank You @gamingmafia834 for taking the time post a review -- and such a glowing one too! Me blushing....lol
So happy the experience was positive one for you. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Wakeupkeo Thank You for posting a review. In retrospect, that would be a cool idea if Earth was in Standard Definition and then have Mars be in HD. And maybe go a step farther, make Earth 4x3 aspect ratio and Barsoom 16x9? Hhhmmmm.... ideas to ponder. Maybe next time... :)

Top Bottom