Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Top Ten TV Shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
I haven't watched every episode of modern Simpsons, but everything I have seen in the past couple years was excellent in my opinion. I'm in the minority of people who thinks that The Simpsons never truly got bad. Though again, I haven't seen every episode, so maybe I'm missing something
TOP TEN FAVOURITE TV COMEDIES:

1.  The Wonder Years
2.  30 Rock
3.  The Office
4.  Cheers
5.  Happy Days
6.  The Dick Van Dyke Show
7.  The Andy Griffith Show
8.  Wings
9.  Seinfeld
10.  The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Big Grin
(01-26-2019, 10:50 AM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]TOP TEN FAVOURITE TV COMEDIES:

1.  The Wonder Years
2.  30 Rock
3.  The Office
4.  Cheers
5.  Happy Days
6.  The Dick Van Dyke Show
7.  The Andy Griffith Show
8.  Wings
9.  Seinfeld
10.  The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Big Grin

Are you making fun of me? If so...you left off Rawhide, Gunsmoke and Bonanza!  Big Grin 

If not...may I commend you on having good taste?
Here are ten series that I happily re-watch, and if they were still made today (at the same level of quality) I'd keep watching them.

Star Trek TOS
Babylon 5
Firefly
West Wing
Yes (Prime) Minister
Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Tintin, the integral animated series
David Attenborough's series of nature documentaries
il etait une fois... L'Homme (once upon a time... Man)
Monty Python's Flying Circus
(01-26-2019, 12:53 PM)Denizen Wrote: [ -> ]Are you making fun of me? If so...you left off Rawhide, Gunsmoke and Bonanza!  Big Grin 

If not...may I commend you on having good taste?

Don't worry, my Fave Westerns list will be forthcoming lol
Though Bonanza definitely drifted into comedy territory whether it intended to or not....  Tongue

What can I say, I love the classics.

Re-thinking it, HAPPY DAYS should be my Number One fave.  The nostalgia factor alone makes me smile.  It was a brilliantly written/directed family comedy.  It was so HUGE in its time, spawning many spin-offs.... Laverne & Shirley,  Mork & Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi... mostly it was a show with heart.  Still completely re-watchable and funny as hell.  And while it did coin the term "Jump the Shark" from a Fifth Season episode, the show remained in the top twenty ratings for 9 of its 11 seasons.
Thinking more about what makes a great tv comedy for me....

I think it comes down to a timeless, universal quality....?

I mean there are many current comedies I watch and laugh my myself silly on first watch.  But will they still be funny 10-20 years from now?

The Goldbergs is funny.  But it is no Wonder Years.  It is a victim of its own success, choosing formula over originality.   It is silly, nostalgic fun (I am a teen of the 80s!!!) that makes me laugh but it carries little to no weight.

Brooklyn 99, I howl with laughter with this show... at least during the first couple of seasons.   But will this show go down as a classic?  Or just as a funny show of it's time, like Barney Miller?

And will I still think 30 Rock is a classic 10 years from now?  As its humour is very topic oriented.

Or then you have shows that maybe have stayed on waaaaaay too long, and unfortunately the last few seasons sour your memory of what was once a brilliant show..... Scrubs, Simpsons, South Park, Two and Half Men, Friends, Mad About You...

Then you have a show like CHEERS.  I watched and laughed every week when it was originally on.... which is weird, since you would not think I was the demographic, being early teens and the show was about 30s, 40s and 50 years old hanging out in a bar.   And now that I am almost 50, I rewatch the show and laugh even harder, as I relate even more to the story and characters.   Genius writing!!!  BTW, I think the Kristie Alley years were funnier than the Shelly Long age...lol

Dick Van Dyck and Andy Griffeth are completely timeless and the humour transcends the decades because it is about people.

Mary Tyler Moore may feel at times the most dated but it also has the most humanity, which makes it both funny and poignant.

...why do I suddenly feel very old?  Tongue
(01-26-2019, 12:55 PM)lapis molari Wrote: [ -> ]Tintin, the integral animated series

Which one?
(01-26-2019, 02:35 PM)Duragizer Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-26-2019, 12:55 PM)lapis molari Wrote: [ -> ]Tintin, the integral animated series

Which one?

The 1991-1992 series. In some countries only on DVD, in France also released on Blu-ray. The latter is cropped for wide-screen, but worth it for the picture quality.
[Image: 250px-Fonz_and_Happy_Days_Gang.jpg]
(01-26-2019, 03:26 PM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 250px-Fonz_and_Happy_Days_Gang.jpg]

LOL!

An embarrassingly bad cartoon spin-off!  Winkler and Howard even provided their voices!  I hope they got paid lots!

But hey, it gets worse, Laverne & Shirley got a cartoon...

...and Mork and Mindy....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15