Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think I'll start avoiding this thread until I'm 100% current.
thecuddlyninja Wrote:I think I'll start avoiding this thread until I'm 100% current.

Probably a good idea. Though this may be a good place and time to remind people posting there is such thing as a spoiler tag.

See?

Sigh, I should probably use them more too, specifically to avoid ruining stuff for peeps.
Here is some cool dvd news!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/16/o...d-release/

So apparently the copyright laws in the UK is very convoluted, and while the BBC owns Doctor Who directly, they do not own many of the supporting character/concepts? So this has allowed fans to create their own spin-off projects, many times using the original actors reprising their DW roles.

One such project was called DOWNTIME. Made 20 years ago it stars the Brigidier and Sarah Jane and the Abdominable Snowman!

Never heard of this before but it sounds like awesome retro fun! I hope it receives a North American release. Smile
bionicbob Wrote:One such project was called DOWNTIME. Made 20 years ago it stars the Brigidier and Sarah Jane and the Abdominable Snowman!

Looks decent.

[Image: David-J-Howe-Nicholas-Courtney-in-Downtime-600x906.jpg]

^ Caption competition?
bionicbob Wrote:Here is some cool dvd news!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/16/o...d-release/

So apparently the copyright laws in the UK is very convoluted, and while the BBC owns Doctor Who directly, they do not own many of the supporting character/concepts? So this has allowed fans to create their own spin-off projects, many times using the original actors reprising their DW roles.

One such project was called DOWNTIME. Made 20 years ago it stars the Brigidier and Sarah Jane and the Abdominable Snowman!

Never heard of this before but it sounds like awesome retro fun! I hope it receives a North American release. Smile

Pre Ordered
Here's some behind the scenes info....

Has anyone watched any of the other DW independent spin-offs?
The Autons?
Shakedown?
Any thoughts or recommendations?
Ok, so I watched latest adventure, "The Girl Who Died"....

I thought the first 3/4s was "meh", while the last act had some strong emotional strokes but....

It still does not make sense to me why he chose that particular face? I mean over thousand years of exploits passed between that adventure and his last regeneration? There was a lot of heartache and lost lives between then. But I thought it was an interesting addition to the lore that a Time Lord can choose his regeneration form.

The whole hybrid story does not work at all for me or at least how Moffatt went about it.... if such healing/immortal technology already exists in the universe, why doesn't everyone use it? Why all the all megalomaniac villains seeking immortality? Why didn't Cassandra (skin lady) use it? It makes absolutely no sense to me within the established canon or rules of the established Whoverse as I know it. It would be different if this was unique alien tech, but the way the Doctor described it, is sounds very common place...
bionicbob Wrote:It still does not make sense to me why he chose that particular face? I mean over thousand years of exploits passed between that adventure and his last regeneration? There was a lot of heartache and lost lives between then. But I thought it was an interesting addition to the lore that a Time Lord can choose his regeneration form.

The second doctor was allowed to choose his face in The War games! So it was nothing new (And as a side note, I don't really like The War Games, not bad, just OK and disappointing.).
wilhelm scream Wrote:The second doctor was allowed to choose his face in The War games! So it was nothing new (And as a side note, I don't really like The War Games, not bad, just OK and disappointing.).

I did not know that.. lol. Never seen War Games, its on the long list of classic Who I need to watch.... sigh...

Speaking of, I just order The Web of Fear and The Ice Warrior. I wish The Invasion was still in print for Region One. DW region one dvds are soooooo expensive already, and as soon as they go out of print their price sky rockets. The Invasion, Battlefield, The Two Doctors (all on my must want list lol) are all a couple hundred dollars each! Craziness.:-oBig Grin
bionicbob Wrote:I did not know that.. lol. Never seen War Games, its on the long list of classic Who I need to watch.... sigh...

You might need a few days because it's 10x25 episodes! The Whoflix version is better, at 3x45 episodes!