Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Despite not being a fan of superhero movies, nor a fan of the Capaldi/Moffat Doctor, I enjoyed the "Christmas" special. That was one of the best, if not the best Capaldi episode.  The only complaints I had were that it really didn't have any business being labeled as a Christmas special (they could have just reserved this for one of the main season episodes), and Nardole was kind of a throw-away character here.

I've said it before, but I really don't like Capaldi's Doctor. I think it's mostly the writing unsure of whether to make him different than the previous 3 doctors, or to keep him the same. For his part, I think Capaldi has also been struggling with that paradox. He's been getting better, but I don't want to wait around for however many seasons it takes all of them to figure it out. Maybe it was because they were playing off of the same archetype for the previous three doctors, but Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith were all fantastic, and instantly settled into the role. I would guess that Capaldi's tenure as the Doctor isn't coming to an end anytime soon. Hopefully there is good chemistry with Pearl Mackie's character.
Has anyone been listening to BIG FINISH's River Song series?
Is it good?  Worth purchasing?

Love this very James Bond promotion trailer!  I may have to check this series out.
(01-10-2017, 07:01 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone been listening to BIG FINISH's River Song series?
Is it good?  Worth purchasing?

Love this very James Bond promotion trailer!  I may have to check this series out.

It's alright, let's leave it at that.
(01-30-2017, 09:06 PM)matrixgrindhouse Wrote: [ -> ]This upcoming season will be Peter Capaldi's last.

I'm happy to hear that. I'm very curious to see where they take the doctor next.
(01-31-2017, 08:11 AM)ThrowgnCpr Wrote: [ -> ]I'm happy to hear that. I'm very curious to see where they take the doctor next.

Oh me too!  Capaldi's Doctor hasn't grabbed me at all and for my wife and I the last few seasons have become quite a chore to watch.  It's not Capaldi as I find him to be a facinating actor, it's Moff and his over the top timey whimey I can do whatever I want because he's a time traveling alien approach.
I really like Capaldi, and I'm a little bummed, but really I'm just glad Moffat's leaving. If that means we have to have a new Doctor, so be it. But man, that guy made a mess behind him. I defended him for years, and years, and while the Doctor Who we got was up to par, the seasons never had that cohesion and they were so few and far between that you'd be forgiven for thinking the show was cancelled. The more I think about Moffat in charge of Doctor Who the more I think of all the wasted time, opportunity, story threads, etc. Sad to say I think that Moffat's "I'm a brilliant writer who delivers things you'd NEVER EXPECT" attitude has bled over too much into Sherlock as well. Unlike the two a youze up above, I grew really attached to Capaldi the actor, and like him a lot better than Smith, but not as much as Tennant.
Loved Capaldi, and will always stick up for Moffat's time as showrunner. There were plenty of misses in his era, but there's a good few underappreciated touchdowns because the audience just did'nt have the paitence for 'em.

Here's to the next era fairing better with the majority of the wordlwide audience, though I fear casuals will never accept anyone other than Tennant or some young hotshot with a romantic notion for the companion.
Capaldi leaving = bad.

Moffat leaving = good.

Capaldi's been my favourite Doctor since the show was brought back. Also the writing for his dialogue has been the best too. However Moffat's overly complicated plots have been not so great.

Back in the day, Doctor Who show-runners weren't allowed to be writers for the show (Although this rule was occasionally broken using false names), so they could be objective about the script quality. 14 out of the last 24 episodes (and all the specials) that have featured Capaldi were written by Moffat.

Hopefully the new audience has now acclimatised to The Doctor being old again and we won't instantly lurch back to the tired twenty-something Doc and his twenty-something human female love-interest formula.

I can't think of any good replacements right now. EDIT: Yes I can...

[Image: 8999b89a183934916eb75f9d2b6f4ae6.jpg]

Alexander Siddig. He's recently been on the BBC in 'Peaky Blinders' and has a Sci-Fi/Fantasy pedigree from GOT and DS9. Plus he's done a few Doctor Who audioplays.
I had no problem with the Doctor being "old" again (hell, I rather enjoy William Hartnell's Doctor). I also really like Capaldi as an actor. But I thought his time as Doctor was really unenjoyable. I think it was a combination of the writing not knowing what to do with the new approach, and Capaldi not really pushing what he should be doing with the character. The episodes marginally improved over time, but many were a chore to watch.