Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I were to order a Doctor Who Audio Story from Big Finish, which would to recommend? Any MUST HEAR productions that add to the mythology???
Well, considering that McGann only got to play Eighth on screen once, I'd definitely say his Eighth Doctor Adventures (and New Eighth Doctor Adventures) are a good place to start. I started with "Mary's Story," which (IIRC) is about $1 US to download, since it's a short one that was originally a part of a compilation.

I really, really liked it because it places The Doctor with Lord Byron, the Shelleys, and Dr. Polidori during the weekend that led to the writing of Frankenstein (I considered specializing in Romanticism for a while when I was going for my MA). It also most definitely adds to the mythology, and not just because Eighth is in it...

I'm also slowly working my way through other Eighth Doctor Adventures. Blood of the Daleks is a really good, very creepy and menacing adventure, making great use of sound to add suspense...
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

Don't know if I was just not in a Who mood, but this one pretty much disappointed me.

A cute idea whose execution did not live up to it's potential.

To me, everything just felt way too forced and too convenient and too sentimental.
Too much humor. Or attempts at humor. Poorly careening from slapstick to dark drama.
The 2 robots felt like the twins from Bayformers 2.
The same gene pool solution way too obvious and not even well done.
The Ponds getting short shifted again with guest stars.
Why couldn't Earth self destruct the missiles once the Ark was moving away?
Why did the raptors conveniently wait outside for the hunter guy to return instead of attacking?
Why didn't the scanner recognize the Doctor as a Time Lord? They have in past episodes.

It was not all bad. There were a couple nice, touching moments.
Loved Rory's dad sitting on the edge of the Tardis eating his lunch looking down on the Earth.

In the end, it felt like Moffat and the crew were too ambitious and tried to be a bit of everything and not quite succeeding at anything.:-(

Hopefully, next week will be better. :-)
It was definitely a lighter episode, but I think we may look back on it and see that all was not as breezy as it appeared. Too many hints of foreboding from The Doctor -- his looks, his reluctance to let the Ponds go, his conversation with Amy...I think something quite, quite bad may be coming, and as usual, he knows it first because he's already been there.
hebrides Wrote:It was definitely a lighter episode, but I think we may look back on it and see that all was not as breezy as it appeared. Too many hints of foreboding from The Doctor -- his looks, his reluctance to let the Ponds go, his conversation with Amy...I think something quite, quite bad may be coming, and as usual, he knows it first because he's already been there.

I agree with you there. Those were the good moments for me. But I felt it lost some of its impact buried in much of the over the top silliness.

It was still a fun episode, I just wish it felt more balanced, slightly more subtle (I realize it is Dr. Who...LOL!) and less in your face.

But that said, my 12 year old daughter LOVED it!!! She laughed herself silly and nearly cried when the dinosaur got shot. So what do I know...? :lol:
hebrides Wrote:It was definitely a lighter episode, but I think we may look back on it and see that all was not as breezy as it appeared. Too many hints of foreboding from The Doctor -- his looks, his reluctance to let the Ponds go, his conversation with Amy...I think something quite, quite bad may be coming, and as usual, he knows it first because he's already been there.

My thoughts exactly, there's a storm coming. I like the way the newer Doctor Who series' seem to have some form of back story running through them, keeps it interesting and there's a constant feeling that just round the corner something major is about to occur.
And a few nice cameos as well. The robots with Mitchell and Webb's voices, great stuff.
I thought it was terrific fun all the way through. I guess it might seem like a comedown to some after "Asylum," but I thought it worked very well on its own terms. Of course, it helped that I saw two very boring classic serials - "Planet of the Daleks" and "Delta and the Bannermen" - in between.

I liked the mashup of different types of storylines. Instead of just giving us a historical story or just a story set in space, we had historical characters and futuristic characters and all other kinds of craziness happening at once!

I love Rory's dad. He's the new Wilf.

And in the midst of all the fun, there was that serious conversation between the Doctor and Amy, about how she can't ever have a normal life because she's always expecting him to come back for her. The scene was very well played by the actors, and it reminded me greatly of the scene in "Fear Her" where Rose says that she's going to travel with the Doctor forever - and then she's gone a few episodes later. I don't think the similarities in the conversations are a coincidence.

Interesting that the Doctor has dropped off the Ponds back at home two weeks in a row. I thought this was odd, but then I heard a very interesting theory about that - which I won't share here in case it turns out to be true! Smile
next time....

The BBC has finally released a synopsis for the upcoming episode "THE POWER OF THREE"....

"The day the Earth got cubed. The year of the slow invasion. The time the Doctor came to stay."

There have been many ways to invade the Earth, and the Doctor has seen them all. Or so he always thought - and then the human race wakes up one morning and discovers the world has been overrun by... small black cubes. Which then proceed to... do nothing much at all. A plan is afoot, humanity is endangered - but by what and how and, above all, when? For the first time in his world-saving career the Doctor has to call upon the least of his virtues: patience. And the Ponds face something possibly more terrifying than any world-ending apocalypse - the Doctor is moving in!

Not just a tale of alien intervention, this is also the story of a nice young couple who happen to have a bow-tied lunatic from space staying in their spare room. It's halfway between an alien invasion movie and The Man Who Came to Dinner.
Oh, wow. That episode sounds nothing short of amazing!