Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I enjoyed the episode.

I thought it worked better as a series of good to great moments, rather than a fully satisfying whole.

I agree, the ending/resolution was far too rushed and pat.

But I loved all the character beats. Brian confronting the Doctor about his past companions. The introduction of a new Stewart-Lethbridge and UNIT, was marvelous and very sweet. The growing up of Rory and Amy and acknowledging the passage of time (10 years!!!!) and accepting responsibilities.

The comedy aspect verged a couple of times to be almost too much, but the producers seemed to realized this time when to rein it in.

Though the teasers were a bit misleading. The year the Doctor stayed. Not really true, was it? He zipped away for a few months and then returned.

Were there any flickering lights in this one? Can't remember. Will have to watch again later.

All in all, I a solid piece of entertainment.

Next week....

Re flickering lights: I think I remember a moment with Rory in front of a Christmas tree that might qualify, but I think the more relevant part about flickering may have come in the dialogue between Amy and the Doctor about his "running away," where he reveals that he is actually running to things before they (I may be paraphrasing here) "flicker and fade." And then, of course, he relates that to why he keeps coming back to Amy and Rory, which is very ominous indeed...I suspect Moffat wrote that exchange, or at least had a very large hand in vetting it...

Oh, and agreed about the new (Lethbridge-)Stewart at UNIT, which is doubly cool because it makes canon a character from the previously-unclear-if-canon Reeltime films Downtime and Daemos Rising (both of which I really must get around to watching fully).

And yes, the ending was rushed, in part, I think, because the episode as a whole felt a lot like a Pertwee story told in a Tennant style, but with an Omega-like villain shoehorned into the last ten minutes or so. I hope he or his kind come back; I suspect they will. The episode itself, though, really should have been a two-parter to allow for more threat development as well as character development.

I also have to say, whatever the quality of the stories each week, Matt Smith has been simply extraordinary this season, and this may have been his best work to date. He's always been good at playing a variety of moods, but here he's as funny, erratic, dangerous, brilliant, warm-hearted, and scary as The Doctor has ever been, and he often plays two or more of those things at the same time. He's not just adept at playing The Doctor anymore; he seems to be finding a way to integrate all the previous Doctors into his performance (including the starts-breezy-but-winds-up-terribly-scarred Eighth), and it's remarkable to behold.
bionicbob Wrote:I wonder, with the story supposedly taking place over a year on Earth (at least I think that is what I read???) if the producers will take the moment to have the Doctor acknowledge the passing of Sarah Jane? I think it would be nice touch, and it would add to the drama of Ponds departure.

Also wanted to add: while they didn't directly address this, I think it was a nice touch when the Doctor talked about the companions who had died. He was referring most directly to Adric and the Brig (and sort-of Rose, I guess, though I have to admit my grasp of her story arc is as yet a bit hazy), of course, but I can't help thinking it was also a way of acknowledging Elisabeth Sladen and Mary Tamm.
Quote:[INDENT]I also have to say, whatever the quality of the stories each week, Matt Smith has been simply extraordinary this season, and this may have been his best work to date. He's always been good at playing a variety of moods, but here he's as funny, erratic, dangerous, brilliant, warm-hearted, and scary as The Doctor has ever been, and he often plays two or more of those things at the same time. He's not just adept at playing The Doctor anymore; he seems to be finding a way to integrate all the previous Doctors into his performance (including the starts-breezy-but-winds-up-terribly-scarred Eighth), and it's remarkable to behold.[/INDENT]

I agree whole heartedly. And he is pretty good at playing football too! LOL!

Quote:Also wanted to add: while they didn't directly address this, I think it was a nice touch when the Doctor talked about the companions who had died. He was referring most directly to Adric and the Brig (and sort-of Rose, I guess, though I have to admit my grasp of her story arc is as yet a bit hazy), of course, but I can't help thinking it was also a way of acknowledging Elisabeth Sladen and Mary Tamm.

That was my feeling too while watching the scene.
This was a fantastic episode. It was funny, it was touching, it was exciting.

I loved the stuff with the Doctor trying to adjust to everyday life. Hilarious. In fact, I was a little disappointed that we had to get back to the alien invasion!

I was thrilled with the Doctor having a mystery that he can't crack. If the aliens just outright invaded, he could handle that. But they're just sitting there, doing nothing and not technically being harmful, and the Doctor can't figure out what they're all about.

I loved Rory's dad again, and his obsessive dutifulness over the squares.

Note how, in 50 years, we've never really seen what life was like for a Companion(s) after the Doctor left. Finally, we do. Amy and Rory get to experience normal life for a while, and find that they actually like it!

So many powerfully, emotionally resonant conversations in this one. Rory's dad asking the Doctor what's happened to all the other Companions he's traveled with. The Doctor telling Amy that he's running to the various parts of the universe. The Doctor further saying that he wants to see Amy and Rory before they "fade from him."

This episode was, at its heart, everything that the series as a whole is about.

And what wonderful callbacks to the classic series! UNIT is finally back, and the Brigadier's daughter is in charge! References to K9 and to the Zygons!

And then that wonderful, heartwarming scene at the end, where Rory's dad points out to the Doctor, "It's you they can't leave behind," and the group goes off for more adventures.

I've read a lot of people on the Internet calling this episode "boring" or "underwhelming" (not just in this forum; I'm speaking in general terms). Honestly, if you don't like this episode, then I have to think you just don't like Doctor Who, period. It's like someone claiming they like Star Wars but then saying that they hated The Empire Strikes Back.

You're more than entitled not to like it, of course. But then why keep watching? There was something for everyone in this episode, and if you weren't satisfied now, I can't imagine you ever will be. It doesn't affect me, but I think you'll be much happier without it.

Anyway. Moffat has his work cut out to top this episode next week!
I've been a huge fan Nu Who for a few years, embracing McGann, Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith, but I think the episodes thus far this season have all felt like they were missing something for time. They're trying to show so much that it's leaving out important things that would be really fun for the audience to see. I know it could be seen as a stylistic choice, and a few of my favorite episodes suffer from this, but I keep having the feeling that they're really rushing it with the season arc for the sake of the episode's plot at hand, because every one of them could have been another ten to twenty minutes long, easily, without missing a beat.
I enjoyed this week's episode, though I have to say, it's like the script-editor took a big hassan chop to the story, as many things went unexplained and potentially strong ideas werent touched upon
Zarius Wrote:I enjoyed this week's episode, though I have to say, it's like the script-editor took a big hassan chop to the story, as many things went unexplained and potentially strong ideas werent touched upon

Makes me wonder if the dvd release will have any deleted scenes????
Oops
TomH1138 Wrote:I've read a lot of people on the Internet calling this episode "boring" or "underwhelming" (not just in this forum; I'm speaking in general terms). Honestly, if you don't like this episode, then I have to think you just don't like Doctor Who, period. It's like someone claiming they like Star Wars but then saying that they hated The Empire Strikes Back.
I love Empire Strikes Back!:-( , I wouldnt call this episode the Empire Strikes Back of Doctor Who episodes not by a long shot.
Sorry double post with extras. Somehow.