• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Morrigan Presents Batman Forever

I'm in the early stages of planning a little featurette about Schumacher's Batman and the rise and fall of the Schumacher cut, along with another about how I was inspired by that and what sort of revisions my cut went through - but it's not that radical a re-edit, so I feel like there's not much to say, to be honest. I also have my restored and rescored versions of the deleted scenes I didn't use which may be of some academic interest. I may not do bonus features at all, though. The point of the blu-ray is mostly to give an option that is the highest possible quality, and for putting on a shelf for those who want it (read: myself.)

Well, I actually worked up usable versions of all of the deleted scenes before I decided what to keep, and then refocused on getting those up to scratch for the final cut. Plus I did upscale all the deleted scenes, and there are some alternative audio choices I tried. Given all that, it feels worth it to put them out if I'm going to have a blu-ray to fill.

On a sidenote, does anyone with an interest in this edit also have a 5.1 surround setup? I have a 5.1 audio track that I believe should be fine, and would be good to include on the HD releases of this edit, but I have no way to preview it with my current film-watching situation and I don't want to put it out unpreviewed.

What kind of tracks did you use for the deleted scenes?
Well I started with a few Shirley Walker tracks, just so see how they would play, but I realised pretty quickly that if I didn't want to rescore everything I'd be better off sticking with the Goldenthal score for consistency. Then I used a few B&R tracks to fill in gaps, but ultimately decided that reusing some tracks from the Forever soundtrack that were already reused as general themes was a better solution than insisting on a new track for each deleted scene. So it's not the most exciting stuff, but I still think there's something to be gained by putting those deleted scenes out somewhere.

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE 'EM.
Well, hang tight! I won't be putting out a blu-ray until I'm sure this is up to academy standard. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep considering options for other content on the disc, as well as working through some ideas for cover art.

Talking about the colour correction of Motleys Fanedits Forever cut made me think about this little alternative version of the Arkham Escape that I tried out during the early stages of planning this edit. So, for academic/archival purposes, here's my early take on that scene as a sort of preview of what I'd want to put out as extras. The sound effects aren't finished properly, and the blue-filter bleeds into everything (had I pursued this further I would've tweaked the filter and masked out the skintones for starters) but hopefully it gives an impression of the different tone I was going for the first time around.

(password: fanedit.org)

Last edited:
A small update, I've mocked up some cover art using my mediocre skills. I think I am going to try and make two versions here, one with a Riddler cover and one with a Two-Face cover, so stay tuned for the other, I guess!

ynq87LS.jpg

Where did you get the brain stock footage and the flying bat green screen?

Where did you get the brain stock footage and the flying bat green screen?
Both are from various Youtube stock footage/green screen channels. I didn't end up using that idea, but it's not hard to turn up some nice HD brain animations with a cursory search, and the bat green screen was just searched for. If you were going to use the same idea, I'd recommend finding a good documentary about the human brain and mining it for good shots, rather than trying to cobble together single animations from various sources.

Even though I'm ostensibly working on a Venom fan edit whilst this undergoes the Academy process, I can't stop tinkering with this movie. To be clear, the edit is finished and the version submitted to the Academy is final, but I keep thinking of new and more elaborate bonus features for a potential blu-ray release. One of these is a new bonus audio track that rescores the entire film with Danny Elfman/Shirley Walker material, to envision an alternate version where the composer wasn't changed. I love Goldenthal's score, hence why this is a bonus audio track. But I was tinkering with a new method of music removal (and I chose Batman Forever to experiment with since I know the film well and I had the files ripped already), and the results were so clean I couldn't help but try a few things out.

The preview below represents my first attempt at such a rescore. Sound effects are absolutely not final, mostly left over from the audio-scrubbing that took out the score, so if I continue with this idea those elements will be rebuilt. But here's a preview of the rescore on the small portion I've attempted (the second such portion if you count my alternate Arkham scene above, I suppose.) If I don't find a compelling way to do this for the whole movie, then I won't - and if it isn't well received I might not anyway - it's only a bonus feature after all. So let me know what you think.

(password: fanedit.org)

I have a couple of questions:
• What did you use for the "audio scrubbing"?
• Which track did you use for Two-Face introduction?

I have a couple of questions:
• What did you use for the "audio scrubbing"?
• Which track did you use for Two-Face introduction?
I used Spleeter to extract the dialogue from the audio. It's pretty competent work for an automatic tool, though it will erase or distort all of your sound effects when it strips out the score, so be aware of that if you follow yet another of my methods on your own BF edit. It also doesn't distinguish between song lyrics and dialogue, so you get some weird effects when that happens (the scene where Nygma comes home and the Flaming Lips song plays is particularly messy, for example.)

As for audio replacements, in almost every case I'm using Elfman tracks for the Batman themes and motifs, and Walker tracks for the villain music - I don't want any elements that we associate with the Burton villains to appear alongside Two-Face or Riddler, I want it to feel like they have original themes each. I'm also doing a fair amount of editing of the actual tracks, splicing two or more Elfman or Walker tracks together, or extending/compressing certain sections to better fit the action on-screen - even, when I'm feeling brave, trying to splice an Elfman track onto a Walker track to build something new. I'm having mixed success, only about three scenes I'm comfortable with the rescore on. So this remains a maybe as a bonus feature, especially since I'm yet to hear any feedback as to if it's landing as intended. I may throw up another sample tonight if I get another scene to a good spot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom