Fanedit Forums

Full Version: New Shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
KRYPTON on Syfy...

Watched the first two episodes....

The pilot is extremely well made, it does lots of heavy lifting effectively and places a lot of plot balls in the air that it holds your interest and makes you ask questions.   The production values are amazing!  They have thrown a ton of money at this show... some amazing sets and cool costumes.  The cast is also very strong and engaging.

As a long time Superman fan, I loved the blending of various different incarnations (from Donner to Snyder, with many first time nods to over 70years of comic lore) into something new but familiar.  From what I can tell, this series is an entirely new universe and is NOT a prequel to Man of  Steel (the series is created/executive produceed by David Goyer) as was originally announced over 2 years ago.  It also does not seem to tied to the CW Arrowverse Supergirl show either.   So for some this may be a boon, for others it could be franchise confusion.

Favourite moment of the pilot, the use of the John Williams Superman theme --truly awesome!!!

The big weakness of the pilot, and perhaps the series as a whole, is the stupid ticking clock/time travel element the show felt it had to have.   Apparently Superman is in danger in the future because Brainiac travelled back in time to alter history so there is no Superman.   When a show does a plot like this (Enterprise anyone?), to me it says the producers or network do not have enough faith that the show can not stand on its own.   It must somehow be a Superman show without Superman in it.  

Also, as DC nerd, I dislike how they are using the character Adam Strange... mostly because of the time travel element, but also if you are going to use a Comic Book Hero, why don't you make him look like his character?  Its an alien technology advanced planet, why can't the character be in his classic space suit costume?  He would blend in better than wearing Earth clothes and a Detroit Tigers baseball cap.

As for the second episode "House of El", while many plot points are advanced, much of it felt very predictable.

Final thoughts.... a gorgeous looking series, built on frustrating premise, that while interesting I did not find gripping or compelling.
I will watch a few more eps to see where it goes, but thus far a 7 out of 10. Blush
Finally finished the Netflix 'Punisher' last night, a bit punishing to get through (pun intended) especially around mid season.  I will give the second season a chance when it comes around, the main storyline was a pretty dull 24/homeland cast off and some of the supporting cast were pretty bland, it does find its feet in the latter episodes though. Theres probably a decent 8-10 episode season in there but hopefully next season it will raise its game now they've done all the (not really all that) necessary character building it felt obliged to provide.  Not too bad but didn't feel at all like a 'Punisher' TV series for most of the season.
Heh. Punisher.

Watched the first two free episodes on Youtube this morning....

Very enjoyable.   Feels like a faithful continuation, not a mocking/comedic reboot/parody.

It effectively taps into how those childhood/teen traumas continue to haunt and shape you, no matter how much mature and perspective you gain.

I may sign up for the 30 day free trial of Redtube, just binge watch this series.

If you are a fan of the original, I recommend you check it out.  Smile
So this dropped....

So they destroy the iconic Ferrari in the pilot...?  Subtle.  Not.  Dodgy

By the same guys behind the rebooted MacGyver and Hawaii Five-O.... so my expectations are very, very, very low. Confused
Finished watching the first season of the new LOST IN SPACE on Netflix...

Refreshingly, a reboot done right!

Solid cast.  Great production values.  Entertaining story.

The pacing is slightly uneven at times, and for the first two or three episodes, some of the character feel a bit bland/generic, but as the series progress, they do all develop and eventually many even become quite endearing.

The series avoids all the current modern tv traps of going dark and gritty, and adheres to staying true to the spirit of the original by focusing on the strength of family and the wonder of exploration and the endurance of the human spirit.

The Robot is given a fresh reinterpretation that works very well.  Parker Posey's Dr. Smith is very unhinged, dangerous and manipulative.... closer in tone to original Dr. Smith from the first season of the original series before he became comedic relief.

While watching, I kept thinking the series has a modern Spielberg quality that works well with the material.   This is the type of show that has something for everyone and works for all ages without dumbing down anything for younger viewers.

An excellent freshman season and I look forward to season two.  
8 out of 10.
Big Grin
(05-17-2018, 01:11 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]So this dropped....

Twice apparently...or was the first one different?
(05-19-2018, 04:27 AM)Zarius Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2018, 01:11 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]So this dropped....

Twice apparently...or was the first one different?

Robin is loaded, so I suppose he could have more than one....?

And to be fair, they did blow up the Ferrari in the classic two parter "Did You See The Sunrise?" and Thomas got a new one.

And since we are on the subject, here is probably one of the greatest scenes ever from the series....
(05-03-2018, 10:32 AM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]

Watched the first two free episodes on Youtube this morning....

Very enjoyable.   Feels like a faithful continuation, not a mocking/comedic reboot/parody.

If you are a fan of the original, I recommend you check it out.  Smile
Finished the series last night, they have done a brilliant job with this and I was really surprised just how funny it is. I thought a second season might be pushing the goodwill but seeing how things played out can't wait to see it now. If only all reboots were this good.
Netflix's SAFE

A teenage girl goes missing.
A body found in a pool.
And a gated community filled with scandalous secrets.

A pulpy, soapy mystery filled with misdirection, twists and addictive cliffhangers.  Very enjoyable, like reading  trashy paperback on the beach while on summer vacation.  Though I am not certain about Michael Hall's accent?  Regardless, at 8 episodes, it is a satisfying watch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34