Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I finished the season finally (I know it only just ended, but I was 4-ish episodes behind as of Friday).

Very average. Demons of the Punjab, The Witchfinders, and It Takes You Away were the standout episodes, but only maybe Witchfinders was up there with the best of Moffat's or Davies' era. Rosa was decent but the villain kind of ruins it on a rewatch.

In fact, all of the historicals were made lesser with the obligatory sci-fi element forced into them. Would've been nice for at least one of them to have been a pure historical, Marco Polo or Black Orchid style.

Jodie was good, but Thirteen is poorly written. She needed fewer companions in her first season, she was overshadowed and underdeveloped. It also felt like there were huge aspects of the Doctor's characterization that were either always there or have been built over time across various incarnations that were just left out of Thirteen. I think that's mostly down to writing, but there were also opportunities in the scripts for Jodie to run with or lean into and she just didn't unless it was the wide-eyed wonder angle. She never felt ancient or dangerous or impossibly clever and any amount of survivor's guilt that has been there since Nine is non-existent.

I don't know. Like I said, Whittaker didn't do a bad job, she just felt like she was playing a different character who happened to be named the Doctor.

Then again, I felt that about Davison for almost all of his TV run...but he's also unfortunately my least favorite Doctor.

I'm not dropping the show, but Chibnall, Whittaker, and the writing team need to step it up next season. And one of companions needs to be written out (Ryan please).
(12-05-2018, 05:49 PM)Warbler Wrote: [ -> ]I think it would have been nice to have had at least one episode this season with with a traditional villain/monster.

Sadly, this was a mandate by Chibnall. I actually welcomed the idea before the season started, but all the villains we got were fairly weak, not really reusable, or not really villains.
ChainsawAsh Wrote:Jodie was good, but Thirteen is poorly written. She needed fewer companions in her first season, she was overshadowed and underdeveloped. It also felt like there were huge aspects of the Doctor's characterization that were either always there or have been built over time across various incarnations that were just left out of Thirteen.

Agreed.
I thought there was a lack of hilarious and memorable Doctor-ish "I'm an alien so I genuinely don't quite understand the basics of being a human" type quips e.g.

[Image: c767428fd85eada7298303248932116d.png]

[Image: Wo05hEhx2uMZG.gif]
I definitely agree that Witchfinders was the best of the lot from the most recent series.  It's the only one I'd want to rewatch, and that's just for Alan Cumming.  The story itself was fairly basic, like all the others.  (Did I say that already?)

I said it elsewhere, but I'll say it here too.  This series can best be described as "aggressively mediocre".  That is, there are so many elements there that could be great, but as if by some external force, none of it is put together quite right.
The best episodes were the premiere (with Jodie's best stand out performance as the Doctor, she peaked too early), "Rosa" (bits of it anyway), Kerblam (a 7th Doctor DWM comic strip story come to life), Demons of the Punjabb (should have been a pure historical...wonder if it can edited that way?), and Witchfinders (star performance from Alan Cumming) everything else I could have done without.
Graham once again proves he is the best, with his scarf.
[Image: image.php?pid=26780]
(12-14-2018, 10:28 PM)Handman Wrote: [ -> ]Graham once again proves he is the best, with his scarf.

[Image: image.php?pid=26780]

I'm lovin' the Doc's scarf too. I could go for one of those.

This is fun:

It would be interesting to bring back Susan for an episode. The original actress is 78 now, so it would be nice to give her and the role a swan song. You could have The Doctor visiting Susan on her death bed. Susan is surrounded by her large and loving family, leaving the Doc to reflect on the different choices they have made and her lonely travels in the Tardis. The Doc catches her reflection in a mirror and realises they have reversed roles since they parted, Susan is now the grey-haired old person and The Doc is the young woman. The dialogue could call back to this famous speech:

Then when she dies peacefully, she regenerates into a young person and decides to leave her family thinking the person they loved has passed on. Young Susan rejoins the Doc for a few more adventures. Maybe they both finally go back to Gallifrey (somehow).

Idea © TM2YC. Give me a call Chris Chibnall Big Grin .
I haven't watched the finale yet, but I'm otherwise caught up.  I've actually really enjoyed this season.  Then again, I tend not to be quite as critical of TV shows as I do, say, movies.  Not sure why.  O well.
That's a lovely prospect, but Susan is Carol Ann Ford.  I believe it's been suggested she is not a Time Lord, just a Gallifreyan, so she doesn't have the ability to regenerate.  I couldn't see them recast her after 50 years.