Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Star Trek Discovery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Mike and Rich are more positive than one might expect...

Episode 3 "Context is for Kings"

Again, really enjoyed it.

It has a more formal pilot structure... a disgraced Starfleet Officer (Burnham) is recruited by the mysterious Captain of the newly commissioned starship Discovery for a secret mission to stop the war with the Klingons.  

We see the new ship, meet many of the main crew and some mysteries are set into play.   All the while the narrative is told in a fresh way, forgoing traditional Trek structure which I find to be very invigorating.
Episode 4 "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not For The Lamb's Cry"

Even though it's killing me, I will stay spoiler and detail free.... lol

This episode really divided and frustrated me.

The main plot of Burnham studying a seemingly dangerous life form and her discovery, it is Trek at its finest.  It truly captures what Trek at its core is all about.  Even if the ending has a tragic quality, it becomes clear, despite Burnham's past actions, she is the spirit, light and compass of the ideals of the Federation on this morally ambiguous starship.  So yeah, this element of the show I am absolutely LOVING!

Now comes the rage/rant... the KLINGONS.
I have come to the conclusion I despise the redesign.   While I have no issue with tweaking the Klingons, as their look has been evolving since TMP, this change is so radical it seems to serve no point other than change for change's sake.   While this new look may make them seem even more alien (which I assume is the intent???), the make up prosthetics are so heavy that there is no individuality, no character expression, no complexity of emotion on any of the actor's face.   Thus, the Klingon characters seemingly lack any uniqueness despite giving them different shades of skin and ridges.   Also, while the new costume design is visually gorgeous, it seems completely impractical for a warrior culture since they don't seem to be able to move or have any flexibility in these new duds.

Further hampering the Klingon actor's performance is the decision to have them speak entirely in Klingon with subtitles (thanks Game of Thrones....ggrrrrrrrr!!!).   Since the Klingon language seems to have no inflection, rhythm or nuances, it makes the scenes feel overly long and boring, but worse, it dampens any impact the dialogue or performance is suppose to have.

And then last night's fourth episode Klingon scenes was made even more frustrating due to the fact the subtitles could not keep up with the pages and pages of Klingon dialogue.  I either was completely missing out on what was happening onscreen because I was too busy reading or the subtitles would change before I could finishing reading it, thus making following the conversation almost impossible!  ARRGGGGG!  What are the producers thinking?  Why don't they just Red October it?

In the end, a potentially really great episode mired by poor production choices on how to use the Klingons.
(10-09-2017, 12:38 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]Episode 4 "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not For The Lamb's Cry"

This episode really divided and frustrated me.

Agreed. Only got round to watching this episode today, which speaks to my waning interest in this new show. MB aside (who is still interesting) all the characters are a**holes, of one sort, or another. One of the crew angrily tells MB to stop being "curious". Er hello, is this Star Trek? The Captain is the worst kind of leader, a bully. He is starting to remind me of...

[Image: cebff581edea9e202db76b5de6cfceeba19e78a9.jpg]

...and...

[Image: admiral-nechayev.jpg]

Characters that in TNG would exist in one episode so Picard and Riker could give them impassioned rants about the principles of the Federation and how to be a good leader. If that's going to come into play in Discovery over the course of the season, with MB having him removed from command, then okay that could be interesting. Right now I don't trust this show enough to think that is going to happen. I'd be more inclined to think we are stuck with a horrible d*ck of a Captain.

(10-09-2017, 12:38 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]I have come to the conclusion I despise the Klingon redesign.

the make up prosthetics are so heavy that there is no individuality, no character expression, no complexity of emotion on any of the actor's face.   Thus, the Klingon characters seemingly lack any uniqueness despite giving them different shades of skin and ridges.

Further hampering the Klingon actor's performance is the decision to have them speak entirely in Klingon with subtitles

So true. The Klingon scenes dragged this episode down. 5-minute scenes of actors with no ability to act through heavy makeup, delivering lines in an alien language we don't understand (unless you are hardcore Trek!), with subtitles and characters I can hardly tell apart is the pits. I was groaning whenever a Klingon establishing shot came up.

I'll stick with the show for now because it still might be going somewhere I like (that somewhere needs to be towards the Star Trek franchise) but my patience is wearing thin.

Fan theory time! Is this show set in the Prime, or Kelvin timeline? Neither. It's set in...

[Image: 337023.jpg]

Big Grin
I watched a little. It's funny, the Orville's production team obviously tried to distance the look of their Krill aliens from the traditional Klingon design for legal reasons. But since Discovery did the same thing for "creative" reasons, the Krill look just like the new albino Klingons. Whoops!

Convergent evolution isn't just an in-universe phenomena. It also happens behind the scenes.

Oooooorcs! Iiiiiiiin! Spaaaaaaaaaaace!
(10-14-2017, 03:55 PM)addiesin Wrote: [ -> ]I watched a little. It's funny, the Orville's production team obviously tried to distance the look of their Krill aliens from the traditional Klingon design for legal reasons. But since Discovery did the same thing for "creative" reasons, the Krill look just like the new albino Klingons. Whoops!

Convergent evolution isn't just an in-universe phenomena. It also happens behind the scenes.

Oooooorcs! Iiiiiiiin! Spaaaaaaaaaaace!

Yet i thought the krill reminded me more of the jem'hadar
The other annoying question about the last episode that really bugged me is....

Why would Starfleet leave the Klingon ship drifting for 6 MONTHS?!?!  Especially since they know it has some sort of Cloaking Tech?  I mean someone from Starfleet had to have returned or how else did Michael receive Captain Georgiou's telescope?

Or... 

Why did the Klingons wait to return 6 Months for the cloaking tech???

On the flip side, I am really enjoying The Orville.   It truly is a love letter to the Next Generation.   I mean its not original or even hilarious, but it feels like Trek Comfort Food lol.
(10-14-2017, 04:05 PM)gazza Wrote: [ -> ]Yet i thought the krill reminded me more of the jem'hadar

I'm not particularly knowledge about Star Trek lore, there very well could be a better match.
(10-14-2017, 03:55 PM)addiesin Wrote: [ -> ]I watched a little. It's funny, the Orville's production team obviously tried to distance the look of their Krill aliens from the traditional Klingon design for legal reasons. But since Discovery did the same thing for "creative" reasons, the Krill look just like the new albino Klingons. Whoops!

The first thing that I thought of when seeing the Krill and hearing their name was that it's surprising that the makers of "Star Trek Beyond" aren't suing them for the combined similarity to Krall in both name and appearance.

Krill:

[Image: Orrville-Ep106_Sc63-RM_0626_hires1-625x352.jpg]

Krall:

[Image: star-trek-beyond-krall.jpg]

Quote:Convergent evolution isn't just an in-universe phenomena. It also happens behind the scenes.

The TNG episode "The Chase" revealed that all or most humanoids in the Star Trek universe were descended from the same species, which was seeded on various planets across the universe by a race of humanoids. Therefore, evolution among humanoids in the Star Trek universe isn't convergent, but rather the opposite (with each species starting out the same and evolving in different ways on each planet on which they were placed).

I'm not sure whether this is the case of the universe of "The Orville", however.

SPOILER 

Episode 5.
 i wasnt shocked that star trek after 54 years decided to swear twice in a single episode but more disapointed. and what has happened to the klingon code of honour,also the imprisoned captain vaporizes every klingon he comes across only to scar the female torturer(probally so she can re-appear in a future episode) then to leave her so she could raise the alarm.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28