Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Random movie thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Informant!
I liked this one. Damon was great, its not a laugh out loud comedy but there is alot of humor if you appreciate slow, dry, dialog based humor (ie. delivery, oddball lines)
worth a rent.

its also loaded w/ comedians not being funny - Joel McHale, Patton Oswalt, John Ennis, Smothers Brothers. The film has a Cohen Bros feel to it.
The 6th Day:

[Image: Sixth_day.jpg]

I liked this one when it came out back in 2000, and wondered whether it would hold up. Well, it does. The story is first-rate, with some very sharp screenwriting in that it's loaded with setups and payoffs. It's also pretty witty in parts, and seeing Arnold doubled is loads of fun. The rest of the cast is also great, particularly the smarmy but never over-the-top villain and Robert Duvall as a genuinely conflicted baddie. The action beats run a bit long, and a certain character is largely forgotten halfway through, but this is still a very fine futuristic adventure yarn.

B+.

Edit: I wonder... this is obviously not Arnold's best film, but could it be the smartest/most intellectual screenplay he's ever been in? Perhaps...
Valkyrie

I watched this one last night expecting a complete disaster, which always seems to inflate my opinion of something. I rather enjoyed the story and thought Tom Cruise was decent - odd because I cant stand him in almost everything.

Granted the historical "true story" aspect I cant compare because I know nothing of this operation but as a "fictional" tale for pure entertainment value, I thought it was pretty decent. I really liked the camera work throughout and editing choices when Cruise was thinking of his wife/kids on the plane.

As usual the "American actors as Germans" bothers me but what can you do... (I guess I could go watch Das Boot again Confusedmile: )

7/10
Just a few hours after I got back from watching How To Train Your Dragon, which is definitely one of the best films that Dreamworks Animation has done Smile , what did I see playing on TV:

Sharktale, which is definitely one of the absolute sh*ttiest animated films put out by Dreamworks Animation. Tongue

Ah, irony.... love it or hate it.
are you crazy? bob deniro and will smith are SHARKZZZZZZZZZZ!

Wink
Armored -
decent film, it didnt really do anything new but it was nice to see a another 'caper gone wrong' film. The cast was good and the direction was competent. I had seen Nimrod Antal's "Vacancy" and remember thinking the same thing. I have hope for his "Predators" following suit. He deserves a successful film.
7/10

State of Play -
another mediocre corporate/government scandal plot that was solidified by its cast. I really enjoyed the film but thought the end was a little weak even if it was highly "realistic" in that there wasnt a big overblown hollywood finale. apparently this one was based on a BBC series but I havent seen that. Crowe was good as the grungy reporter and Affleck (who looks more and more like his brother) was believable and seems to get better with age.
7/10
State of Play, the BBC series, is amazing and everyone should watch it. Even though the cast seems pretty nice in the movie remake, the BBC cast is BEYOND. John Simm, Kelly MacDonald, Bill Nighy, David Morrissey, James McAvoy and Polly Walker in the same series = EPIC.
ooh me likey kelly macdonald.
she is so "average hot" :-)

I'll have to see if I can netflix it or something.
apparently its Edge of Darkness good!

/nips off to amazon.
JasonN Wrote:Just a few hours after I got back from watching How To Train Your Dragon, which is definitely one of the best films that Dreamworks Animation has done Smile , what did I see playing on TV:

Sharktale, which is definitely one of the absolute sh*ttiest animated films put out by Dreamworks Animation. Tongue

Ah, irony.... love it or hate it.

Why limit Sharktale to one of the worst by Dreamworks? Hell, why limit it to animation?