Fanedit Forums

Full Version: New Shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
WATCHMEN (HBO)

Anyone watched?

My wife and I did, and we were both underwhelmed.

My bride who has never read the comic or seen the movie, gave it 6 out of 10.
Me?  I gave it a 7.

Really not sure what to make of it.  And maybe it is too soon to fully judge.

It appears to be a sequel to the comic, not the movie.  There are lots of little easter eggs and nods to the comic story.

The subject matter has intriguing moments, but it never fully gripped me.

Lindelof seems to be using race relations and police power in the same way the original used the Cold War.  Not sure if it works fully though... but again, it is too early to tell.

The main thing for me though, the comic, despite all it's political trappings, was still at its core a deconstructive piece about Super Heroes and comic book tropes.   This show, so far, is not....

So mixed feelings.  Interesting but not exciting.  This might be one of those shows where you will have to watch the whole season to see if it all clicks and you go, "....OH! Now I get it!!!"

Or not.  Tongue
HBO MAX announced two DC Comic Book based series --- GREEN LANTERN and ADAM STRANGE.

Other DC properties are also in development.
(10-21-2019, 08:13 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]WATCHMEN (HBO)

Anyone watched?

My wife and I did, and we were both underwhelmed.

My bride who has never read the comic or seen the movie, gave it 6 out of 10.
Me?  I gave it a 7.

Really not sure what to make of it.  And maybe it is too soon to fully judge.

It appears to be a sequel to the comic, not the movie.  There are lots of little easter eggs and nods to the comic story.

The subject matter has intriguing moments, but it never fully gripped me.

Lindelof seems to be using race relations and police power in the same way the original used the Cold War.  Not sure if it works fully though... but again, it is too early to tell.

The main thing for me though, the comic, despite all it's political trappings, was still at its core a deconstructive piece about Super Heroes and comic book tropes.   This show, so far, is not....

So mixed feelings.  Interesting but not exciting.  This might be one of those shows where you will have to watch the whole season to see if it all clicks and you go, "....OH! Now I get it!!!"

Or not.  Tongue

...and with the third episode the show has finally "clicked" for me.

I am all in now.   Big Grin
I watched season two of Amazon’s Jack Ryan. I was really hoping this would be the smart political/military thriller I was wanted, but it’s really very dumb. It plays much more like a Michael Bay (an executive producer of the show) movie than something smart that uses its long format to effectively. I don’t think I’ll be in for a season three.
Anyone else watching His Dark Materials? I loved the books growing up, and was appalled at the 2007 movie adaptation. Two episodes in, and I am very happy with the BBC/HBO series. One or two minor casting quibbles, but otherwise I'm fully on board.

The intro is also fantastic:
^ I will most assuredly be watching it during the holiday/semester break. I'll have to subscribe to at least a month's HBO to do so, and am sure I can knock out the eight episodes then.
An odd looking sci-fi comedy from writer/creator/producer/director Armando Iannucci coming to HBO:

Everything Iannucci has ever done before in his long career has been genius, so I assume this will be no different.
My wife wanted to watch the new Apple show Morning Show. It didn’t all drop at once so I’ve only seen half the season. But so far, it’s ... okay. I was hoping for a Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip but with something central to really sink its teeth into (the MeToo movement). The movement is handled at times well and at times ridiculously clumsily. The show itself doesn’t come close to Studio 60 in terms of quality. I’m sure we’ll end up watching the remainder of the season, but I can’t say I would recommend it so far.
The End of the F***ing World

I watched both series of this show in 1 day and I can say without a doubt, it is one of my favourite TV shows of all time. Series 1 is like a modern day version of Bonnie and Clyde, while series 2 presents an interesting scenario (and despite what the name may suggest, it has nothing to do with the apocalypse). While series 2 is not as good as series 1, the ending makes it all worth it. It's a shame it hasn't been released on home media yet, as I would love to do a fanedit of it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34