Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I reckon Michael Sheen is voicing this in the style of Tom Baker Big Grin :

(12-01-2018, 04:29 PM)TM2YC Wrote: [ -> ]I reckon Michael Sheen is voicing this in the style of Tom Baker Big Grin :

Ok, now I want Michael Sheen for the next Doctor!!!!
Tonight's episode had a nice blend of lore, emotion, and a touch of the bizzare.

I fell into a familiar trap for fans in that I was somewhat expecting Susan to show up at the end when The Doctor stayed behind in the other dimension...and was taken aback by the appearance of Hypnotoad Smile
I felt nothing towards this one...  I wish there was something to keep me going, and the elements are all in place, but it just didn't come together.  Graham continues to show he's the best character of them all at the moment.

Maybe the Doctor was meant to be grandfatherly.  I can't quite place what Jodie's Doctor is supposed to be.
(12-02-2018, 11:52 PM)Handman Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the Doctor was meant to be grandfatherly.  I can't quite place what Jodie's Doctor is supposed to be.

I think I have a theory about this season. 

The cast has a lot of parallels with the first TARDIS crew. But all the roles are shifted one to the left. Graham is the grandfather, Ryan is the challenged grandchild, Yaz is the former authority who is no longer in charge, The Doctor is the teacher. The stories seem to be a little more interested in education that previously. I guess I'd say the focus of Davies was emotion and Moffatt's was imagination. Anyway, it's conceivable that they approached this season as "back to basics" and reinterpreted what modern Doctor Who should be, and looked at the first crew for inspiration in the writing and planning. Not necessarily the performances. I could be way off base. Trying to form perspective while it's still airing is difficult. 

Current opinions overall per episode:

Woman Who Fell to Earth - fine. It was way more interesting before the human shaped bad guy got out of the weird alien thing. The plot quickly became 'stop that guy'. The emotional beats with the grandma worked for me though, the new Doctor worked for me instantly, there were many cool moments, they were just interspersed.

Ghost Monument - also fine. Again it started really cool and let out steam as it went. I really liked the ideas at play and the series is still new.

Rosa - nearly pitch perfect. Best of the season (still) Imo. The villain was a little bland but that did play into the point of the episode so it's not much of a negative.

Arachnids in the UK - pretty boring. I kept waiting to find out they were more than spiders, but no. The business guy was unsubtle, and makes me think the only reason they'd so prominently mention the 2020 election and him running is that they plan to have him win and reference that in a future episode? Idk, it doesn't make much sense.

Tsuranaga Conundrum - pretty good. I was really into the actual plot, the creature didn't really sell the threat very well, but literally everything else was at least passable if not good.

Demons of the Punjab - great! Really love when a companion visits family with the power of time travel, it's always compelling.

Kerblam - good, pretty standard Doctor Who fare honestly.

Witch finders - great. This one used the Doctor as a woman in the story in a way that made sense and added substance. It also had makeup that reminded me of Waters of Mars. Alan Cumming brings down almost anything he's in imo, but here he worked great.
I just watched the witch episode last night. Gonna see if the new new one is on the app tonight and maybe catch up.
I truly find the Wilderness Years fascinating....

I have only watched a few of Bill Baggs productions on Youtube, and found them to be a mixed experience.
(12-03-2018, 07:58 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]I truly find the Wilderness Years fascinating....

I have only watched a few of Bill Baggs productions on Youtube, and found them to be a mixed experience.

I wonder how hard it would be to convincingly fanedit the video productive into slightly more legitimate episodes.
Loved this week's episode, my favourite by far. It's definitely emotional, focusing on the idea of "letting go", mystical, and had a pretty good plot. I'm really loving the cinematography, it looks really good. Bradley Walsh and Jodie Whittaker are stellar as usual. 8.5/10 (a close 9 but then they had to have a cartoonish villain and have the Doctor talk to a *spoiler* at the end).
I think it would have been nice to have had at least one episode this season with with a traditional villain/monster.