Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They weren't kidding about the new UK blu-ray sets of classic DW being "Limited Edition". The Tom Baker one has already sold out and is going for £250 on Amazon Marketplace and anything between £90 and £240 on eBay-UK. Makes me feel better about the £40 I paid and more relaxed about buying the forthcoming Peter Davison set with resale values like that.
The BBC really screwed that up.  I'm convinced it wasn't going to be such a limited edition set, but the issues with some of the discs and the general incompetency of the BBC has let it go OOP.
(11-24-2018, 12:06 AM)suspiciouscoffee Wrote: [ -> ]Where's the Blu-Ray?  That page seems to only list DVDs.

Oops sorry.  I could have sworn the listing was for Blu rays.
My mistake.
Or maybe the timeline got altered. lol
I've been considering re-editing Twice Upon a Time, but I'm not really sure how to fix it beyond removing the First Doctor's misogyny and replacing Ben's voice with the original actor.  There are good moments in there, but there's so much that's wrong with it I'm not sure how salvageable it really is.
(11-24-2018, 02:41 PM)Handman Wrote: [ -> ]I've been considering re-editing Twice Upon a Time, but I'm not really sure how to fix it beyond removing the First Doctor's misogyny.  There are good moments in there, but there's so much that's wrong with it I'm not sure how salvageable it really is.

I feel that episode suffers from a few things. The biggest problem is it's trying to be too many types of special Doctor Who all at once. Is it a regeneration story, is it a Christmas special, or is it a multi Doctor story? I think taking emphasis away from one of those would make it stronger overall. It can function as two things at once, but not three. So if you get rid of some of the First Doctor, I'd recommend cutting most of him, so he's not much more than a cameo. The performance is great but he mostly doesn't need to be there.
If I were to undertake such an edit, I wouldn't cut anything of Bradley except the forced misogynistic jokes that betray the character.   The performance is great, and in an episode that struggles to be great, cutting him would only take the whole thing down for me.  I agree that he doesn't really need to be there for most of the story as it is now, but perhaps there's a way to make him more integrated into the whole of it.
(11-24-2018, 01:11 AM)Handman Wrote: [ -> ]Those are DVDs.  There is no Blu-ray release to my knowledge, and those DVDs aren't just repackaging the old discs, they don't have any special features at all!

Is there any particular reason you want them on  Blu-ray?  The DVDs are cheaper, and none of his episodes were shot in HD, outside of his final three specials (which can be easily found for cheap in HD).

Because I'm dumb and didn't know (or maybe just forgot) that they weren't shot in HD.  Also, now that I have the Eccleston season on Blu, I want the next series to line up nicely on the shelf because, again, I'm dumb.
Quote:I want the next series to line up nicely on the shelf because, again, I'm dumb.

I completely understand.  I went to the trouble of finding all the region 1 DVDs for Hartnell and Troughton, most of which are now long OOP, simply because I didn't want to mix and match.  I could have saved a lot of money if I went for the R2 discs.  Thankfully I only committed to the first two Doctors there (and managed to find them far cheaper than you'd expect); I ended up selling the other DVDs I had in anticipation of the Blu-ray sets, which should save me the money I spent on the DVDs.  Faulty logic, but it checks out.
Any time Doctor Who sets are brought up, I feel compelled to say that I would love to purchase a complete DVD set of the Classic series, either in one big box or in season sets. The individual stories are just too expensive, and as you said, mostly out of print. (I own all the modern series digitally already.)
I just have a handful of Tom Baker stories (and that new Blu season 12 set), the Hartnell "The Beginning" set, and a couple Troughton stories, one being the animated Power of the Daleks.