Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Interesting. According to the podcast http://www.radiofreeskaro.com/ , a scene removed from Robots of Sherwood really casts things in a different light.

The Sheriff of Nottingham was originally decapitated, revealing circuitry, and his head was subsequently reattached. He is therefore revealed to at least be a cyborg, possibly one of the robots. This casts considerable doubt as to whether Robin was also real or if the Doctor was in fact wrong. If that is the case, one can interpret the Robot Robin to have chosen to live the lie, to inspire history. Reminds me a lot of the Khaless clone from TNG. That bit of intentional ambiguity would have elevated the episode in my eyes.

If the excised material is restored on the Blu-Ray, I'll give it another chance
Here's the full scene that was edited out by the BBC due to the ISIS beheadings:

(From the leaked workprint - sorry if this is against the rules, I'll remove it if it is)
matrixgrindhouse Wrote:Where's the warmth, the magic? He comes across as tired, spiteful, bitter

And that's pretty much why I'm enjoying the hell out of Series Eight at the moment. The rosey warmth dayglow and sunshine Disney bollocks Doctor had long become far too stale and played out, it needed to take a sabbatical an age ago. The only time it worked with Smith was in series five (and I'm not saying the last two series outright sucked either, I'm one of the handful that enjoyed them)

The last three episodes have been blooming excellent, not the most original stories out there but very atmospheric, well acted and leaves you with a general sense of investment, it gets you to ask all the right kind of questions about how far off the moral compass is and what death and sacrifice really means.

This episode was charming and I think losing the beheading scene really did'nt hurt the story, and elevated the ambigious nature of it all. My headcanon totally accepts that Twelve gave Robin the middle finger also, rofl:-)
Zarius Wrote:
matrixgrindhouse Wrote:Where's the warmth, the magic? He comes across as tired, spiteful, bitter

And that's pretty much why I'm enjoying the hell out of Series Eight at the moment. The rosey warmth dayglow and sunshine Disney bollocks Doctor had long become far too stale and played out, it needed to take a sabbatical an age ago..

[Image: 2593956-1233928590_citizen+kane+clapping.gif]
Not much for me to say. Again, I thought this one was brilliant. So far season 8 has been a huge improvement over the 3-year-long muddled mess that was season 7. I feel like Doctor Who is back on track. I'd say the 2nd and 3rd episodes were slightly better overall than Capaldi's 1st (just-regenerated stories take a lot of time out of the episode to deal with the circumstances of the regen and the new doctor so they don't feel as "tight") but I still enjoyed the 1st.
To clarify, I wasn't talking about the pseudo-fairytale approach they used for a lot of Moffat's run. I enjoyed that for the most part, but that isn't what I miss. I miss the warmth and magic of the character of the Doctor. Capaldi's Doctor doesn't have that sense of wonder about him; of being a strange, mysterious wanderer with a love for life. The kind of person who enjoyed his journey, who had a passion for doing what's right. Thus far, I haven't seen much of that in him. There's a lot less heroism, and a lot more petty jealousy, abrasiveness, and even a hint or two of cowardice. And even then, that sort of thing can be done in a way that's true to the character. I love Hartnell's Doctor for those reasons. I don't know. Something just isn't clicking with me yet. I'm still hopeful things will turn around for me as the season progresses. I want to love the show like I did before, but I'm just not feeling it.
Quote:To clarify, I wasn't talking about the pseudo-fairytale approach they used for a lot of Moffat's run. I enjoyed that for the most part, but that isn't what I miss. I miss the warmth and magic of the character of the Doctor. Capaldi's Doctor doesn't have that sense of wonder about him; of being a strange, mysterious wanderer with a love for life. The kind of person who enjoyed his journey, who had a passion for doing what's right. Thus far, I haven't seen much of that in him.

I don't think the intent of this Doctor is to give you that. After his experiances on Trenzalore, and with his responsiblity to secure Gallifrey looming (that cameo in Day of the Doctor is yet to happen I bet). it makes all the sense in the world that the man who regrets and forgets is a little weary of the wars he's been involved in and will continue to submit himself to. It would be an affront if he just put a big smile on his face and acted like nothing happened. I love Eleven but him reveling in his own legend with a goofy grin almost always had me rooting for The Silence in series six.

The lively spirited journeyman with a passion for life? I grew up with it too, but it's played out. There will come a time where it will return, as all old-school elements ultimately do, but it's time to experiment again, time to see if what they were aiming for with Colin Baker actually works this time, it will upset people who crave 'stability' and not want things to change, but the show has to do different things, it's always been a show all about change.

I hope you find something to get excited about, if not, fair enough.
bionicbob Wrote:[Image: Hq4jpw.jpg]
What have...

...Neville Chamberlain, Simon Le bon, Robert De Niro,
Chico Marx, Ronald MacDonald, Betty Boothroyd,
Mike Score, Mary Berry, Mike Myers,
Willy Wonka, Norman Bates and Bruce Campbell...

...got to do with Doctor who?
bionicbob Wrote:[Image: Hq4jpw.jpg]

And not a single one of them is wearing trousers.