Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To be fair, a friend pointed out a plot flaw that I didn't pick up on before: If the workers were all mindless slaves of the Great Intelligence, why would it have allowed them to keep personal Facebook pages that would incriminate them?

I admit that's an excellent question, and I don't know the answer. Still overall very entertaining, though.

LS, the "Doctor who?" thing isn't just a joke. This whole season is about what happens when someone finds out the Doctor's real name ("the first question, the question that must never be answered"). Moffat is foreshadowing this event.

And YES! So excited about the return of Tennant and Piper! I bet Moffat's going to give us a great story. And the villain for that special has just been announced, a classic villain that had yet to return in the new series:

the Zygons!
I really enjoyed them in the Big Finish story with Lucie Miller, and I'm glad they once again stayed faithful to the original design.
So it was announced today that Christopher Eccleston was offered a role in the upcoming 50th but turned it down.

Hhhmmmm..... if there is a role for another incarnation of the Doctor, maybe Moffatt should approach McGann?
I think Who fans would love to see that!
bionicbob Wrote:So it was announced today that Christopher Eccleston was offered a role in the upcoming 50th but turned it down.

Hhhmmmm..... if there is a role for another incarnation of the Doctor, maybe Moffatt should approach McGann?
I think Who fans would love to see that!

I don't understand Eccelston. It almost feels like he begrudgingly took on the role and wanted to get out as fast as possible to not get 'typecast'...yet he's not exactly done great for himself since. Yep, he didn't get typecast and to be honest, for me he's barely remembered and totally overshadowed by Tennant and Smith.
Yeah, I like Eccleston's performance a lot, but I don't quite understand his behind-the-scenes hostility towards the role. Still, I can't say I'm terribly surprised that he turned the producers down.

I would love to see McGann or indeed any pre-2004 actor in the special, but that doesn't seem to be Moffat's M.O. He enjoys references to the past, but ("Time Crash" excepted) past actors not so much.

Speaking of references, I re-watched "Bells" yesterday and caught a reference that I totally missed before. When Clara is arguing with the Doctor about whether she should let him in the front door by talking to him on the viewscreen, there's a multicolored scarf hanging behind her in the background! Very Tom Baker-ish!
Yesterdays episode(Rings of Akhaten) was a bit of something or nothing really. On the one hand - not an awful lot really happens. On the other hand, this seemed to be more about the enigma of Clara if you're reading between the lines. I really liked her character in this. She's got this sort of wild/eccentric/adventurous look behind those eyes that remind me of the Doctor.

Bizarrely enough, two direct Blade Runner quotes came into the episode:
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."
"Home again, home again, jiggidy jigg."
Not to mention a close-up of an eye with a firey reflection in it :-P
white43 Wrote:Yesterdays episode(Rings of Akhaten) was a bit of something or nothing really. On the one hand - not an awful lot really happens. On the other hand, this seemed to be more about the enigma of Clara if you're reading between the lines. I really liked her character in this. She's got this sort of wild/eccentric/adventurous look behind those eyes that remind me of the Doctor.

Bizarrely enough, two direct Blade Runner quotes came into the episode:
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe."
"Home again, home again, jiggidy jigg."
Not to mention a close-up of an eye with a firey reflection in it :-P

The episode as a whole seemed to go out of its way to reference other things, from Blade Runner to Indiana Jones to Guillermo del Toro. I'm not quite sure why. I do think we learn a bit about Clara, and I agree she comes across very well, but the episode overall felt like it barely held together, some great performances notwithstanding. I hope it fits together better with the other episodes when we have the other pieces of the puzzle.

One interesting touch I hadn't really noticed until I saw someone reference it obliquely online: the reading glasses The Doctor has taken to wearing lately? They're Amy's...
I really enjoyed this one. It was not deep or complicated, but it had a very lovely lyrical fairy tale quality to it. It was very sweet and heart(s) warming.

Yes, you are right, the Doctor is now wearing Amy's glasses.

I liked the direct reference to the Doctor's granddaughter.

Clara's sense that the TARDIS does not like her was very intriguing.

And why does the TARDIS only translate certain alien species languages into English and not others? :lol:
The episode was so-so.

The best part was seeing all the new aliens at the beginning. The past few years, the show has had budget issues, so if there was a need for extra aliens, the production team would plug in an Ood or something else where the costume already existed. But this time, the streets are absolutely teeming with aliens that we've never seen before! It was imaginative and wonderful to see.

The plot itself was another typical anti-religion rabble. Ho-hum.

I assumed that Clara couldn't get into the TARDIS because she doesn't have the Key, and she simply didn't realize that she needed one. But if her hunch turns out to be right--that the TARDIS doesn't like her--that could be fascinating. Perhaps it's because her existence is such a paradox, sort of like how the Doctor couldn't allow two Amys from different timelines in the TARDIS at once (in "The Girl Who Waited"). Since there's an upcoming episode set in the TARDIS, it'll be very interesting to see how the story develops!
I liked the episode, but far more for the aesthetic and mood than any thing else. In my opinion, all Who episodes should be an hour, as this episode could have really used the extra 15 minutes to flesh things out and not rush the actual dilemma in the story.