• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Good, affordable chairs for reading and watching television?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I figured that being that this is a community of movie-lovers, maybe y'all might have some experience with picking out comfortable chairs for watching movies.

I'm looking for two chairs (one for my bedroom, to sit on while reading books, and another for the living room, to sit on while watching television). The problem is that my house is small, so I need something compact and ideally easy to move, but I also want something comfortable to leisurely sit in for hours, with padded armrests, and padded enough in the seat that it doesn't aggravate my tailbone (with which I am currently having some discomfort). They also need to be affordable (ideally under $150 or less). I'd like something that feels similar to a cushiony armchair, but ideally without much bulk.

I was thinking about possibly getting a chair like this, which is very light, small and portable, but also padded (this is one example of many similar chairs in the same price range):

https://www.amazon.com/Serta-Leather-Executive-Roasted-Chestnut/dp/B00AVUQP2Q/

However, every single such chair that I've looked at has some negative reviews complaining about issues like the padding going flat quickly.

Does anyone have any suggestions of any chairs that meet my criteria and have stood the test of time?

Last edited:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hope someone has some suggestions for what you're looking for. I don't know much about chair brands and styles but I have an idea that could help.

I think you might want to look into a portable gel seat cushion, maybe 20 bucks on Amazon. You can put it in your current chair or supplement a new one, but also you can use it in your car, benches if sports games ever come back, etc. Gel because it should hold up over time better than a traditional stuffed cushion, and won't have the heat (and sweat) that comes with using memory foam.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think you might want to look into a portable gel seat cushion, maybe 20 bucks on Amazon. You can put it in your current chair or supplement a new one, but also you can use it in your car, benches if sports games ever come back, etc. Gel because it should hold up over time better than a traditional stuffed cushion, and won't have the heat (and sweat) that comes with using memory foam.

Do you mean one like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Multi-Use-Breathable-Honeycomb-Wheelchair/dp/B087LWN792/

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, exactly. That one even has a little notch carved out where one's tailbone would go, which should put less pressure there. Even if it doesn't explicitly help with the pain, I am positive it will add some comfort and won't cause more pain.

Full disclosure for you and anyone else reading: I am not a doctor or any other kind of health care worker, this is not medical advice, just friendly suggestion.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Go to a Goodwill and pick one of these bad boys up:
esswmh9zooq21.jpg

My back has never been happier.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Go to a Goodwill and pick one of these bad boys up:
esswmh9zooq21.jpg

My back has never been happier.

I've been looking for used chairs at various thrift stores in my area, but haven't found any that suit what I'm looking for yet. I plan to look for some in two days at a flea market I haven't visited before.

gamerRyno

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you ever find something you like? I'm moving in a couple weeks and could use a recommendation

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you ever find something you like? I'm moving in a couple weeks and could use a recommendation
I found a great armchair at a flea market that I use for watching television in my living room.

I also found a computer chair online, but don't find it as comfortable as I had hoped. Specifically, the backrest isn't fully to my liking.

It's this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B086MJH7JX/

Top Bottom