Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I dream of having the talent to put together a fan made Time War movie showing the change from McGann to Eccleston. Or having an official followup to the 1995 film showing just that. Maybe someday.
Hey all.... Zarius, I in no way meant my rant to be taken so personally and I apologise if I upset or annoyed you at all. Maybe I was a little harsh, and as Bob says, it really is just my own opinion and in no way do I pretend that I know better than anybody else.

Also, there are many stories within the classic series which have been pretty awful, including nearly all of poor Sylvester McCoy's dodgy first season, not to mention as you pointed out when Graham Williams allowed Tom Baker too much of a free hand with his own style of humour during the period of Horns of Nimon and the like.

I have honestly enjoyed many stories of new Doctor Who, particularly David Tennant's season with Martha, with Blink being one of my absolute favourites. And yes, that's written by Moffat. So, I don't hate the guy or anything like that. I just think he's supplied much better scripts when he has not been producer.

Oh, and as for "pretending to love the show".... honestly, it's a show which I genuinely do love... hence why those feelings within the rant came forth, as I just don't like the way which Moffat is going. Again, just my opinion mind.

Peace man Wink
Hey LS,

I don't think you have anything to apologize for, you were just expressing your own passionate, personal opinion.

That is one of the things the forum is for, to discuss differing opinions without fear of others turning it into a personal attack.

I certainly did not take your "rant" as a personal attack, and no one else should either.

As I said before, I am not well versed in the history and lore of Doctor Who and greatly enjoy hearing different perspectives. So please, continue to share with us. Smile
addiesin Wrote:I dream of having the talent to put together a fan made Time War movie showing the change from McGann to Eccleston. Or having an official followup to the 1995 film showing just that. Maybe someday.

That would be cool.

I have never listened to any of the BIG FINISH AUDIO PRODUCTIONS,
but do any of them deal with the Time War? I believe McGann has done several productions for them???
There isn't one straightforward story about it in any of the novels or audio dramas, but there are a bunch of stories that tell about smaller things that happened - the side skirmishes and stuff. The telling of how the Time War ended was relegated to what the Tenth Doctor mentioned it in the two-parter "The End of Time," which IMHO was awful.

For the 50th anniversary, I'd like to see a story where the Eleventh Doctor has to go back in time to the Time War and change something, thus allowing a fuller view of how it ended, and maybe he could even change some of what happens. Paul McGann is still in good shape, so he could play the Eighth Doctor in it! (Multi-Doctor stories were fairly common in the classic era.)

To learn more about the Time War, you can read up about it on this page of the Doctor Who Wiki (it's a really great resource that I use constantly):

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Last_Great_Time_War
I am not certain what I want to see for the 50th.

I read there is a RUMOR of a live tv episode.

A multi-Doctor team up would be cool if the threat is epic enough to warrant it.

Maybe a "Forrest Gump" style episode (like they did with Deep Space Nine) with the Doctor going back to "fix" some of his past mistakes and popping into the background of past classic storylines?
TomH1138 Wrote:There isn't one straightforward story about it in any of the novels or audio dramas, but there are a bunch of stories that tell about smaller things that happened - the side skirmishes and stuff. The telling of how the Time War ended was relegated to what the Tenth Doctor mentioned it in the two-parter "The End of Time," which IMHO was awful.

For the 50th anniversary, I'd like to see a story where the Eleventh Doctor has to go back in time to the Time War and change something, thus allowing a fuller view of how it ended, and maybe he could even change some of what happens. Paul McGann is still in good shape, so he could play the Eighth Doctor in it! (Multi-Doctor stories were fairly common in the classic era.)

Agreed about McGann, and he has repeatedly said that he'd be interested if it were offered. Couple that with the debut of Eighth's "new costume" a while back -- with a coat that was reminiscent of but not identical to Ninth's, an Indy-like satchel, and a very steampunk-ish sonic screwdriver designed by WETA -- and it seems almost criminal not to bring him back in some form or other, particularly since McGann has hinted that that particular outfit is more suited to a soldier (or sailor) in time of war.

I'd also love to see his different takes on the Doctor explored in live action. He brought some of the boyish enthusiasm from the movie into some of the audio adventures. In "Mary's Story," though, he gets to play both that and a world-weary, battle-scarred veteran version of Eighth...it would be very interesting to see how he got from one to the other.
TomH1138 Wrote:For the 50th anniversary, I'd like to see a story where the Eleventh Doctor has to go back in time to the Time War and change something, thus allowing a fuller view of how it ended, and maybe he could even change some of what happens. Paul McGann is still in good shape, so he could play the Eighth Doctor in it! (Multi-Doctor stories were fairly common in the classic era.)

Now that would be something! :-)

How about a theory? I believe the Weeping Angels originated as Time Lords/Ladies. Why? The episode End of Time. "The Woman" (whom I believe to be the Doctor's mother) opposes Rassilon and he punishes her and another Time Lord by making them cover their eyes. I thought of the Angels immediately and thought there must be more to that. What if Rassilon had some sort of power to keep Time Lords alive through the destruction of Gallifrey by preserving them as creatures of stone? Or what if it was an unintentional effect of the time war(since it seems to be linked to a punishment)? What if The Crack is a crack in the lock on the time war? The lock is breaking slowly, caused by The Master, and the Angels that get sucked into it would be returning to Gallifrey/Heaven/Hell depending on how you'd look at it. AH, SPECULATION!

And lastly, a little rant. While I was a bit torn by the new episode, I think it achieved something that I've never seen before, if only for a moment: scary Daleks. I am a big Nu-Who fan and have just never found Daleks or Cybermen to be threatening. In fact I find them to be annoyingly similar in their goals, weakness, and overall execution. They're in metal cases so they think they're superior to humans and other life forms. However, they're dumber, slower, can't feel emotion, and have their minds attached to a network so they don't have individual identities and are basically slow, stupid, faceless, nameless badguys. Even in large numbers, think the Dalek invasion, they're only a threat because of the large numbers. Once I really thought about it and researched a bit, that pretty much accounts for EVERY robotic character in Doctor Who.

What's it take to get Cybermen with a REAL upgrade? One where they move like fast predatory animal or a spider or something and operate in the dark and snatch and convert you in secret and leave pieces of you behind in a trail for your loved ones to follow to their own conversion in a secluded room.
How about Daleks? Sure, it was creepy when Rory was walking around in the most recent episodes and they were coming back to life, and I love the idea of Dalek people with the glowy forehead (though again, isn't that just Daleks "converting" people into Daleks, killing their human selves in the process... just like Cybermen?) but what would be a good big change to make Daleks fresh and scary again? What if they didn't talk? What if they were just silent. You walk up to it, ask a question, assume it's dead and BAM! Dead. Daleks, silent killers. That's the best I've got. Until tomorrow...
So TORCHWOOD MIRACLE DAY is now on Netflix, so I forced myself to restart it and finish it this time.

I will admit, I actually enjoyed it more this time, while I applaud how ambitious the story is, it definitely did not warrant 10 episodes to tell it, it felt far too long and stretched out beyond belief! But the last episode was a nail biter and I was totally glued until the very last scene. But the whole series ends on a frakking cliffhanger!!! No resolution for the Big Bads and a hint at a PLAN B!!! I hate that! And considering it did fairly poorly on the STARZ network, I don't know if or when there will be another series. And since RTD is not part of Dr. Who anymore, I doubt we will see any story tie up over there?

Which begs the question, if STARZ produced series four of Torchwood, is it part of the Dr. Who universe still?
If so, you think an event as massive as Miracle Day would have got a mention somewhere in series 5 or 6, since Amy and Rory would be living through this apocalyptic event? Or maybe it did get a nod and I missed it???