Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
very cool that there is the option to watch the original or the new VFX version on the upcoming blu-ray!
(06-27-2018, 09:16 AM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]New CGI FX comparison for the upcoming Blu-ray for the Cyberman episode....

It may just be me but I much prefer the original.  Part of the charm, at least for me, of older TV shows are the sets, wardrobe, effects, etc.  They did something similar to this for Star Trek The Original Series and I didn't like it then either.  Even though that ship was a model, I think it holds up much more than that questionable CG.  Not only that, but that CG will be even more dated than it already is in just a few years.
(06-27-2018, 09:23 AM)ThrowgnCpr Wrote: [ -> ]very cool that there is the option to watch the original or the new VFX version on the upcoming blu-ray!

My apologies, I didn't see this comment before making my own.  If you do indeed have the option to watch either one, I'm more for that.  I'm sure there are many people who don't share my opinion and like the updated graphics.
I agree that the originals have a lot of charm and should always be preserved. The update is just a fun "what-if" in my opinion. It's like an updated Star Wars - I'd be okay with George Lucas' fuckery as long as he made the theatrical version available.
Valid point  , once I saw your comment about being able to choose either option I was on board with the updates.  As for Star Wars, I'll share that same opinion if Disney ever releases the unaltered trilogy which seems more of an option if their purchase of Fox is ever finalized.  Nevertheless, enough about Star Wars and back to The Doctor  Smile
Unboxing of the UK blu-ray set and the packaging looks so nice:

The earlier US set has apparently got an audio issue with one episode but I'm yet to hear if they've fixed it for the UK release next week.
I'm glad they took a Star Trek TOS approach for re-touching the effects - that is, making them optional.  Clean, detailed CGI renders simply don't work when intercut with the vintage costume/set/production design of shows like this.
(06-27-2018, 06:36 PM)TM2YC Wrote: [ -> ]Unboxing of the UK blu-ray set and the packaging looks so nice:

I am so jelly.  The UK release looks gorgeous.

The North American blu-ray appears to lack all the cool niffy packaging.  On the flip side, it is thinner than the UK release and will fit on the Blu ray shelf nicely.

When I get mine, I will probably redo the cover so it says Season 12 instead of Season 1.   Why do they feel they need to dumb it down for us across the pond?   Tongue
(06-27-2018, 07:02 PM)matrixgrindhouse Wrote: [ -> ]I'm glad they took a Star Trek TOS approach for re-touching the effects - that is, making them optional.  Clean, detailed CGI renders simply don't work when intercut with the vintage costume/set/production design of shows like this.

I'm of mixed opinion, personally. But I think there can be merit to it, so I'll play devil's advocate for the changes. New viewers are more likely to watch the altered version, and it really seems tailored to them, but also the alterations can allow the script to be better translated to video. In the example clip, the original version had a guy turning a knob but the image on their screen remained the same, and the altered version showed a different image for each knob turn. Little things like that make the intent clearer.

In the end having the choice is the important thing, but if you think about it it's kinda like having the choice between the more faithful reproduction if the original broadcast and the more faithful reproduction of the writer and/or director's vision.

That's what George would probably say, anyway.
(06-27-2018, 10:53 AM)ThrowgnCpr Wrote: [ -> ]That's what George would probably say, anyway.

George would probably add more rocks to this scene.