Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Random movie thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-25-2020, 07:17 PM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: [ -> ]When I was a kid and watching through the Halloween movies, I was obsessed with the idea of Michael Myers being redeemed and turning good. Whichever movie starts with him in a coma being taken care of by an old hermit, I was expecting them to become friends, but then they didn't. I've just been thinking about this again lately.
Now that I'm older and I realize how bad the sequels are (based on memories, I haven't actually watched them since then, except for 6,which is horrible), I think it would've been more interesting to have a plot like that, though I definitely don't think it's an especially good idea.

Michael being an unfathomable boogeyman is what makes him interesting. Humanize him and he'll become boring.
^ Eh, speaking as one who's only seen (a fan edit of) DGG's legacy sequel, the boogeyman isn't particularly interesting for more than a half hour or so, either. IMHO. Tongue
(02-25-2020, 09:11 PM)Duragizer Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2020, 07:17 PM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: [ -> ]When I was a kid and watching through the Halloween movies, I was obsessed with the idea of Michael Myers being redeemed and turning good. Whichever movie starts with him in a coma being taken care of by an old hermit, I was expecting them to become friends, but then they didn't. I've just been thinking about this again lately.
Now that I'm older and I realize how bad the sequels are (based on memories, I haven't actually watched them since then, except for 6,which is horrible), I think it would've been more interesting to have a plot like that, though I definitely don't think it's an especially good idea.

Michael being an unfathomable boogeyman is what makes him interesting. Humanize him and he'll become boring.

Agreed, but if the movies are going to get bad anyways, why not take a new direction? Well, actually, I take it back. Thinking about it more, this is a terrible idea. Child me wouldn't understand.
(02-25-2020, 09:24 PM)Gaith Wrote: [ -> ]^ Eh, speaking as one who's only seen (a fan edit of) DGG's legacy sequel, the boogeyman isn't particularly interesting for more than a half hour or so, either. IMHO. Tongue

Michael's certainly not a villain with a long shelf life. Which is why most of the sequels are worthless.
I made some of those "Chapaguri" Ramyun noodles from 'Parasite' last night. They are as good as they look in the movie Smile .

1 Pack Nongshim Chapagetti (black bean Ramyun) + 1 Pack Nongshim Neoguri (Spicy Seafood Ramyun) + Sirloin Steak (I went with marbled Rib Eye) = Chapaguri

I didn't precut the steak, I cooked it as normal, rested it and sliced it on top of the noodles. I also added sliced spring onions on top. A meal you can make in literally 5-10mins.

I don't have any Korean stores near me but I could get the Chapagetti and Neoguri from Amazon.

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43...0x563.jpeg]
I fancied re-watching the LotR trilogy over the weekend (not seen them in ages) but I'd forgotten quite how terrible the smeary upscaled Theatrical blu-rays are and how offensively awful the re-grading on the EE blu-rays is. I've ordered some old Region-1 dual-layer DVDs of the Theatrical cuts from eBay, to see if they look any better.
^ I thought only the Fellowship EE was aggressively re-graded? And surely the theatrical DVDs can't possibly look better than theatrical blus...?! Smile
(02-28-2020, 10:17 AM)TM2YC Wrote: [ -> ]I made some of those "Chapaguri" Ramyun noodles from 'Parasite' last night. They are as good as they look in the movie Smile .

Definitely agree! I tried it a second time this past week, this time adding beef. It is delicious, especially considering how quick it was to prepare. I actually cut my steak first and then cooked the pieces. I'll have to try it your way next time!

Some of my friends have said Chapaguri has become even more popular in Korea these days than it was before the film released, reaching its height during Parasite's Oscar season. Not only is it a great and easy meal, but the dish itself ties into the themes of class in the movie, as Director Bong talks about in this LA Times article:
Quote:Bong said he came up with the steak-on-a-pile-of-instant noodles as a way of showing how the wealthy housewife wanted to please her young son but how she also regarded jjapaguri as food for commoners.

“This is something kids like, regardless of the rich or the poor,” Bong explained via email. “But the rich wife couldn’t stand her kid to eat this cheap noodle so she adds sirloin topping.”

The article goes into why it is referred to as "Ramdon" in the film, as well. Bong had incredible attention to detail in this film, and this is a great (and tasty) example of that!
(03-01-2020, 08:24 PM)Gaith Wrote: [ -> ]^ I thought only the Fellowship EE was aggressively re-graded?

It's just FotR then? Great, I've seen some fan regrades, I'll investigate one of those. Thanks.

(03-01-2020, 08:24 PM)Gaith Wrote: [ -> ]surely the theatrical DVDs can't possibly look better than theatrical blus...?! Smile

They might not but it's possible they could. A carefully mastered DVD can look great. They couldn't look worse than the blu-rays Big Grin .
I've seen the cover for this movie on blu-ray.com and wondered what it was about. It looks like one of the movies insane movies ever made, and only maybe mildly in a good way.

Come on, though, this tie-in song/video is amazing. Fair is fair!