Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06-15-2020, 09:58 AM)TM2YC Wrote: [ -> ]^ Interesting!

'Power of the Daleks' is getting re-released with the animation redone, improved, or something. It'll be in B&W only, it's too much to hope they'll release it in 4:3 this time too.

No hope for a US release, I'm guessing.
(06-26-2020, 06:04 AM)Handman Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-15-2020, 09:58 AM)TM2YC Wrote: [ -> ]^ Interesting!

'Power of the Daleks' is getting re-released with the animation redone, improved, or something. It'll be in B&W only, it's too much to hope they'll release it in 4:3 this time too.

No hope for a US release, I'm guessing.

I'm almost sure all these DW blu-rays are region free/region ABC as standard.
They are still 50Hz a lot of the time, which displays here don't support usually.
My Paul McGann Blu-ray arrived from England. I popped it in to make sure it would play on my US system. No worries there, it plays.

But it looks hideous! The official upscale is terrible, nowhere near the David Tennant episodes' visual quality. This whole re-upscaling idea I've been thinking about for the first Doctor might have to be applied to the eighth.

Good thing is that I also have this movie on DVD, I don't know how the image already being upscaled would affect the AI algorithm(s), so I can compare SD and pseudo-HD sources and see which actually produces better results.
^ That's very disappointing. The movie was shot on full-frame 35mm (the only DW thing at that res?), it would look stunning if re-scanned. The FX would be a bit of problem though like most 90s Sci-Fi.

Some of the 16mm footage on the most recent Tom Baker "The Collection" hasn't been re-scanned. I'll partly give them a pass on that one because the current crisis has probably effected their restoration plans. I was surprised the set came out at all really.
(07-09-2020, 12:04 PM)TM2YC Wrote: [ -> ]^ That's very disappointing. The movie was shot on full-frame 35mm (the only DW thing at that res?), it would look stunning if re-scanned. The FX would be a bit of problem though like most 90s Sci-Fi.

Yeah, the cinematography is great, composition, lighting, all that. I could live with bad FX if the scan was decent.

I'm gonna have to watch it through sometime and see if it gets any better looking.
Quote:Some of the 16mm footage on the most recent Tom Baker "The Collection" hasn't been re-scanned.

There is a very real possibility the original 16mm materials no longer exist.
(07-10-2020, 12:22 PM)Handman Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Some of the 16mm footage on the most recent Tom Baker "The Collection" hasn't been re-scanned.

There is a very real possibility the original 16mm materials no longer exist.

(FYI: It's 'The Face of Evil' I was referencing)

That is a distinct possibility but since they didn't bother to present the deleted footage that they'd definitely re-scanned from film elements for the original SD DVD release, in new HD, I'm suspicious that corners were cut.
YESSS