Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-27-2019, 08:24 PM)Handman Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, it certainly changed.  I just felt tired watching it, and even though everything was new, it didn't feel new, if that makes sense.  The basic framework of each episode felt very... simple.  And not in an entertaining way.  It felt like a ton of aspects were ditched and we went back to basics, but didn't do anything to make it compelling.

Ah, gotcha. Fair enough! For a show that makes as much money for the BBC as DW does, there were some elements and stories that seemed to be struggling from a lack of budget (which ironically makes it more like classic Who, but not in a way that most people would want)!

Quote:That's probably because I'm an individual :-p

Indeed! It's like me thinking that Iron Man 2 is one of the best MCU movies. Everything resonates (or, in this case, doesn't resonate) differently with different people.  Cool
(02-27-2019, 09:03 PM)addiesin Wrote: [ -> ]I've never understood the separation of the Specials from the rest of the episodes. Can anyone who knows explain the reasoning behind that? Is it common in BBC shows? I know Sherlock did one but that was another Moffatt show. (And Davies did half a season of specials once, in addition to the holiday ones, so it's not just a Moffatt thing). I really would like to know.

It seems like specials do big numbers, ratings-wise. There hasn't been a single season finale that's pulled in as high of ratings as a season premiere (even though the finales are usually better) or a special. The highest-rated episode of nuWho is the 2007 Christmas special.

I always thought it would make more sense to vary up the holidays, as the well seemed to run dry for new Christmas stories. For instance, doing a Halloween or a Valentine's Day special would be different. But then, look at the negative fan reaction to no Christmas special this year (even though they got a special a week later, and the show historically only had one Christmas special before 2005). And I think the ratings were down besides for that.
So I got my notice from Amazon that my pre-ordered Tom Baker  season 7 Blu Ray has shipped -- yay!

But I thought it was odd that there still has been no official announcement/pre-order up for the next classic Who blu-ray collection, since they usually overlap the release day with the coming next tease.

Any rumours what will be next?  Pertwee?  McCoy? Another Davison?  Huh
(03-15-2019, 08:10 AM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]So I got my notice from Amazon that my pre-ordered Tom Baker  season 7 Blu Ray has shipped -- yay!

But I thought it was odd that there still has been no official announcement/pre-order up for the next classic Who blu-ray collection, since they usually overlap the release day with the coming next tease.

Any rumours what will be next?  Pertwee?  McCoy? Another Davison?  Huh

Well if it's Pertwee, then it can only be seasons 10 or 11 (since most of the studio recordings for his previous seasons are lost and only exist in low-quality copies. And even then, they would probably have to re-do the colourisation process for the 2 Pertwee episodes that only survived in black-and-white (Planet of the Daleks episode 3 and Invasion of the dinosaurs episode 1), so I doubt it. 

Logically, the best choice (apart from another Baker release) would be season 21 (as apart from Resurrection of the Daleks, all the stories have the original film inserts survive).
I've heard rumours that it would be S26, then S10.
All of Death Comes To Time can be found on Youtube.  If you're curious at what a rare attempt at giving Doctor Who an actual ending looks like, check out all five parts

Tom Baker's season 18 (or 7, stupid North American marketing... Tongue) blu ray has new FX for Logopolis ....

So, the new Macra Terror animation is only out in the UK, yes?  Damn region coding.
(03-27-2019, 04:55 PM)Handman Wrote: [ -> ]So, the new Macra Terror animation is only out in the UK, yes?  Damn region coding.

The other two blu-rays in this series were region free, so I guess this will be too. Just a guess though. Actually, I think all the Doctor Who sets are region-free, at least the more recent ones.
Then it becomes a question of 60Hz/50Hz compatibility (though I'd assume as it's animation they'd just go 24p so they can say 1080p, as 25p isn't allowed under the Blu-Ray spec, in which case it's a non-issue).