Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Star Trek Discovery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(02-08-2019, 09:51 AM)addiesin Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-08-2019, 09:37 AM)wilhelm scream Wrote: [ -> ]If anyone's confused about why Star Trek has turned out the way it has as of late, this video explain it pretty nicely: [video]

Midnight's Edge is a questionable source of information.
https://fanfilmfactor.com/2018/11/19/my-...editorial/

Good article.   Oddly though, many of the points Fan Film Factor makes about Midnight Edge could be applied to themselves.  I love the spotlight FFF gives to other Trek Fan Films but even I find it difficult not to think FFF is biased when it comes to its coverage of AXANAR.  Some of the facts they present excusing Alec Peters actions and choices often make my eyes roll...

So both sources have positives and negatives.  You really need to keep a questioning mind when reading anything presented as "fact" on the old interweb.   Tongue
(02-08-2019, 02:32 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]Oddly though, many of the points Fan Film Factor makes about Midnight Edge could be applied to themselves.  
I'm not super familiar with the site, hypocritical as that may be. Sorry!

Quote:So both sources have positives and negatives.  You really need to keep a questioning mind when reading anything presented as "fact" on the old interweb.   Tongue
Absolutely agree.

I don't mean to imply that everything Midnight's Edge says is a lie. But if something they report seems out of the ordinary, it may be worth researching deeper.
(02-08-2019, 02:56 PM)addiesin Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-08-2019, 02:32 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]Oddly though, many of the points Fan Film Factor makes about Midnight Edge could be applied to themselves.  
I'm not super familiar with the site, hypocritical as that may be. Sorry!

Quote:So both sources have positives and negatives.  You really need to keep a questioning mind when reading anything presented as "fact" on the old interweb.   Tongue
Absolutely agree.

I don't mean to imply that everything Midnight's Edge says is a lie. But if something they report seems out of the ordinary, it may be worth researching deeper.

Oh I agree with you completely.
Both Midnight Edge and Fan Film Factor produce a lot of great content.  I enjoy both sites.  
But you still have to be wary.  Both sites, as with many online, on occasion seem to have agendas or biased slants or disguise opinion/conjecture/commentary as exclusive news content.
I am currently abroad, travelling from my beloved Canuckland to the USA to take my daughter for treatment at the Mayo Clinic, so I have not seen the latest episode and I am religiously avoiding any spoilers, but it sitting long hours in waiting rooms has given me time to dwell on the Klingon continuity issue and possible ways to align it to the visuals of TOS which is only about 10 years after Discovery....

In the last episode I watched, there was major retooling of the Klingons to align them towards the culture we know on TNG.  But strangely there was no acknowledgement of the established canon from Enterprise.... a 100 years has passed since the time of Captain Archer, thus there should be about 3 generations of Human looking Klingons running around by now.  But so far, there has been no mention or sight of them.

But maybe this on purpose.   Maybe they exist but are shunned and segerated within the Klingon Empire.  Maybe they are viewed as an inferior and dishonorable.   Maybe they are used as a slave race.  Thus they are present in all facets of the Klingon infrastructure, serving as soldiers and servents throughout the Empire.  Leaderless and waiting for someone to rise up to guide them.

And maybe Ash could be that character.

Maybe Ash, frustrated by the lack of respect and honor he receives from his fellow Klingons, leads the human klingons in revolt and they seize majority control of the council, and thus become the face of the Klingon Empire in the coming new decade....

Lots of maybes....

But fun to speculate.... Tongue
(02-10-2019, 11:38 AM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]I am currently abroad, travelling from my beloved Canuckland to the USA to take my daughter for treatment at the Mayo Clinic...

Sorry to hear about your daughter. All the best to her and your family.
Thanks my friend.

In other news, there could be major news about the re-merger of Viacom and CBS in coming days or weeks...
https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/06/reports-cbs-in-talks-to-end-shareholder-lawsuit-with-viacom-merger-on-hold-moonves-negotiating-exit/

If this happens, it would put all Star Trek properties back together in a single pot.  It would remove some of the storytelling handcuffs Discovery has to endure.
I imagine it would be a massive boon for the upcoming PICARD series as well.
bionicbob Wrote:Maybe they exist but are shunned and segerated within the Klingon Empire.  Maybe they are viewed as an inferior and dishonorable.   Maybe they are used as a slave race.  Thus they are present in all facets of the Klingon infrastructure, serving as soldiers and servents throughout the Empire.  Leaderless and waiting for someone to rise up to guide them.

And maybe Ash could be that character.

Maybe Ash, frustrated by the lack of respect and honor he receives from his fellow Klingons, leads the human klingons in revolt and they seize majority control of the council, and thus become the face of the Klingon Empire in the coming new decade....

Oh! I like the idea of them not being able to get Ash back into his old Voq body, but being able to modify him enough to have that more human-style Klingon body.

bionicbob Wrote:In other news, there could be major news about the re-merger of Viacom and CBS in coming days or weeks...
https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/06/reports-cbs-in-talks-to-end-shareholder-lawsuit-with-viacom-merger-on-hold-moonves-negotiating-exit/

If this happens, it would put all Star Trek properties back together in a single pot.  It would remove some of the storytelling handcuffs Discovery has to endure.
I imagine it would be a massive boon for the upcoming PICARD series as well.

In general I don't like big companies merging, but in this case the way they split was such a mess that I don't have any qualms with it.
Disco lives!!!

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/star-tr...203150809/

So as many of you know, I did not love season one for many, many, many reasons... lol
To the point I questioned if my Trek days were finally behind me?

But NO!!!!

I am SO LOVING season two!!!!  I still have lots of canon nitpicks, but the improvement is so dramatic over season one it feels like a completely different show.   Last season, the show felt schizoid, a war show with no war, an exploration show with no exploring, a character drama with no earned development... it was a frustrating watch.

But this season so far has been amazing.  The jump in quality is much like going from Next Gen season one to season three.

The writing and narrative structure, while still accelerated, has purpose and design.  Better use and development of characters.... making the characters likeable, is always a plus! lol  But more importantly, it actually feels like Star Trek.  From the renewed crew camaraderie to adhering of Roddenberry's Trek principals, the show feels more confident.  It no longer feels like it is trying to be another show (ie.. a more hip show or Games of Thrones-is) but is instead embracing what makes and has made Trek successfully work for over 5 decades, while still trying to be modern and take it in fresh directions.
Newbie warning alert!!

I've always loved Star Trek with the exception of Deep Space 9  (just couldn't get into it). You hit it on the head when you talked about the quality between season 1 & 2. Even before Season 2 I was hooked, it was just different enough for me to really enjoy it. I'm up to episode 5 in season 2 and I'm so glad I stuck with it, it's really getting good. Why do you think it had such low ratings? Do you think season 2 can save this series? I heard they might cancel the series, I hope not.

Thanks for letting this newbie rant a little here.
(03-01-2019, 08:42 AM)KoDomino Wrote: [ -> ]Newbie warning alert!!Why do you think it had such low ratings? Do you think season 2 can save this series? I heard they might cancel the series, I hope not.

Read post above link.
Disco lives.
Renewed for season three.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28