Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Looking for Unbiased Feedback: My Legend of Zelda Fan Film
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I mentioned that I was working on this fan film several times on this forum. There's still a LOT to do, but I edited Link's battle with Ganondorf. There won't be much spoilers (since the final color grade, which is not done yet, will reflect what is happening on screen, plus because the dialogues are in Turkish). But the cuts are pretty much done (maybe except some fine tuning).

I want the opinion of you guys about several things. Does this look good? How is the editing so far? And, more importantly, I have two different versions of the fight. I ripped my 25th Anniversary Concert CD from my Skyward Sword game box, and I can't decide whether the clip with Twilight Princess music works better or the one with Wind Waker music. See below:

Which one works better?
It looks fantastic, the costumes, the fight choreography, it looks good and I'm super excited. I watched without sound so I can't report on which music works better, but I'll get back to you on that later.
(09-11-2019, 05:59 AM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: [ -> ]It looks fantastic, the costumes, the fight choreography, it looks good and I'm super excited. I watched without sound so I can't report on which music works better, but I'll get back to you on that later.

Wow thanks for the high praise Smile
Current version:

There's a weird cut 19 seconds in. I'm watching without sound and can't watch the whole thing right now, I'll give proper feedback later.
(09-15-2019, 05:55 PM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: [ -> ]There's a weird cut 19 seconds in. I'm watching without sound and can't watch the whole thing right now, I'll give proper feedback later.

I don't see it. Could you elaborate?

EDIT: Are you talking about the cut from wide to close? I can easily fix that.
(09-15-2019, 06:10 PM)Masirimso17 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2019, 05:55 PM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: [ -> ]There's a weird cut 19 seconds in. I'm watching without sound and can't watch the whole thing right now, I'll give proper feedback later.

I don't see it. Could you elaborate?

EDIT: Are you talking about the cut from wide to close? I can easily fix that.

Yes, that's what I mean. I can't explain what exactly is weird about it, it just doesn't look right.
Action scenes are pretty telegraphed. I watched the first video at 1.25x speed and it helped the sword choreography.
(09-15-2019, 06:20 PM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: [ -> ]Action scenes are pretty telegraphed. I watched the first video at 1.25x speed and it helped the sword choreography.

Hmm I’ll look into it but could you check the last video I shared as well? Not for the speed but for the other things, it is quite different now.
Some notes:

Visual
The Ganon makeup noticeably disappeared for part of the fight. You may be able to correct this digitally by masking and tracking his face.

The makeup itself does appear pretty similar to blackface makeup, which is a different kind of problem, but maybe not that big of a deal on this case because that's obviously not the intent and it is based on the game character who does pretty much look like that.

When Link falls to the ground, he fumbles around trying to stand, and it looks like he's going to grab his shield because of the framing. But instead, he walks toward camera and exits the shot that direction, where Ganon is (or at least where he was when we saw him last), and is able to walk slowly to his sword and pick it up. I think you should add an insert of Ganon doing something or somehow being preoccupied or distracted, to geographically establish that he's no longer close to Link. Otherwise why did he stop attacking, walk so far away, and just stand there to allow Link to recover? He was winning and then just stopped participating. Breaking up that shot will also eliminate the confusion of Link not going for the shield that was visible in frame.

The effect you're using to make him disappear doesn't work, I've tried that same effect in After Effects, a morph transition, takes forever to render and the results always look like that, you have no control over it. What you should do instead is stabilize the first shot and use a regular cross-fade. Then use a combination of zoom and rotation to match up the second shot's angle as close as possible to the first. Then duplicate the second shot and set the duplicate to freeze on the first frame, before the sword is visible, so you have a clean plate. Line the frozen shot up underneath the entire first shot on the timeline so the fade works smoothly, and allow the second shot to start to play sometime during or after the cross-fade. If you can match the angles well enough, you might not need the clean plate.

Sound
The beginning has no effects, needs to have some leaf rustling sounds for getting up and walking.
The weapons and shield clack together like plastic. They'll seem much more realistic with some metal sounds replacing what's there.
When the music starts, then Ganon talks, his voice is very low in comparison to the music, the music should dip lower while he talks, or the voice can just be raised.

Overall
I like the costumes, the filming is competent, the performances and choreography aren't boring or noticeably awkward (though I don't speak Turkish so I can't tell whether the line delivery is any good), and the editing isn't bad. Good work in progress, just needs some polishing.
Pages: 1 2