Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-11-2020, 04:53 PM)TM2YC Wrote: [ -> ]Next weeks episode set at the famous Shelley Gothic-Horror weekend has the potential be tons of fun, if they lean into the Hammer-Horror atmosphere.

It better be good if they're explicitly decanonizing one of my favorite McGann audios. (Mary's Story)
(02-11-2020, 05:28 PM)addiesin Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2020, 04:53 PM)TM2YC Wrote: [ -> ]Next weeks episode set at the famous Shelley Gothic-Horror weekend has the potential be tons of fun, if they lean into the Hammer-Horror atmosphere.

It better be good if they're explicitly decanonizing one of my favorite McGann audios. (Mary's Story)

Blame the faction Paradox (or the Time War).
Filming of series 13 will commence in September

https://twitter.com/ATBPublishing/status...Fpage%3D27
If anyone is wondering how the two versions of the doctor's trips with Mary Shelly can co-exsist.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-...canon/amp/
I'm a little late going through this new season but luckily the BBC America app still has all the episodes streamable. I just got through Orphan 55. I have to agree with all who have said before me, that was... not great. Glad to see the opinion of the following episodes is higher, I have something better to look forward to.
It really is a shame that Orphan 55 was the third episode as it likely turned away many for future episodes that have missed out on some great stories.  For me, this is the best and most consistent season since 5.  Hopefully we'll have a good finale, but those spoilers do have me worried it'll be a mess.  Hopefully I'm greatly mistaken.
I own the Doctor Who store in America (Who North America) and the current series has done nothing to increase the fanbase; it has only declined.

The last fiscally hot year for Doctor Who, as a retailer, was the 50th anniversary year (2013). Once Matt Smith exited in 2014, the series took a HUGE fanbase hit, which has only declined with the current Doctor.

This is NOT a review of any episodes, but merely an observation based on our own level of business. We have been in the Doctor Who business since 1998. Right now, things are very bad for us.
Absolutely.  I remember that anniversary year, Doctor Who was the hot thing everyone was watching.  It was unsustainable, because it was the trendy thing to watch and trends never last.  But it is interesting to note the continual decline.
(02-19-2020, 02:30 PM)keithbk Wrote: [ -> ]I own the Doctor Who store in America (Who North America) and the current series has done nothing to increase the fanbase; it has only declined.

The last fiscally hot year for Doctor Who, as a retailer, was the 50th anniversary year (2013). Once Matt Smith exited in 2014, the series took a HUGE fanbase hit, which has only declined with the current Doctor.

This is NOT a review of any episodes, but merely an observation based on our own level of business. We have been in the Doctor Who business since 1998. Right now, things are very bad for us.

I'm sorry to hear the store is suffering, I have purchased a few items over the years from the store and have had no complaints but the lack of newer things has left me with little use to your store, unfortunately.

Do you think it has to do in the general public interest of the show or the fact that Character Options can't sell their toys in the US anymore?  I think people truly underestimate that despite how good Capaldi was in the role, it hurt the brand as no one seemed to know how to market the show anymore with an older lead and a lack of merchandise hurts the general public's interest.  Its amazing to think what a behemoth the show was during the Smith years in the USA, but after the 50th it seemed people moved on, likely to Star Wars or Game of Thrones.
(02-20-2020, 07:27 AM)Handman Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely.  I remember that anniversary year, Doctor Who was the hot thing everyone was watching.  It was unsustainable, because it was the trendy thing to watch and trends never last.  But it is interesting to note the continual decline.

I have bittersweet memories of 2013, it wasn't a very kind year to me, and on top of that the second half of series seven really soured me on the programme for the first time. It was just woefully bad...you know you're in trouble when Gatiss has the best episode that year. The Day of the Doctor was a worthy special, but then it crapped the bed again with Matt's departure in Time of the Doctor.