Fanedit Forums

Full Version: "Netflix for your phone"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quibi

Quote:Have you heard of Quibi? The upcoming streaming service will offer “quick bites of captivating entertainment, created for mobile by the best talent, designed to fit perfectly into any moment of your day.” In other words, short-form content (we’re talking like 10 minute runtimes here, max) that you can watch on your phone. The idea comes from Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman, who are selling Quibi as “Netflix for your phone.”

Even with Spielberg attached to it, this is something that I just can't imagine I would ever want.
It sounds like a pretty pointless concept. People already fill that slot with youtube (which is free). Plus, if they're limiting themselves to the short movie format, then they're going to struggle to create enough content to keep up with the demand that anyone who's paying for a subscription would have, let alone that that content should be quality.
I understand what this is going for, but saying "Netflix for phones" is like marketing Masters of the Universe as "Star Wars of the 80s". It's not, it's its own thing, and what you're marketing it as already exists. I use the Netflix mobile app frequently, and if I don't have time for something, I'll pause and continue it later.
Say this new service has a series, with a single narrative told in 10 minute chunks. Essentially, it'd be the same as watching 10 minutes of a movie at a time.
This is pointless.
Idiocracy is really coming into its own.
More evidence that Spielberg is out of touch with how people consume media.
Spielberg can do no wrong.
I would never in a million years...until I heard Spielberg was writing something. He hasn't written anything in twenty years, I'm interested for that alone.

Although, given his railing against Netflix very recently this is also pretty funny.
(06-11-2019, 10:22 AM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: [ -> ]Spielberg can do no wrong.

Sadly, that's just not true.
(06-11-2019, 10:22 AM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: [ -> ]Spielberg can do no wrong.

Because of the Internet I read that as "Thanos".

Also, my first reaction to the title/post: "Don't I already have Netflix on my phone?"
Pages: 1 2