Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
steelio2006 Wrote:And I'd have to agree with Bob bout that fan theory that's been thrown around. It makes an awfully lot of sense.

... be much cooler to have her be The Master.

The Master refers to the Doctor as his "boyfriend"?
Sorry, not buying it. Smile
Other theories of the identity of the mysterious MISSY are....

She could be the Rani or River Song

TomH1138 Wrote:

The Master refers to the Doctor as his "boyfriend"?
Sorry, not buying it. Smile

or....

I thought about that comment and the Doctor and the Master always had an unusual Love/Hate-Brother/Friend relationship and I could see with a gender switch regeneration, the Master's perspective/interpretation of their relationship could be a bit twisted... lol.

Plus, the same way Moffat took the meta approach of dealing with young fan's discomfort with of having an OLDER Doctor, I could see him tackling the demand by some fans of making the Doctor a female or non-white.

Then there is the whole MISSY = MISTRESS = MASTER thing.

But it might be all be misdirection of Moffat's part. I am a sucker for a good magic trick.. ha ha ha.
But I just think making the Master a woman who add a refreshing dynamic.

But I guess we won't know for sure til the season two part finale...
I was just re-watching Captain America: First Avenger and noticed Jenna (Clara) Coleman is one of the girls Bucky and Steve take to the Future Fair.

Also I think I saw a Ant-Man costume on display at the front of the park.
Linten1 Wrote:Also I think I saw a Ant-Man costume on display at the front of the park.

Ant-man? I don't remember that. Do you maybe mean THE ORIGINAL HUMAN TORCH? As he is clearly on display.

Only a few hours to the next episode which should give us a clearer understanding of Capaldi's (and Moffat's) interpretation of the Doctor's newest incarnation.

Re Missy's identity...

Missy had better not be The Master :x. Having The Master protrayed without a beard was jarring enough, without him being a woman! Why in the nine hells would you cast a woman, in the role of a man? A silly gimmick? Then why not bring back the Rani, but this time as a man! [Image: Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_37.gif] Bring back K-9 as a cat while your at it [Image: Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_31.gif].

If Missy is the Rani then awesome. The Rani was a great character, seriously in need of bringing back :-).

... or maybe Missy is Bill & Ted's step-mum?
bionicbob Wrote:Ant-man? I don't remember that. Do you maybe mean THE ORIGINAL HUMAN TORCH? As he is clearly on display.
Oh, that explains why there was no helmet.
TM2YC Wrote:Re Missy's identity...

Missy had better not be The Master :x. Having The Master protrayed without a beard was jarring enough, without him being a woman! Why in the nine hells would you cast a woman, in the role of a man? A silly gimmick? Then why not bring back the Rani, but this time as a man! :oops: Bring back K-9 as a cat while your at it :p.

If Missy is the Rani then awesome. The Rani was a great character, seriously in need of bringing back :-).

... or maybe Missy is Bill & Ted's step-mum?
BBC does not own the rights to Rani. Now in saying that the Pip and Jane Baker have said they would be interested in selling the rights to the BBC to continue the character.
I'm not impressed.

This episode was something of a remake/rehash of Series 1's Dalek, but... worse. They didn't fully capture the concept of the possibility of a Good Dalek (The Evil of the Daleks, etc.)... nor did they do a good job with the Fantastic Voyage homage. Segments felt rehashed from Series 6's Tesselecta. This director did a really poor job, especially with the action beats. And I'm less enthusiastic about the Twelfth Doctor than ever. Capaldi's line readings don't seem right to me. The words are correct, but the intensity's all wrong. But the writing in particular isn't doing it for me. Sending Clara into the cortex, allowing the soldiers to sacrifice themselves without any hesitation or reservation... it just doesn't feel like something any previous incarnation of the character would have done. There's no warmth, no child-like joy. Even Hartnell's curmudgeony self had those elements. There's a lot of half-decent ideas in this episode, but none of the pieces were assembled properly.

3/10
Not going to give up on Capaldi by any means, and I do feel that some of his Doctor's decisions in this episode do have a certain amount of precedent in Tom Baker's occasional callousness-with-a-purpose and the later McCoy's machinations (what I've seen of them, anyway -- still not very versed in his Doctor yet). I also think the fact that 11 spent the last 900 years of his life fighting pretty much every day (thus, in a sense, becoming War Doctor v.2 after all the effort he spent to make War Doctor v.1 just The Doctor again) may have affected how 12 sees the universe, even if he doesn't necessarily like it to.

Still, otherwise, Mrs. Heb and I essentially agree with you, matrix. I'd heard from some people who downloaded the leaked episodes early that they didn't care for this episode, so my expectations were lower going in, but I still feel that the episode didn't hold together. Perhaps the fact that it was co-written by Moffat is revealing -- he may have stepped in to try to make the most out of a weaker episode, or Phil Ford may not have known how to develop what Moffat sketched out. Either way, not so strong.

Also, I note for the second episode in a row that the effects seem to have taken a step backwards towards the Tennant or even Eccleston eras. I can only hope that it's the director (same for both eps so far) or that some of the effects budget is being turned towards recovery/restoration of the much-rumored missing episodes...

I have heard that the next episode is much better, and it looks from the preview like it might be; I hope this is a bump in the road...
The miniaturization machine CGI was particularly silly looking. Note that we also didn't see them return to normal size, it just happened between scenes. My gut says a reduced budget.

Now for some crackpot theories from yours truly!

Why didn't the Dalek recognize The Doctor? Even if it was unaware of this particular regeneration, he did eventually reveal himself. It seems surprisingly unphased. Was this episode set prior to Time of the Doctor, when the Daleks had their memories of him erased due to Oswin Oswald's intervention? Or... or is there something more at play here?

Are we sure Missy is evil? What has she done so far? If she is indeed responsible for giving Clara the Doctor's phone number, that's certainly an act of good. If she placed the newspaper ad, was it really a trap? Or was she trying to lead the Doctor to the lair of the robots, expediting his investigation. And while she's welcomed the company of the half-faced leader thereof, she also seems to be treating the well-intentioned soldier. What do those two have in common? The Doctor is responsible for their deaths. Or, rather, he refused to save them. Perhaps she is, somehow, scooping them out of time, leaving behind duplicates (think Tesselecta)... righting this Doctor's wrongs?

Why did the Dalek only see hatred in The Doctor? Yes, he despises the Daleks. We've been over that. But there's supposed to be so much more. His love of humanity, of all the good in the universe, and above all else, the respect he has for his friends. Both Twelve and Clara seem uncertain that he's a good person. That raises red flags. Even the War Doctor ultimately proved to be the hero we all know and love in the end. This one feels like a shell. He's part of The Doctor, but he's not all there.

I'm doubling down on my earlier insane hypothesis. Capaldi is the Valeyard... and Missy is The real Doctor.