Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(07-17-2017, 08:05 AM)Q2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2017, 02:59 AM)dangermouse Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine being a 10 year old boy who is a Doctor Who fan. Imagine now the teasing and catcalls on the playground. "Are you going to turn into a woman too?" "Gay!" etc. Kids are cruel. A positive male role model who doesn't use his fists to solve problems or to get the girl or to save the galaxy has been turned into a woman. Doh!

This is just an ignorant comment. It's in the same vein as, "Why should there be Black Pride Month? We should get White Pride Month too!" or "Black Lives Matter is stupid! All lives matter! We'll completely ignore the fact that most white people stopped by the police aren't shot on sight." (Yes I'm exaggerating to an extent, but hopefully you get the point.)

Q2 - this post is bang out of order, and I think you should apologise. Implying that not being deliriously in favour of the Doctor being a woman is the same as hating Black Pride Month is both rude and foolish. If we all started calling everyone we disagreed with a racist this forum would degenerate pretty quickly.
Dangermouse, I don't know how old you are, but it's possible that the concerns you have about this are generational. From the conversations I have with my teenage daughter, I think young people are much less hung up on gender roles, sexuality and the like than my generation were growing up. 

Of course the BBC have done this to cause a stir - despite the way it receives income, it is still a business and therefore in the business to increase ratings. But it's still the right time to do this. Even so, I think they have still played it on the safe side somewhat by casting an attractive, white, blonde actress. Small steps, though. Small steps.
(Doctor) Who cares?

I don't like this show at all so I'll never watch it anyway, but I'm fine with a female Doctor. It's nice to have equity in acting. It does seem like it's hyperpolarized on female leads right now, but that is probably only because the stories with big followings (Star Wars/Trek, Doctor Who, etc) are casting women in lead roles. It's still very much a man's trade.
I have two boys--7 and 5--and I think your argument is stupid. And I'm not "deliriously happy" since I'm not even a Doctor Who fan nor do I watch it.

That said, I do remember what it was like to be into sci-fi and fantasy and role-playing. I was also in band if you want to go down that road, and this was all back in the early 90's when being a geek/nerd wasn't "in". I had a good group of friends and none of us were picked on or made fun of even though we were in that unpopular clique. I don't know what it's like being in middle school or high school today (I'm sure it's much more difficult with the 24/7 bullying that can happen thanks to cellphones and social media) but being a geek certainly doesn't have that stigmatism it once had. You can make that argument simply by the plethora of superhero movies and sci-fi TV shows.

No one knee-jerk reacted and called you a misogynist, but now that you mention it all I see in the Twitter hate is a bunch of misogynistic men (boys?) feeling emasculated. The same thing happened when Idris Elba was announced as Roland for The Dark Tower: all these people freaked out because he was black. Who cares? Is he, or she in the case of Doctor Who, a good actor? That's all that should matter.

And didn't Doctor Who set up the fact the Doc could be a woman several years ago? I think so.
They've set this up in the show for about a decade. This isn't even the first time this character has regenerated into a female actor. See the Curse of Fatal Death. 

Danger mouse, you seem to be projecting your insecurities onto others. You appear very emotionally invested in your stance, and so far haven't shown any out of the box thinking on the issue. You say you're worried about the possibility of some children picking on other children. Well, children are mean, and if one wants to pick on another, they will regardless of whether they like a lady character. I feel like this is basic and shouldn't need to be said. But I was picked on for years as a kid, basically til puberty, and can tell you first hand it didn't matter one bit what I liked or didn't like. Your line of thinking here is at best flawed and at worst needlessly sexist.

And you're ignoring actual points against your argument, instead getting offended (while retaining the objectively more offensive perspective). 

I will say once more but on the form of a question: in your opinion, why can't a woman be a role model for a boy?
(07-17-2017, 12:21 PM)dangermouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2017, 08:05 AM)Q2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2017, 02:59 AM)dangermouse Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine being a 10 year old boy who is a Doctor Who fan. Imagine now the teasing and catcalls on the playground. "Are you going to turn into a woman too?" "Gay!" etc. Kids are cruel. A positive male role model who doesn't use his fists to solve problems or to get the girl or to save the galaxy has been turned into a woman. Doh!

This is just an ignorant comment. It's in the same vein as, "Why should there be Black Pride Month? We should get White Pride Month too!" or "Black Lives Matter is stupid! All lives matter! We'll completely ignore the fact that most white people stopped by the police aren't shot on sight." (Yes I'm exaggerating to an extent, but hopefully you get the point.)

Q2 - this post is bang out of order, and I think you should apologise. Implying that not being deliriously in favour of the Doctor being a woman is the same as hating Black Pride Month is both rude and foolish. If we all started calling everyone we disagreed with a racist this forum would degenerate pretty quickly.

To repeat myself...careful.  Things are already degenerating pretty quickly and I'm not in the mood to let it continue much longer.
[Image: DE4dJFbXYAAiBRW.jpg]
"Well I won't be watching" is really all that anyone opposed should need to say.
Why don't we all take some time out on this discussion to cool down. How about say 50 years?

Then when we've had the next 13 Doctors all be women, we can start discussing things not being equal.
But I'll be dead then.