Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Doctor Who
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A TOWN CALLED MERCY

Well that was brilliant!!!
That is the type of Doctor story I enjoy and had hoped Dinosaurs would have been more like... A much better constructed and balanced story in my opinion, with just the right amounts of humor, drama, cosmic and pathos!

Did anyone catch how old the Doctor said he was this time??? He said it so fast I am not sure I heard it right?
Did he say "1200 years old"?????

Lots of foreshadowing in terms of character.
I like the comment about Amy being a Mom. Makes me wonder though, perhaps this is a future Amy and she had another child????

Great spaghetti western homage music and I loved all the classic old western camera angles used.

All in all, this may be one of my favorite Smith adventures so far.

Two slightly different trailers for next week's episode....

the other with Amy's voice over...
[FONT=Lucida Sans]Since this was (I believe) the first episode filmed this season, we've seen more clips and photos of this than any other episode. So I've really been looking forward to it. Sadly, this is the first episode this year that didn't live up to the hype for me.[/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Sans]Admittedly, part of the problem was simply the marketing rather than the fault of the episode. I saw so many clips in advance that all of the jokes and the most thought-provoking lines were ruined for me before the episode started. [/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Sans]Another part of the problem, though, was the under-use of Ben Browder. He delivered some lines of exposition and then was killed off only halfway through. What a waste of a terrific talent. I would rather have seen him as the doctor or even as the villain.[/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Sans]Also, I didn't entirely agree with the Doctor's (ultimate) choices this time or Amy's sort-of moral high ground. Everything worked out in the end, but what if Kahler-Mas hadn't decided to take matters into his own hands? How many innocent people would the Doctor have been willing to let die to protect the "rights" of one killer? Maybe throwing him to the wolves isn't the right solution, but what exactly was the Doctor's plan if Kahler [/FONT]hadn't[FONT=Lucida Sans] decided to do what he did? (The Doctor was clearly surprised to hear what Kahler was doing.) The notion that the Doctor and his comrades could have just kept confusing the Gunslinger by running around in disguise for the rest of their lives is ludicrous. The episode presented some very complicated ethical questions, but I wasn't satisfied that it really tried to answer them. [/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Sans]The Doctor has been all too willing, in the past, to lend a helping hand to villains (like trying to rescue the Master and Davros after they've committed untold atrocities) while being equally willing to throw more noble, if misguided, people under the bus (such as ruining the life and career of Harriet Jones; his vindictive behavior towards a scared mother who had her entire family kidnapped by Silurians; and - oh, yeah - blowing up his own entire planet over the actions of a few people at the top). So, yes, I have reasons for thinking that the Doctor's distorted sense of pacifism would tell him to let everyone in town get killed just so he could show the Gunslinger that he's "better than" just handing Kahler over.[/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Sans]I realize that, on some level, it's just a silly space show, and I shouldn't be so bothered by it. But I definitely think the logic here is loopy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Sans]I also didn't believe in this town being as progressive as it was, even post-Civil War. Are we supposed to believe that no one in Nevada in the 1800s would have been the least alarmed or frightened of an extraterrestrial living in their town until someone else came looking for him? Even the casting of the person of African descent as the pastor seemed implausible. It wouldn't be until nearly a decade later in this country that an African-American priest leading a congregation of Caucasians would even begin to seem normal, as sad as it is to say.[/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Sans]At any rate, I honestly didn't see the twist coming about Kahler not being such a good guy or the Gunslinger being more sympathetic than he appeared. So largely on the basis of that, and because of the acting and the beautiful scenery, I'll give this episode a 3 out of 5. But it's my least favorite of the new episodes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Sans]Oh, well. Next week is a new episode, so it's time for me to move on.

The Doctor forced to stay in one place - what an interesting twist! Smile

[/FONT]
^ Funny, how we as Who Fans have completely different takes on the same episodes... LOL.

So I reading some interesting observations and theories over on The Den of the Geek...

Along with the repeated themes of no one knowing the Doctor and foreshadowing of the Ponds departure,
did anyone notice the flickering lights in all three episodes so far? In Amy's model change room,
then Rory's Dad changing a flickering light bulb and then when the Doctor and Ponds arrive in Mercy, the street light start to flicker. Is Moffet messing with us, or does it mean something????

Also, the last episode with the Ponds is Angels in New York. I am not sure, but do any of the trailers say what time period the story takes place? As the last time we saw young Melody Pond was in 1960s New York, what if the Ponds are reunited with her and stay to raise her???? Altered timeline? Fixed point? It would be a sweet, sad ending... Just throwing ideas out there.... LOL!
You're not alone with that theory Bob, a lot of fans are coming to the same conclusions about The Ponds.

The lights flickering seem to be symbolic imagery, prepping the audience for the Angels story. Everyone knows the Angels thrive on flickering lights (and indeed, one shot sees the baby Angel blowing out Rory's flickering match)

Could also be symbolic of the companions "flickering" in and out of The Doctor's life...until the time comes to blow the candle out.
Amy needs glasses!

...only a few more hours now til....

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFOW2YLJmyw&list=PL31D7AEABF6309D03&index= 2&feature=plpp_video[/video]
Very excited for the new episode tonight! Can't wait to see whats going to happen. I also noticed the flickering lights, though I didn't think anything of it until you mentioned it bionicbob. I guess we'll just have to wait to find out, though its not going to be too long of a wait.
I wonder, with the story supposedly taking place over a year on Earth (at least I think that is what I read???) if the producers will take the moment to have the Doctor acknowledge the passing of Sarah Jane? I think it would be nice touch, and it would add to the drama of Ponds departure.
How did we all feel about the episode. I'll be honest it left me a little underwhelmed. It had this massive build up and when things kicked off the Doctor seemed to solve the problem in minutes. It felt like he pulled all the answers out of thin air.
I'll have to give it another watch.
Well, after two disappointing opening episodes (particularly the Dinosaur episode which was destroyed by those two highly, um, hilarious robots... not) I was delighted to experience my favourite episode of the entire Matt Smith/Steven Moffat era in "A Town Called Mercy". What was this I found? A skillfully and nicely paced narrative. The Doctor almost taking centre stage. Amy not annoying in the slightest. Beautifully filmed and edited. A genuinely excellent villain (if you can call him that) in The Gunslinger and a finale which packed an emotional punch. What's more, it actually felt like Doctor Who. Brilliant stuff.

And, to my surprise, a lot of that good work was continued in last nights episode, "The Power of Three". Chris Chibnall's writing does threaten to allow the Doctor and his companions to come across as far too silly at times, but every time you think this might happen he reins it in and the danger and excitement in the invasion of the cubes story is kept intact. However, where the story falls down is in the rushed finale to try and tie things up in a way that makes some kind of sense. Ummm, well it doesn't really and yet again that bloody sonic screwdriver comes to the damned rescue again as a device to save the day. It's about time Moffat and co dispatched with the sonic device which has now become nothing but an annoying way to get the writers out of a tight corner. Far too lazy for my liking. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good interplay between the main leads and Murray Gold's "bang you over the head" music very nicely low down in the mix.

Can the good run of two top notch episodes continue in the next episode? Hmmm... The angels are back.. and so is River Song. Does this mean Moffat is writing another episode again? Oh well, I guess it was too good to last.