Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
I'm only still interested in this show because I know this was just a pilot, and like most TV series I've seen the pilot and sometimes the other first few episodes aren't really that great. Plus, I am a huge fan MCU fan.

But...I found it a huge pain to watch the pilot. IMHO, it sucked. And I'm not comparing that to the MCU movies, I'm comparing to the Marvel One Shots and other network tv shows. In part, I saw this coming as there was a weird vibe I got off those trailers a bit, but I didn''t think it would be this bad.

The writing, editing, acting, directing, and cinematography were all really bad for me. Though the VFX weren't terrible except for the car. And the whole time watching, I hoped it would get better but it didn't. And I know, to not have super high expectations for TV shows, but honestly there are many more good ones out there now, it just makes this one seem so mediocre.

I'll still be watching this, but they really better pick up their game.
To me Agents of Shield was the reality check that Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones still haven't become the norm for television writing
^Yes.

Especially true for me because I literally only watch like three different TV dramas. Hell, the only network show I regularly watch is Parks and Recreation, which by the way is a million times smarter and better written than the SHIELD pilot was. A TV show really needs to be something special for me to watch it. SHIELD got lucky because I saw it as part of the MCU, but if the show doesn't appear like it's going to get better, I might seriously stop watching.
Has anyone watched the AGENT CARTER short on the IRON MAN 3 dvd?

I read Marvel is considering turning it into a tv series. If this is true, the way short ends, it seems to be set up as a prequel to AGENTS OF SHIELD....?
bionicbob Wrote:Has anyone watched the AGENT CARTER short on the IRON MAN 3 dvd?

I read Marvel is considering turning it into a tv series. If this is true, the way short ends, it seems to be set up as a prequel to AGENTS OF SHIELD....?
I have seen it and it is REALLY good. I heard about the potential TV series and have been excited by the idea for one, especially since I have a thing for period dramas. If done well, I'd love to see it become a reality.
For a pilot episode, I thought this was pretty well done. It was definitely a bit campy, but that is kinda in the same vein as the movie. The writing had sparks of originality and creativity. Definitely some potential here IMO. We'll see how the next few episodes go. Not totally sold on the casting choices yet.
Reading the wide range of opinions on this reminds me of reading the Star Trek Into Darkness and Man of Steel threads.
TV's Frink Wrote:Reading the wide range of opinions on this reminds me of reading the Star Trek Into Darkness and Man of Steel threads.

I'm just glad to not be the hater for once. :-D

Now that you mention it, there are some parallels to one of those conversations. If I had to break this pilot down further, I would say that the technical science stuff and overall narrative was good, but the characterization was a little lacking (except for the black guy with the powers).
Well, I never said I hated the pilot or the show, I just didn't think it was good. But hey, maybe I can salvage it all after season one is over, and I can get the bluray. It's kind of what this site revolves around. And compared to other pilot's, it wasn't so bad, I just so want this series to be quality.
Its probably all about expectations with the pilot. Mine were low. Hence I was pleasantly surprised.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28