Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It does warm my heart at least a little to see these disagreements de-escalate and get more civil. There is far too much hate online these days, as Hymie said. Thanks guys.
Quote:Handman, the first and last line of your post is somewhat contradictory as well. People should be able to feel how they feel without being told they're being absurd. 

I disagree. If you're being silly, I'm going to say you're being silly. Feeling ashamed on the behalf of other people's views on a TV show seems strange to me, it has nothing to do with you personally, and you are more than welcome to keep watching.  But really, ashamed?  That's kinda strong.
Quote:Don't forget though, you are viewing these new episodes from a completely different spectrum being older and more aware of what is being done as you are more aware. 

This is also not quite right. I enjoyed the show immensely just a few years ago, and spent much of this year watching some Pertwee era episodes for the very first time. I enjoyed them so much more than the current show. So this doesn't stack up.

The show is different, I mean, they wouldn't have went to all the effort to essentially reboot the show in 2018 if it wasn't going to be very different.  But by delegitimizing the opposing view by saying stuff like "the show was always this way, but you were too young to see it" isn't quite right either.
(02-07-2020, 05:34 PM)Handman Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Handman, the first and last line of your post is somewhat contradictory as well. People should be able to feel how they feel without being told they're being absurd. 

I disagree. If you're being silly, I'm going to say you're being silly. Feeling ashamed on the behalf of other people's views on a TV show seems strange to me, it has nothing to do with you personally, and you are more than welcome to keep watching.  But really, ashamed?  That's kinda strong.
This is how I interpret it. When a group earns a poor reputation and you simultaneously identify with the group and understand the nature of the reputation but reject it for yourself, shame seems to me like the natural description. It may be strong but I think it's relative.

I enjoy Rick and Morty, but I don't tell people that because "Rick and Morty fans" became a thing, and a negative thing at that. It doesn't mean I don't watch or enjoy the show, but I don't want to be grouped with the people who act disrespectfully in the name of the show.
See, I just like what I like and don't really pay attention to groups or what it means to other people.  Like back when Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Supernatural was a thing.  I was never embarrassed to say I was a fan of Doctor Who, but when someone assumed something about me because of it, I'd just laugh it off.
The best thing about the new batch of episodes, is that Big Finish have loads of sales (which is convenient for people who don't have a lot of spare money, like me).
Next month, they are doing a limited re-release of the first S12 blu-ray which went out of print:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Coll...07B82S1CT/

I'm not sure how limited this 2nd run will be? the phrase "while stocks last" is mentioned. I might take some of the £350 I sold the set for a year ago and re-buy it for £40 Big Grin .
From what I can tell, it's only to make it as limited as the other sets.  It's already selling out in some places.
Ooof, I get what they were going for with the Doc/Graham stuff at the end of the episode, but that was handled very shoddily, especially in light of how empathetic other Doctors have been in the past despite their awkwardness. This felt very Capaldi, only his lack of awareness was more endearing and he at least used cue cards.

Also, they wound up running out of ideas for the villains with ten minutes to spare and had to give Yasmin a massive big scene to pad it out
(02-11-2020, 03:18 AM)Zarius Wrote: [ -> ]Ooof, I get what they were going for with the Doc/Graham stuff at the end of the episode, but that was handled very shoddily, especially in light of how empathetic other Doctors have been in the past despite their awkwardness. This felt very Capaldi, only his lack of awareness was more endearing and he at least used cue cards.

Also, they wound up running out of ideas for the villains with ten minutes to spare and had to give Yasmin a massive big scene to pad it out

Well, I think that they're trying to show that The Doctor is isolating herself from the companions and retreating away following the Spyfall revelation.  Directly after Graham asks the question, we cut to Yaz and Ryan talking about distrusting the Doc and their futures, so I think we are setting up the companions leaving.  No doubt the scene itself was bad and far too drawn out, but I get what they were going for.

Honestly, I enjoyed the episode, but the villains were dispatched far too easily.  I get what Chibnall is going for, trying to emulate that early Tennant style at times, but I wish he would just stick with what he wants to do rather than trying to please everyone as that's obviously never going to happen, especially with a show like this whose fan base stretches across all age groups.

At this point, I am definitely enjoying the season as other than the dreadful Orphan 55 every episode has had something to keep me interested and entertained.  Hopefully he can stick the landing, but we know that's a problem with him so color me cautiously optimistic of a good final 3 episodes.
I thought given the Aleppo setting the subject of this week's Doctor Who lecture  Big Grin was going to be the Syrian war but it was about mental health instead. That bit between the Doc and Graham was maybe my favourite bit all series but it did feel like out of place with this version of the character. It's those "oh yeah the Doc really is a weird alien after all" moments that I loved about Capaldi.

Next weeks episode set at the famous Shelley Gothic-Horror weekend has the potential be tons of fun, if they lean into the Hammer-Horror atmosphere.