Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
bionicbob Wrote:did I hear her correctly, did she say FOUR wives???? I love the acknowledgement of the Doctor having children and grandchildren. I would love to see this aspect explored more.

Hm, four...well, presumably there's Susan's grandmother. Then there's River. Then there's Queen Elizabeth I. The fourth would be...Marilyn Monroe, maybe (see the Christmas special from a couple of years ago)?

ETA: OK, that's funny...matrix's post didn't show up in my feed of the thread until after I posted my reply, even though it says it was written six minutes before mine...
I had to edit mine. I forgot about Marilyn, and incorrectly counted the Aztec lady. She was just a fiancee.
I've been watching through all the Pertwee serials (Many for the first time) "sort of" in order but I was saving the last Jo Grant adventure 'til last ('The Green Death'). Damn it's some beautiful bitter-sweet sadness at the end where the Doctor drives off alone into the night, after saying goodbye to Jo. I'm really sad to have to no more of their adventures left to watch. It was groovy that it basically predicted 'Quorn' ;-). Mmmm Quorn Tandoori, that's some tasty fungus.

Funny Mark Gatiss spoof documentary from The Green Death extra features...

Hmm not sure which Doctor to go for next. Maybe Troughton.
I'd definitely say Troughton is worth it. It's unfortunate that so many of his episodes are currently completely or partially missing, but he really was terrific. I've recently watched Seeds of Death, The Mind Robber, and The War Games, all for the first time. Seeds of Death is a "base under siege" story, but it's very well done; The Mind Robber is one of the oddest stories I've ever seen -- almost more of a filmed stage play than a "standard" story -- but it had a lot of interesting ideas; and The War Games is a classic that led to the Pertwee era and featured a character who resembled The Master in many ways. Enemy of the World is great too -- an underappreciated story that's become a hidden gem. Troughton's rapport with his companions, especially Frazer Hines as Jamie, is fantastic.

On another note, inspired by the season finale, I've just finished watching the McCoy story Battlefield for the first time. It marks the last official time the Brig was on screen (apart from a very, very brief appearance where he meets Colin Baker's Doctor in a pretty ill-considered Eastenders crossover for the 40th anniversary). I can't say that the story is one of the greatest, and it looks like they spent about five dollars total on all four episodes (with four of those going to the makeup effects for The Destroyer, which were surprisingly good), but it's still wonderful to see the Brig. It also features one of the best lines I've ever heard in a Doctor Who script: "Don't worry, Brigadier; people'll start shooting at you soon." :lol:
I've now watched this three times and it's finally grown on me. Dark, haunting...and yeah, well timed with the remembrance weekend antics. They even got me to care about Danny

...Though where did Clara get the jacket from after Danny took her to the graveyard?
hebrides Wrote:Battlefield ... marks the last official time the Brig was on screen (apart from a very, very brief appearance where he meets Colin Baker's Doctor in a pretty ill-considered Eastenders crossover for the 40th anniversary)

You're forgetting his appearance on The Sarah Jane Adventures in 2008 - again, not the greatest episode, but it's the Brig! He also appeared in some Big Finish audio dramas - The Spectre of Lanyon Moor (Sixth Doctor), Minuet in Hell and Zagreus (Eighth Doctor), and three UNIT stories that the Doctor doesn't appear in. You know, if you count Big Finish stuff as canon.
ErikPancakes Wrote:You're forgetting his appearance on The Sarah Jane Adventures in 2008 - again, not the greatest episode, but it's the Brig! He also appeared in some Big Finish audio dramas - The Spectre of Lanyon Moor (Sixth Doctor), Minuet in Hell and Zagreus (Eighth Doctor), and three UNIT stories that the Doctor doesn't appear in. You know, if you count Big Finish stuff as canon.

I didn't know about the Sarah Jane Adventures episode -- thanks! I do have Minuet in Hell and Zagreus, but wasn't aware of Spectre of Lanyon Moor...and I do tend to count BF as canon, since they're the only way to get more Eighth Doctor (which Moffat made canon in Night of the Doctor by having him reference his BF companions, which I'm sure you already knew based on your avatar) Smile
So here is something I did not know existed.... a K-9 television series produced in Australia

From wiki:
Quote:[FONT=sans-serif]As this is not a BBC production, direct references to [/FONT]Doctor Who are not legally allowed for rights reasons. However, Baker and Tams have confirmed that this K-9 is the original K-9 Mark I, who appeared in [I]Doctor Who from [I]The Invisible Enemy(1977) to [I]The Invasion of Time (1978).[SUP][16][/SUP] This model was last seen in the possession of Leela on Gallifrey;[SUP][24][/SUP] in the first episode, the robot dog is damaged and undergoes a "regeneration" into a new, more advanced form capable of flight. He then explains that most of his memory was damaged, so he cannot remember the Doctor.[SUP][16][/SUP] In "The Curse of Anubis", Starkey and Jorjie steal the Anubians' book, which contains drawing of creatures the Anubians have enslaved, including a Sea Devil (as seen in [I]The Sea Devils and [I]Warriors of the Deep), a Mandrel (as seen in [I]Nightmare of Eden) and an Alpha Centauran (as seen in [I]The Curse of Peladon and [I]The Monster of Peladon). While K-9 and the Professor perform diagnostic tests on K-9's damaged memory drive in episode 1, "Regeneration", K-9 plays a three-note cue from the [I]Doctor Who theme, but cannot identify the music. Much like the TARDIS exterior's appearance as a 1963 police box, the Professor's laboratory and home is in a disused police station, still bearing its police lamp next to the front door. In the episode "The Cambridge Spy", Starkey and K-9 follow Jorjie into the past to when the lab was still a police station — specifically to the evening of 23 November 1963,[SUP][25][/SUP] the evening when [I]Doctor Who premiered with "An Unearthly Child". The same evening had been visited by the Seventh Doctor and Ace in [I]Remembrance of the Daleks. The principal adult character, Professor Gryffen holds comparable academic rank to the Doctor and is likewise nearly always addressed by his honorific, "Professor". In the pilot episode, K-9 Mark I gave his own life by self-destructing in order to kill the hostile aliens and save humans in London, just as K-9 Mark III did in "School Reunion".[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I]

Has anyone watched this show? I see Shout Factory sells the complete series.
I have been meaning to buy this for ages. It aired on Disney XD over in the UK
hebrides Wrote:I'd definitely say Troughton is worth it... I've recently watched Seeds of Death, The Mind Robber, and The War Games, all for the first time. Enemy of the World is great too...

By coincidence I've seen all those Troughton stories already and not many others. Seeds of Death was a highlight for sure. I think I'll watch all the Troughton ones I've missed next. The only Doctors I've seen all episodes for so far are Pertwee, McCoy, Eccleston and Tennant... oh and McGann obviously.

I got bored with Smith at some point, so have missed an 'unknown' number of episodes of his Doctor. I'm not intending on catching up with them anytime soon. Unlike the classic-era, it's so hard to dip into without being fully up-to-speed with all the convuoluted series-wide subplots the new show has. So to watch those missing episodes I'd have to rewatch all the episodes leading up to them and I'd only get bored with it again, so it's catch-22 ;-).

hebrides Wrote:I've just finished watching the McCoy story Battlefield for the first time.

My second favourite McCoy story ('Silver Nemesis' third).