Fanedit Forums

Full Version: Star Trek Discovery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(08-19-2017, 08:13 PM)gazza Wrote: [ -> ]I hope the show does well but i have my concers about the redesign of the klingons .

I can appreciate that.

I didn't really care for the new design when I first saw it either, but I am willing to give it a try.   The Klingons Look has continually evolved and changed over the decades.  The Klingons of TMP were a radical change from TOS and initially met much resistance from fans.  And every Trek series since has tweaked and fine tuned the Klingon design.

This new design seems to borrow heavily from the Kelvin Universe design, which I did not care for but worked within the context of the rebooted universe.
I remember in into darkness they said klingon homeworld was dying and in undicovered country they said klingons only had 50 years left so i suppose the colour change could be down to the cold weather or increased pollution as well as the costume choice
Klingon teaser.... its ok... why do the visuals make me think Game of Thrones...? LOL

I like this one, definitely feels relevant.... but imagine if they used some classic Jerry Goldsmith Trek themes instead... could have been epic! 
(08-26-2017, 12:33 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]Klingon teaser.... its ok... why do the visuals make me think Game of Thrones...? LOL

I like this one, definitely feels relevant.... but imagine if they used some classic Jerry Goldsmith Trek themes instead... could have been epic! 

yeah i kept expecting them to say "winter is coming"
7 hours til the premiere here in Canuckland....

Not certain if this is the actual main titles or just promo material.... I like the imagery, but the more I hear the theme music, the more underwhelming it feels.  Sounds too much of an amalgam/homage of the TOS and nuTrek themes, rather than being BOLD and NEW and its own identity. 

Hhmmmm.... you can never fully please a Trek fan  Big Grin  it's either not original enough or too different or something else...  Tongue lol
Watched the first two episodes, still processing it all and definitely need to watch again,
but my initial impression is I liked it.
I really liked it.

Do I agree with all the creative choices or is the direction I would have chosen to go?
No.  Probably not.

But does it feel like Star Trek?
Yes.  Yes, it does for me.

I won't go into any spoilers....

Visually it is very cinematic and truly gorgeous at times.
Though the editing is a bit chaotic and geography is occasionally confusing.
The episode soundtrack was epic and bold.

Sonequa Martin-Green is brilliant!  She is the center and star of this show, and pulls it off magnificently.
Also, loved Doug Jone's Lt. Saru, a great fresh original Trek character.

As I said I won't go into spoilers yet, but the first two episodes are really prequels to the main series proper, with the third episode introducing the starship Discovery and the main mission.   If you are Babylon 5 fan, the first two episodes are like IN THE BEGINNING, showing a historic event that will drive the remaining the series.

Is this series set in the Kelvin or Prime Universe?  Honestly, I think you can interpret it as either thus far.  The only Prime Universe indicator so far might be how they use Stardates,  as they use the same numbering system as the original series, instead of the actual year date as was in the Kelvin movies.

Based on the first two episodes, I am very intrigued and find myself excited for the third.  Smile
(09-24-2017, 10:44 PM)bionicbob Wrote: [ -> ]Watched the first two episodes, still processing it all and definitely need to watch again,
but my initial impression is I liked it.
I really liked it.

Do I agree with all the creative choices or is the direction I would have chosen to go?
No.  Probably not.

But does it feel like Star Trek?
Yes.  Yes, it does for me.

I won't go into any spoilers....

Visually it is very cinematic and truly gorgeous at times.
Though the editing is a bit chaotic and geography is occasionally confusing.
The episode soundtrack was epic and bold.

Sonequa Martin-Green is brilliant!  She is the center and star of this show, and pulls it off magnificently.
Also, loved Doug Jone's Lt. Saru, a great fresh original Trek character.

As I said I won't go into spoilers yet, but the first two episodes are really prequels to the main series proper, with the third episode introducing the starship Discovery and the main mission.   If you are Babylon 5 fan, the first two episodes are like IN THE BEGINNING, showing a historic event that will drive the remaining the series.

Is this series set in the Kelvin or Prime Universe?  Honestly, I think you can interpret it as either thus far.  The only Prime Universe indicator so far might be how they use Stardates,  as they use the same numbering system as the original series, instead of the actual year date as was in the Kelvin movies.

Based on the first two episodes, I am very intrigued and find myself excited for the third.  Smile

So do you think after the 13 episode run there will be enough fans or viewers to warrant a second season..also if you could compare it to other  star trek which star trek does it resemble the most?
The thing that's going to kill this series is it being limited to CBS All Access. I can't imagine many people subscribing to CBS.com just for this.
(09-24-2017, 11:33 PM)Q2 Wrote: [ -> ]The thing that's going to kill this series is it being limited to CBS All Access. I can't imagine many people subscribing to CBS.com just for this.

I agree.  I consider myself a big long time Trek fan but based on just the first two episodes, I would not be motivated to subscribe.  They were good, but not that good.  Luckily, here in Canada I don't have to make that choice.  Otherwise, I would be content to wait till DVD release.

Quote:[size=small][font=Raleway, sans-serif]So do you think after the 13 episode run there will be enough fans or viewers to warrant a second season..also if you could compare it to other  star trek which star trek does it resemble the most?[/font][/size]

That is difficult to speculate at this point.  I would say, based on what I have read and seen in the first two eps, that this is show you will not be able to fully judge until it completes it's entire 15 episode story arc.  Will it be renewed?  Only the CBS gods know.

In terms of visuals and stylings, it looks like the Kelvin movies.  
The banter and relationships feel very TOS.
The serialized nature and war subject matter might suggest a DS9 vibe to some.

But honestly, it all felt very fresh and fun.   As I said before, the first two episodes were really focused on the Michael Burnham character with no time spent on any of the other crew except Lt. Saru and their Captain.  I believe in episode three we will meet the Discovery crew and captain, so it might gain a more traditional Trek tone.  But I hope it maintains the Burnham point of view, as it injects a really enjoyable new dynamic and energizes the classic Trek storytelling.

An interesting side note, the story takes place in 2256 and is about the original war between the Federation and Klingons.  The same time period and subject as the scandalized fan film AXANAR.  And while it seems clear Axanar producer Alec Peters was misleading donors and misusing funds, one has to wonder if this was the main driving reason why CBS shut them down?

Only got to see the first episode, hopefully ctv will have more in the coming weeks. Hopefully nothing in this post is too spoiler-y, but it might be a little so don't read if you haven't seen the show yet.

It grinded my gears a lot, but I started to feel at home a bit towards the end of the episode.

Pros:
Main character
Science officer guy
uniforms for the most part (thought I wouldn't dig them but they're nice)
Characterizations of the klingons
social commentary
son of none

Cons:
opening teaser
the 'look' of the show (argh) and its superficial flash
the look of the klingons and their ship exteriors (interiors were actually beautiful)
the starship
Gonna be picky and self centered here but I want to see some starfleet officers that look like regular people you might see in your town, that you know, that you work with ect. and not like models, just so that they are a bit more relate-able, or I'm getting old. *cough* barkley *cough*
Signal jamming and they have a HOLO conversation with the starfleet boss? A HOLO conversation?
sand insignia and its execution: So a family of godzillas walk around in the desert and leave a track visible enough from a mile or two up and then an apparent 6 foot long starship flys past the camera. Oops. No really, that whole thing doesn't make sense.

I feel like there was a natural progression in quality from tos to tng to ds9 to voyager to enterprise and they just threw out everything they learned and made everything in this one look cheap and tried to fix it with lens flares.

It was an effort to try and enjoy it and give it a chance, but a lot of it just grinded my gears. But it may get better, who knows?

^ man, you read that grouchy junk I just wrote? I'll give it another chance, I think it could get good, but maybe this one just isn't for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28