• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A New Hope Revisited: Special Edition

It's been too long since I've seen Rogue One and I can't tell what you've altered. But I'll tell you that the opening of A New Hope is beyond iconic. It communicates virtually everything you need to know about the Empire and the Alliance via the ships. It chills out a little once inside though and Vader is more mysterious than intimidating to a jaded modern audience. Rogue One turns his entrance into a continuation of the ship scene, as he's an overpowering and irresistible force, taking on the whole contingent of soldiers on the corvette virtually single-handedly. The desperate struggle to get the plans to the Princess flowing into trying to get her offboard turns the whole thing into a sort of Jackie Chan macguffin fight wherein the droids barely squeak out from under Vader. I think stitching the sequences together probably improves A New Hope in a perfectly thematically consistent way, which is more than I'd thought possible.

I'm still at a cross road here lol. The first idea just keeps the focus on Vader and for obvious reasons I like that. The second idea as you said seems to be more story focused. The first one keeps the original more intact and the second shows us what is in the opening crawl.... The feedback has also been split LOL.

Well it's your edit. Like making a movie, it can be a collaborative process. But ultimately the director needs a clear vision. In this case, that's you that has to decide what kind of edit you want this to be. There will always be somebody who doesn't like the idea/execution, but in the end all you can do is incorporate the feedback into an improved execution of your vision. That's my 2 cents, anyway.

Trust me, you have been great! I like your feedback and it has helped me a lot. I think you had some good points in favor of the long or second version of the opening that is leaning me more that direction. I don't have time on weekdays to physically edit, but I'm thinking about it until I get to the computer again. So I have time to process the feedback you and others have given. Then when I get to the computer I just do the best I can lol.
Again, thank you and please keep it up.

UPDATE: OK, so I have all the visuals done. I decided on the longer opening. mnkykungfu I think had a good point on why it makes the better of the 2 openings. 

I did my cuts to SC38 and cropped it proper. I also did color adjustments. 

To all added footage be it from R1 or SC38, I also added some "noise" or "grain" to it so it matched the proper ANH footage better.  

Even though this is from a 1080 rip, Han still shoots first  :D

I should have a snip of some of the new edit with audio up soon. Audio always takes me the longest to do...

Here is the first clip with sound that shows the new opening and I am using 1080 footage now per request.

^I could nitpick about some of the music fade ins/outs but I'm fine with it. Well done, mate.

^I could nitpick about some of the music fade ins/outs but I'm fine with it. Well done, mate.
Thanks, did you feel that some of the fades will prevent me from getting approved?

Finally got around to watching the clip. As an academy member, I didn't notice anything that would prevent it from getting approved. The clip works well, excellent work!

Finally got around to watching the clip. As an academy member, I didn't notice anything that would prevent it from getting approved. The clip works well, excellent work!
Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Thanks, did you feel that some of the fades will prevent me from getting approved?
I'm NOT an academy member, but I'll say that just because an edit is approved doesn't mean it's technically flawless. Editing is hard! lol I have seen edits where there are noticeable audio pops or jarring cuts, particularly older ones. IFDB was way looser with quality standards back in the day (around 2008)! They ask more of editors these days (software has made editing easier) but still allow for variance in skill and experience. What you've posted is right up there with the quality of other approved edits.

I'm sorry, I disagree and think it needs more work. It's not terrible, good progress so far, but it doesn't seem finished.

The dialogue volume is inconsistent (ten seconds in, someone's yelling on screen but his audio is barely starting to fade in), sound effects just disappear from the mix for a while or don't match up to what's shown, a music theme starts and stops for one or two shots (while the big ship swallows the little ship). I think much of this stems from trying to use one movie's center channel track with another movie's other channels. A different approach, or combination of approaches, may help resolve this. I would recommend looking into those online AI voice removal services, see if it can pump out a cleaner dialogue track for you to use in some of the low volume problem areas. If not then noise reduction may help, using a sample of the soundtrack to generate the noise profile to be removed.

And visually the cut from old to new footage, specifically the men running down the hall from the original followed by the men stuck behind a door that won't open from Rogue One, doesn't seem to go together. I see what you were trying to do but I don't think it's connecting how you want. Its not strictly visual differences in the film grain or whatever that I'm talking about, but moreso the purpose of the sequence of shots. Right now it feels like the reason that older shot is used (men running outside the door) is because there was footage of that available, or there was time in the timeline that needed to be filled, or as an Easter egg referencing the un-fan-edited film, but it doesn't feel to me like it serves the story of this edit's new intro. I think you can make it feel more purposeful by rearranging slightly.

I'm sorry, I disagree and think it needs more work. It's not terrible, good progress so far, but it doesn't seem finished.

The dialogue volume is inconsistent (ten seconds in, someone's yelling on screen but his audio is barely starting to fade in), sound effects just disappear from the mix for a while or don't match up to what's shown, a music theme starts and stops for one or two shots (while the big ship swallows the little ship). I think much of this stems from trying to use one movie's center channel track with another movie's other channels. A different approach, or combination of approaches, may help resolve this. I would recommend looking into those online AI voice removal services, see if it can pump out a cleaner dialogue track for you to use in some of the low volume problem areas. If not then noise reduction may help, using a sample of the soundtrack to generate the noise profile to be removed.

And visually the cut from old to new footage, specifically the men running down the hall from the original followed by the men stuck behind a door that won't open from Rogue One, doesn't seem to go together. I see what you were trying to do but I don't think it's connecting how you want. Its not strictly visual differences in the film grain or whatever that I'm talking about, but moreso the purpose of the sequence of shots. Right now it feels like the reason that older shot is used (men running outside the door) is because there was footage of that available, or there was time in the timeline that needed to be filled, or as an Easter egg referencing the un-fan-edited film, but it doesn't feel to me like it serves the story of this edit's new intro. I think you can make it feel more purposeful by rearranging slightly.
The music from when the big ship swallows the big ship is from the source. That is not my editing.
Also I added grain or noise to the R1 footage so it would blend with the older footage?
But some of the fades in and out on the audio may need work like you mentioned. I wasn't sure and why I posted it here, so I could get feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to watch the clip and get back to me on this. I will see what I can do to clean it up a bit more.
With me going back into this, what sound fx are you speaking about? I want to make sure I don't skip it by accident.

Personally, I read SOME of the fades as choices that worked within the context of the scene. There are essentially two different p.o.v.s we're following here, each with their own musical theme and sound effects. I thought it was okay for the sound effects to fade down as we were cutting to a different angle...for example, when we're on the other side of the door or down the hall from the running men.
I feel like while there is room for improvement, Addiesin sounds too critical, but perhaps I've just seen this footage too much and so it all makes perfect sense to me.
Anyone else want to view and weigh in on whether the fades and cuts are scene-breaking or artistic license?

I hope you take what I'm saying as constructive, I am not here solely to be a Debbie Downer, though I understand what I'm saying may sound harsh. I went back to watch a few more times and be very specific about what I think is wrong and suggestions.

The music from when the big ship swallows the big ship is from the source. That is not my editing.
Correct, but your transition to it from :18 to :21 is, as well as some bleed-through around :24 that comes in with the dialogue "Hey!". The audio transitions are somewhat empty sounding, by which I mean it dips quiet in the middle of the transition as if my whole viewing device's volume were briefly turned down and then back up. This happens in the middle of a shot, which to me feels like an unmotivated change in music, like one song stopped and another song started. The actual music while the ship is swallowed was originally the end of a longer piece of score, but with your transition it is now also the beginning of the piece. If you blend the transition at a location more motivated by something visual, you can probably make it feel like it's a more like a natural extension of score rather than a stop and a start. Cutting a few frames to a few seconds somewhere to match up the timing on the two musical "beats" may be necessary. I'm not in your editing timeline, I don't know specifically what will work in your use case.

Also I added grain or noise to the R1 footage so it would blend with the older footage?
I'm not commenting on the differences in look between the sources. I mean the camera motion and info conveyed in those shots don't feel like they line up. The guys in the Star Wars shot are running to something, and the walls they run past have no doors. The way we follow them for two shots, it seems like next we're supposed to see what they've run to. But instead we see similar but different guys in a similar but different place. It's temporally and geographically confusing in a split second as it happens. I understand afterward they're supposed to be or represent the guys running outside the door, but for a first time viewer, that may be too late. This is the intro so it's also the first impression of the edit.

But some of the fades in and out on the audio may need work like you mentioned. I wasn't sure and why I posted it here, so I could get feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to watch the clip and get back to me on this. I will see what I can do to clean it up a bit more.
With me going back into this, what sound fx are you speaking about? I want to make sure I don't skip it by accident.
I was specifically talking about that first transition to Rogue One footage, the same one where the guy is yelling but we're just hearing it fade in. That same footage has a shake to it, but we hear no rumble and the alarms stopped, even though it's supposed to be the same place as what we just saw and heard with R2 and 3PO. In the shot with the droids, the footage has a shake to it, because the ship has been hit, which we hear. Adding a rumble sound will help cover the audio transition.

Again, sorry. I know I sound harsh. But try to remove yourself from it emotionally and put yourself in the shoes of someone who is not watching a fan edit of SW and RO but is watching this as its own movie with no prior knowledge of either source.

Last edited:
I hope you take what I'm saying as constructive, I am not here solely to be a Debbie Downer, though I understand what I'm saying may sound harsh. I went back to watch a few more times and be very specific about what I think is wrong and suggestions.

Correct, but your transition to it from :18 to :21 is, as well as some bleed-through around :24 that comes in with the dialogue "Hey!". The audio transitions are somewhat empty sounding, by which I mean it dips quiet in the middle of the transition as if my whole viewing device's volume were briefly turned down and then back up. This happens in the middle of a shot, which to me feels like an unmotivated change in music, like one song stopped and another song started. The actual music while the ship is swallowed was originally the end of a longer piece of score, but with your transition it is now also the beginning of the piece. If you blend the transition at a location more motivated by something visual, you can probably make it feel like it's a more like a natural extension of score rather than a stop and a start. Cutting a few frames to a few seconds somewhere to match up the timing on the two musical "beats" may be necessary. I'm not in your editing timeline, I don't know specifically what will work in your use case.

I'm not commenting on the differences in look between the sources. I mean the camera motion and info conveyed in those shots don't feel like they line up. The guys in the Star Wars shot are running to something, and the walls they run past have no doors. The way we follow them for two shots, it seems like next we're supposed to see what they've run to. But instead we see similar but different guys in a similar but different place. It's temporally and geographically confusing in a split second as it happens. I understand afterward they're supposed to be or represent the guys running outside the door, but for a first time viewer, that may be too late. This is the intro so it's also the first impression of the edit.

I was specifically talking about that first transition to Rogue One footage, the same one where the guy is yelling but we're just hearing it fade in. That same footage has a shake to it, but we hear no rumble and the alarms stopped, even though it's supposed to be the same place as what we just saw and heard with R2 and 3PO. In the shot with the droids, the footage has a shake to it, because the ship has been hit, which we hear. Adding a rumble sound will help cover the audio transition.

Again, sorry. I know I sound harsh. But try to remove yourself from it emotionally and put yourself in the shoes of someone who is not watching a fan edit of SW and RO but is watching this as its own movie with no prior knowledge of either source.
I appreciate you saying that, and yes... I look at this as constructive criticism. I can't grow as an editor if I don't take into consideration what I might be missing and others are catching. I'm still at the office now, so I cant go into everything you wrote just yet. But I tried to keep as much of the original sound from the source as possible. But that didn't mean that I didn't miss anything either. I'll look at this again later and comment back when I can and thank you for caring enough to say something.

I don't want to discourage you, I think it's all fixable stuff; tweaks, not overhauls. Being critical in text almost always comes across mean or rude, but I do think you're almost there already.

If it helps, try to take a look at the edit from another perspective. Maybe if you usually do audio with speakers, try headphones, or vice versa.

I don't want to discourage you, I think it's all fixable stuff; tweaks, not overhauls. Being critical in text almost always comes across mean or rude, but I do think you're almost there already.

If it helps, try to take a look at the edit from another perspective. Maybe if you usually do audio with speakers, try headphones, or vice versa.
I get it. It's not discouraging. The point of posting clips, at least for me, is to have other people weigh in. I miss things sometimes.

I didn't catch the blead through on the "HEY" until you pointed it out... Great catch! After I knew what I was looking for, I heard it loud and clear! So that is now corrected. I also adjusted the fades and made them blend better. I also took your advice on using a visual cue for the music change and it is now when they realize the door is jammed. Let me know if this seems better when I upload the new clip please. These are the things that are easy for me to over look and why I need your guys help...

I am going to respectfully disagree with you here. The reason is that the last shot of the guys running in the hall are towards the camera and you know they are going past that point. So the door can easily be placed behind the camera.

The R2 and 3PO footage started with a shake but stops before we get the the R1 footage, and It doesn't look to me like there is any camera shake on the R1 footage either? I noticed the alarm sound is gone when we cut to this footage, but the alarm sound was never in that hall in the until Vader shows up. So I wasn't sure if I should add it or not. It did cross my mind tough. I don't know where I can find clean audio of that alarm to add it there plus I feel like the music would drown it out anyway? Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom