Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We're getting an early two-parter this year, and Toby Whithouse (School Reunion, Vampires of Venice, God Complex, A Town Called Mercy) is back!

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/toby-whitho...-71155.htm
Zarius Wrote:Reading Doctor Who Magazine, and Moffat has hinted Bernice Summerfield and River Song were married at one point and had adventures together:o

That...doesn't even make any sense.

River has only ever been in love with the Doctor, ever. After the events of "Let's Kill Hitler," she devoted her life to finding out information about him and having adventures with him. When would she have been married to Bernice? When she was called Mels back in high school?

Also, while I don't know much about Bernice, I know her by reputation. (For those wondering, she was created specifically for the spinoff novels, and has become so popular in those and in audio plays that she even has her own non-Doctor based stories.) The TARDIS Wiki clearly indicates that she's married to Jason Kane. The Doctor came to her wedding because it was a unique event, i.e., it's not like she had been married a bunch of times before.

So again I ask, when could she possibly have been married to River? When she's an old lady and River (Mels) is a teenager?

It's not unusual for fans to write weird slashfic, but it's strange when the show runner does the same.
Zarius Wrote:We're getting an early two-parter this year, and Toby Whithouse (School Reunion, Vampires of Venice, God Complex, A Town Called Mercy) is back!

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/toby-whitho...-71155.htm

Well, I liked one of those, anyway. Smile (School Reunion) I'll keep an open mind.

Having just finished a run on Sarah Jane Adventures, I hope that Gareth Roberts and Phil Ford have contributions this year, as I really liked their work on SJA.

Meanwhile, John Barrowman is reporting that Torchwood is probably coming back as a series of audio dramas:

http://www.blastr.com/2015-1-14/torchwoo...mean-comic

That show wasn't my cup of tea, but I'm glad for the fans that there'll be some new stories for them.
Did'nt Benny divorce Jason in Eternity Weeps? I definitely know Big Finish

killed him off
some years back
Just rewatched the 1996 TV Movie. It's still full of problems but the total stylistic and tonal disconnect of it 20 years ago has lessened after years of the new series.

It's a while since I've seen it and the first time in the excellent looking DVD transfer in the Revisitations-1 boxset. I remembered it looking like a bland 90s US sitcom on the original broadcast but here it looks nicely shot and lit and even directed with a bit of visual flair at times. It'd be nice to see a Blu-Ray of this if it was all shot on 35mm.

The Tardis looks generally amazing and like the sets of the new series. McGann is of course excellent and every scene with him in works. The music is of variable quality but better than I'd recalled. It was cool to notice that certain parts of the score show an influence on Murray Gold's epic 2005 "I Am The Doctor" theme. Compare from 00.20 onwards in this track...

...to about a minute into this...

The problems: Eric Roberts is still a f**kin' travesty as The Master, playing him like some kind of demonic zombie-lizard. The pacing is all over the place, rapidly intercutting goofy comedy, violent Horror and general banality. The 90s CGI is of course a total eyesore (Fortunately there isn't too much of it after the first act). I'm still irritated two-decades on by having the 8th Doctor narrate the opening over footage of the 7th. Not enough is done to make us like, sympathise or understand the Lee character. Grace is a bit naff but with just enough spark to not be a complete failure. Plus of course the screwing around with Series continuity and/or basic logic still grate. I actually find The Doctor having psychic powers more offensive, than the half-human thing. The later was only a mis-judged creative bit of license but the former is a total misunderstanding of the character and common sense itself.

I was considering the fanedit potential all the way through. I'm struggling to see how a total fix would be possible but it could certainly be improved. Many of the problems would go away if you could introduce The Master much later in the narrative (When The Doctor regains his memory) and just focus on The Doctor but I'm not seeing how that would be possible.
You're well aware how many times I've struggled with an edit of this, I also tinkered with the idea that The Master comes in much later, but it's difficult where to place him. One idea I recently had would be to not have him show up until Grace calls for the Ambulance.
Zarius Wrote:You're well aware how many times I've struggled with an edit of this, I also tinkered with the idea that The Master comes in much later, but it's difficult where to place him. One idea I recently had would be to not have him show up until Grace calls for the Ambulance.

I was more thinking along the lines of how amazing it would be if you could introduce the Master without the whole "He was some goo in a box on the Tardis, but now he's a ambulance driver" convoluted and confusing setup. He just turns up as Eric Roberts as the new actor in the role and and is all "Hey b*tches, I'm The Master and I'm back" with no explanation :-P.

Because if The Master could be removed from the start, it just might be possible to get to McGann waking up in the morgue quick enough, that you could credibly go to the opening credits. Either when he sits up, or remove that and go to the credits when he kicks down the door and the mortician feints. Then they could be remade with full 8th Doctor facetime FX.
Really interesting catch about the McGann music influencing "I Am the Doctor." I own the soundtrack, but never noticed it before. Pretty cool!

I don't know whether he is still working on it, but I know that Hymie was planning an edit of the TV movie at one point. I seem to recall he had a clever plan to reintroduce Anthony Ainley as The Master before he turns into Roberts (IIRC, he's the one who would get executed by the Daleks rather than a shadowy stand-in). I always quite liked the idea, since it would provide a proper link to the classic series for The Master as well as for The Doctor, but I can see merit in your idea too. Hymie, if you're reading this, what do you think?
TM2YC Wrote:I was more thinking along the lines of how amazing it would be if you could introduce the Master without the whole "He was some goo in a box on the Tardis, but now he's a ambulance driver" convoluted and confusing setup. He just turns up as Eric Roberts as the new actor in the role and and is all "Hey b*tches, I'm The Master and I'm back" with no explanation :-P.

Perhaps opening it up with him waking up to his wife and then strangling her then?
Zarius Wrote:Didn't Benny divorce Jason in Eternity Weeps? I definitely know Big Finish

killed him off
some years back

I'll take your word for it. The TARDIS Wiki just lists him as a spouse, period.