• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) Reimagined...

NewSpock said:
Or how about this alternative one with a night-picture on the front for more atmosphere?

fquavdaumr-large.jpg

I think the problem with your cover designs is you seem to be making them off some kind of checklist of things that need to be there rather than choosing elements that work together with some cohesive artistic unity. My background is in design work and I can give you some pointers that hopefully you will take constructively.

1 The front cover's image should make sense artistically. Having a rectangular image surrounded by black can work but usually doesn't. It'd be better to start with an image that would give the audience an idea of what movie they're looking at even if the title wasn't present.

2 The title should be able to stand on its own. Think about it as though there was no image at all, would the title/logo you've used look good on a plain-color cover? By comparison, Beezo and Bob have both come up with a presentation that can stand on its own. Stop thinking about it as "a font" and start thinking about it as "a design".

3 The back cover is just as important as the front, and it looks like 3 images have been selected at random to accompany some text that was chosen at random. The only line on the back that really connects to one of the images is "Cheerleader vs the undead". The images should be smaller and more uniform so you can fit some descriptive content. A good back cover will expand upon what exactly the viewer will be watching.

4 Think about color selection. One thing you could do is use the color picker to choose colors to use for text and logos straight out of the images. Another thing you can do is use Adobe Kuler to choose a color scheme ( https://color.adobe.com/ ).

5 Think about negative space. This is all the spots on the cover that have literally nothing to look at. Negative space is not your enemy if you can organize it in such a way that it directs the viewer's eye across the cover.

I hope this helps you with this cover and with covers you may make in the future. That said, I couldn't resist giving it a shot. I know you would prefer not to use things other people create but here's my attempt at something for this edit:

ab2r28.jpg

^ Love that. It's perfectly 90s.

bionicbob said:
That is sooooooooo AWESOME!!! :)

Agreed. I like it better than what I came up with.

addiesin said:
I think the problem with your cover designs is you seem to be making them off some kind of checklist of things that need to be there rather than choosing elements that work together with some cohesive artistic unity. My background is in design work and I can give you some pointers that hopefully you will take constructively.

1 The front cover's image should make sense artistically. Having a rectangular image surrounded by black can work but usually doesn't. It'd be better to start with an image that would give the audience an idea of what movie they're looking at even if the title wasn't present.

2 The title should be able to stand on its own. Think about it as though there was no image at all, would the title/logo you've used look good on a plain-color cover? By comparison, Beezo and Bob have both come up with a presentation that can stand on its own. Stop thinking about it as "a font" and start thinking about it as "a design".

3 The back cover is just as important as the front, and it looks like 3 images have been selected at random to accompany some text that was chosen at random. The only line on the back that really connects to one of the images is "Cheerleader vs the undead". The images should be smaller and more uniform so you can fit some descriptive content. A good back cover will expand upon what exactly the viewer will be watching.

4 Think about color selection. One thing you could do is use the color picker to choose colors to use for text and logos straight out of the images. Another thing you can do is use Adobe Kuler to choose a color scheme ( https://color.adobe.com/ ).

5 Think about negative space. This is all the spots on the cover that have literally nothing to look at. Negative space is not your enemy if you can organize it in such a way that it directs the viewer's eye across the cover.

I hope this helps you with this cover and with covers you may make in the future. That said, I couldn't resist giving it a shot. I know you would prefer not to use things other people create but here's my attempt at something for this edit:

ab2r28.jpg

Thanks addiesin,

I have a lot to learn regarding coverart and you make some good points to learn from. It will help me in the future, but that takes time to grow into.

As to your cover, it's stylistically great, in the way that it has a design-idea behind it that permeates every aspect as described by yourself above. The only problem is that its tone does not fit to the edit, it's more in line with the original vision of the movie. While beezo's cover was too dark, yours is imho too cheerful.

Still, I'm impressed by your skills in creating it. Your and other people's input is inspiring and in time it will help improve my future covers. Thanks again.:)

No problem, I understood before making it that you may not want to use it. And I purposely tried to do something different from Bob and Beezo to show that you can go in a wildly different direction from anyone else and still come up with something that looks just as good. I'm glad you see how my example illustrates the points I was trying to make, that's enough for me to be happy. It does take time, there's no right answer, and sometimes you just need to throw away work and start fresh. Don't be afraid and don't let it stop you from making something that feels right to you. I hope you keep working and keep learning and I look forward to what you'll come up with. :)

addiesin said:
No problem, I understood before making it that you may not want to use it. And I purposely tried to do something different from Bob and Beezo to show that you can go in a wildly different direction from anyone else and still come up with something that looks just as good. I'm glad you see how my example illustrates the points I was trying to make, that's enough for me to be happy. It does take time, there's no right answer, and sometimes you just need to throw away work and start fresh. Don't be afraid and don't let it stop you from making something that feels right to you. I hope you keep working and keep learning and I look forward to what you'll come up with. :)

Thanks, I'll try to learn as much as possible from you and the other contributors, and someday hopefully I'll be able to come up with a satisfying cover for one of my future edits.:clock:

Excellent suggestions by addie. (Youze a good teacher, dude.)

i'd also recommend browsing professional as well as fanedited DVD and bluray cover art to see what catches your eye & why. Think of them as mini art galleries.

Since the point of the edit is to bring it more in line with the TV series what do you think about using the TV series DVDs as a stylistic guide?

asterixsmeagol said:
Since the point of the edit is to bring it more in line with the TV series what do you think about using the TV series DVDs as a stylistic guide?

That's a good idea. Will have to take my time to play around with different ideas.:)

buffyfaneditdvdcover_zpsznupuwk5.jpg
Very much looking forward to giving this a watch this weekend. I'm not sure if something like this might be what you had in mind for a cover, NewSpock, but I figured, what the heck, work's slow today :)

Scar said:
Very much looking forward to giving this a watch this weekend. I'm not sure if something like this might be what you had in mind for a cover, NewSpock, but I figured, what the heck, work's slow today :)

Wow, this one is great too! Has any edit enjoyed so many custom-made covers than this?!

Scar said:

Thanks scar, good work, another great cover and it fits more to the tone I'm going for with the edit, not too dark, but also not too cheerful.

Wow, what an amazing series of alternate covers! I'm starting to save them to my hard drive. Each one is phenomenal in a different way.

Bionic Bob's remains my favorite of the bunch. It hits the right balance between what the original movie was, and what the edit is.

Scar's is probably my next favorite.

Beezo's images were a bit dark, but overall it looked terrific.

Addiesin's cover was arguably the best looking of the bunch, but as NewSpock pointed out, it captured the feel of the original movie rather than the intended feel and tone of the edit. Still amazing work, though. Much better than anything I can do.

This has become one of my favorite threads. I can't wait to see what people are going to come up with next. :)

Thanks TomH1138 for watching and reviewing my edit, I'm glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for having inspired this edit with your original idea for the movie.:)

Just a side-note: At the bottom of your review you reference that you watched a SD-version of the edit, but there is only a HD-version.;-)

No problem at all! And thanks for the correction about the format. That's the question that always stumps me. It's all like, "Did you watch this on DVD or Blu-ray?" and I'm like, "Um...I downloaded it." :) I made the necessary adjustment to the review.

TomH1138 said:
That's the question that always stumps me. It's all like, "Did you watch this on DVD or Blu-ray?" and I'm like, "Um...I downloaded it."

Just to be clear to those reading, our review system doesn't do this ^. It gives you 5 different options, two of which are "download" format categories. But thanks for taking the time to review NewSpock's edit and for amending it to :).

Yes, you're right. I was humorously exaggerating. Sorry for causing confusion! But I never do know which of the "download" categories I'm supposed to pick. Sorry again.

Back
Top Bottom