Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Interesting and unusual DVD/Blu-Ray releases (News)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
(06-24-2017, 02:15 AM)TM2YC Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 16302871_batman-mask-of-the-phantasm-is_tb13af2f.jpg]

'Batman: Mask of the Phantasm' is finally getting an HD release next month. The cool part is that Warner are including widescreen AND full-frame versions to keep everybody, including purists/non-philistines happy Big Grin . It'd be nice if this kind of dual-AR release was the norm.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21548

BEST. BATMAN. MOVIE. EVERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
(06-24-2017, 02:15 AM)TM2YC Wrote: [ -> ]The cool part is that Warner are including widescreen AND full-frame versions to keep everybody, including purists/non-philistines happy

I don't think this is about placating the "why are there black bars?!" crowd so much as it is acknowledging the ambiguity of "original aspect ratio" regarding the movie.  Naturally, the widescreen version is how the film was first presented in theaters.  However, the movie was originally intended to be a direct-to-video production, and was animated in 4:3, with the 1.85:1 theatrical version being cropped from the 4:3 version.  There's an argument to be made for either ratio being the original.
Just saw that during Prime day. $17.99 on sale was still too steep for me. I'll continue to enjoy my DVD until a better sale happens. Still, nice to have this gem in HD.

(07-13-2017, 07:59 PM)matrixgrindhouse Wrote: [ -> ]However, the movie was originally intended to be a direct-to-video production, and was animated in 4:3, with the 1.85:1 theatrical version being cropped from the 4:3 version.

Are you sure about this? The scenes don't look or feel cropped in widescreen.
From commentary I recall them saying they animated for television at first, then had to go back and "add on to the sides". Like they literally had to make the drawings bigger. Not sure what stage of animation they were at that point though.
I'm positive that it's the other way around - that some scenes were redrawn with the 1.85:1 aspect ratio in mind, yet still animated in 4:3.  I own both versions on DVD - here's a quick comparison.  While there's some information missing from the sides of the 4:3 version, there's a lot more visible vertically.

[Image: motpfs4_zpsumyrfjvf.jpg]
[Image: motpws4_zpsvkbn8wzn.jpg]
[Image: motpfs2_zpsosridufh.jpg]
[Image: motpws2_zpsdycxw0tj.jpg]
[Image: motpfullscreen_zps2vfwyrwq.jpg]
[Image: motpwidescreen_zpszkjeowvo.jpg]
[Image: motpfs3_zpsdnpakutq.jpg]
[Image: motpws3_zpswj3txv7i.jpg]
Well it looks like my future TAS edit of Phantom will be 4:3. Thanks for the heads up matrix!
(07-14-2017, 01:22 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: [ -> ]Well it looks like my future TAS edit of Phantom will be 4:3. Thanks for the heads up matrix!

You're making a fanedit of "Mask of the Phantasm"? What changes do you plan on making?
hbenthow, I answered you over in my ideas thread as to not derail this thread.

Looks like the blu ray for Mask of the Phantasm will have the same Dolby stereo track unfortunately.
I picked up the Criterion Region-B 'Lone Wolf and Cub' 7-film Boxset in the Prime-Day sale. The transfers look really nice and it's a decent upgrade from the Arrow DVD set. It's got a "secret" compartment...

...holding plans to make your own babycart of death.

[Image: Lone-Wolf-and-Cub-Blu-ray-hidden-compartment.jpg]
(07-14-2017, 01:22 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: [ -> ]Well it looks like my future TAS edit of Phantom will be 4:3. Thanks for the heads up matrix!

No problem.  Hopefully the Blu-Ray version of the 4:3 won't have the slight loss of picture information on the sides as the DVD.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15