Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Star Trek Discovery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Star trek disco shirt? Like this?
[Image: Hairy+Bones.jpg]
[Image: disco-bones.jpg]
[Image: disco-bones.jpg]

If not, forget it.
By the mid-season break I've warmed to the characters somewhat. I felt they started to act more like proper Star Trek characters, heroic and selfless (especially Chief Engineer Stamets with what he put himself through). I'm not sure if this is because it's difficult not to care about characters you've watched for 9 episodes, or because they have actually been better written (Perhaps a little of both).
I've read some good things about Discovery and am about to catch up with the rest of the series. After the cinematic tone of the first two episodes it seemed to go in a "bleh" direction for me. But I've only heard positive things so I'm interested in checking up on it.
I've really been enjoying Discovery. Granted, it's not like previous Stsr Trek TV versions but that's what's sort of refreshing about it. I've always enjoyed continuous storylines more than episodic ones. The only small thing that bugged me in the fall season finale was how

Stamets is talking to Captain Lorca and seems fine, says he'll plug in for one final jump, then suddenly collapses during the jump. I just wish he would have seemed more tired or exhausted or something to accentuate he wasn't well.

I'm looking forward to it returning in 2018.
(11-15-2017, 09:03 AM)Q2 Wrote: [ -> ]The only small thing that bugged me in the fall season finale was how

Stamets is talking to Captain Lorca and seems fine, says he'll plug in for one final jump, then suddenly collapses during the jump. I just wish he would have seemed more tired or exhausted or something to accentuate he wasn't well.

Are we totally sure Stamets didn't do it on purpose? (for some reason, on some level). He's mentioned feeling like he's a different person sometimes. Mirror-Universe Stamets? Perhaps that's where Discovery has gone.
But then they could have alluded to it either by a look he gives or a small action. I think it could have been done just a little better.
(11-15-2017, 03:19 PM)Q2 Wrote: [ -> ]But then they could have alluded to it either by a look he gives or a small action. I think it could have been done just a little better.

I think they were throwing out hints of a mirror universe earlier in the episode when the captain and stemets are talking over the mapped drive jumps charts and stamets mentions that the pockets of negative mass could contain alternate universes and could be navigated with more jumps and later when he says to his partner that it was his last jump i knew they were going to be go down the route of having the crew stranded .
Hero Wrote:I've read some good things about Discovery and am about to catch up with the rest of the series. After the cinematic tone of the first two episodes it seemed to go in a "bleh" direction for me. But I've only heard positive things so I'm interested in checking up on it.

I was up and down on it throughout the first half of the season but I'm really into it at this point and can't wait for it to come back in January.
So did anyone see that Jonathan Frakes is directing the ST: Discovery episode that airs tomorrow night? I haven't yet watched this show, but with Mr. Frakes involved I just might bite the bullet.
Oh and thank you to everyone who is using spoiler tags. I was worried about coming in here, but you all are fine and thoughtful people Smile
Discovery returned last night.  It was a big episode for reveals, though most, if not all, were all ready suspected/predicted in fan theories or leaked on the old web.   Though the one death caught me by surprise!

One thing this show does well, if fans are patient, it does eventually explain things in later episodes that a watcher might think is a plot hole at the time.... for example the thoroughness of Lt. Tyler's previous medical exam.

There was nice tie-in to Prime Universe TOS and Enterprise canon.

so...ummmmm..... is there absolutely no security guards in the brig??????????? lol

Captain Killy.   cute.

Directed by Number One Frakes, though I can not tell if he brought anything fresh to the table.

Lorca's motivations continue to be suspect.  Will the fan theory regarding his character prove to be true too?

Though, if Lorca is from the Mirror Universe and he sent the Discovery there intentionally (which I believe), they established in this episode that Mirror Lorca might actually be a Good Guy since he is a rebel against the Terran Empire.   So the plot could go a couple of ways.... Mirror Lorca will return to the Prime Universe, or they might find the Prime Lorca trapped here and bring him back.   Or something completely different and hopefully original... ha ha

For me, an entertaining return.   Though what drives the show and what it is ultimately about, continues to eludes me.   Is it because on some level I keep expecting a traditional Trek show, which this clearly is not and does not want to be, or is the show still finding its space legs and needs a stronger driver at the wheel?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28