• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Hobbit - The Precious edition

So my only note would be that the image looks a little too green for all the images you shared, maybe you could play around with the tint, neutralize it? Also maybe raise the brightness/contrast without upping the highlights you removed of course?

So my only note would be that the image looks a little too green for all the images you shared, maybe you could play around with the tint, neutralize it? Also maybe raise the brightness/contrast without upping the highlights you removed of course?

I'll tweak the contrast a bit. I agree about the green. I might tone it down just a notch. I'll tweak it further ever so slightly.

Removed green tint, further removed highlights and bloom and increased peak brightness to make sure the sun pops when needed. The sky litterally looks 100x better this way. It is more defined and more blue. It has definition.

I compared it to the original trilogy and it's far more in line with it's contrast ratios. Slightly darker perhaps, but that's an easy trade-off for not having your eyes bleed by excessive bloom.

Superb! I think it still needs more contrast or at least darker black levels but it looks great!

Superb! I think it still needs more contrast or at least darker black levels but it looks great!
I fiddled with it alot, but I ended up with this. It's slightly muted, but it helps transition it into the LotR trilogy which also is more muted by comparison. Plus, the blacks seem gray-ish in some stills because there's a blizzard going on all the time lol.

I fiddled with it alot, but I ended up with this. It's slightly muted, but it helps transition it into the LotR trilogy which also is more muted by comparison. Plus, the blacks seem gray-ish in some stills because there's a blizzard going on all the time lol.
Fair enough. Great job!

thanks to some great feedback from @GarStazi I was able to remove the Dwarfs leaving after failing to open the door. It's now a cinematic moment where Bilbo and the Dwarfs simultaniously realise they need the moonlight. Very tricky, but it actually works quite well. Thanks @M4_ for helping me with the shot of the dwarfs together! That was a crucial shot 🫡

So since this is a never ending project basically, I now realised I also do not like how the Hobbit tries to copy the ending to LotR. So I removed the sappy goodbye to the dwarfs we barely got to know. Bilbo now doesn't finish his sentence, and he and gandalf walk off. We the audience know he will miss Thorin.

No sappy dwarf tears. It's fake manipulation and hollow.

Last edited:
Blasphemy of the highest order! :eek:
How can the story end without the “You are welcome anytime. Don't bother knocking” invitation?

Now for real, you’re right. This works much better, nice fix :cool:

Also, the “goodbye” bit was the funeral. Nothing else needs to be said

Blasphemy of the highest order! :eek:
How can the story end without the “You are welcome anytime. Don't bother knocking” invitation?

Now for real, you’re right. This works much better, nice fix :cool:

Also, the “goodbye” bit was the funeral. Nothing else needs to be said

Glad you like it! I realised I really hated it. It's completely unearned for them to give a Frodo and Sam level goodbye to the whole group.

Plus, the earned emotion actually came with the funeral. On top of that it makes far more sense for Bilbo as a character to just sneak away. On the other hand I need to re-export part 2. I made a big mistake in the Export during Bard's intro scene lol. There's a shot with only grain, nothing else 🤣🤣🤣

Brilliant change, and one I never thought of. Works perfectly.
These edits really are hard for any first time viewer to take issue with. I could see someone whos never seen the hobbit films watching your edits confused as to why they have such a mixed reception,

Have you showed these versions to anyone unfamiliar with the original films yet? Very curious to see their reaction. I cant imagine anything but positivity really. Your versions are nearly immune to criticism IMO. Very palatable.

Brilliant change, and one I never thought of. Works perfectly.
These edits really are hard for any first time viewer to take issue with. I could see someone whos never seen the hobbit films watching your edits confused as to why they have such a mixed reception,

Have you showed these versions to anyone unfamiliar with the original films yet? Very curious to see their reaction. I cant imagine anything but positivity really. Your versions are nearly immune to criticism IMO. Very palatable.

I mean what else can a faneditor hope to read but kind words as these?

Honestly? I think I did make the films as palatable as possible considering the source material. All three films have pretty decent pacing ( although I personally dislike the second film the most ) and keep the stupid to a very acceptable level.

But that's my main issue with my edits, to me personally. It shows that with this imo mostly less than ideal (and at times truly awful) source material there is a pretty decent Hobbit film lurking around.

Imagine if the director had actually given a damn and tried to make the narrative work! It could have easily been a true companion to LotR (which imo not a single edit, including mine, is).

1. The damn windlance being introduced but not used by Bard. IT'S RIGHT THERE! His son should have given him the arrow, after which the Dragon taunts him and threatens his son, toying with him. Meanwhile bard rushes to the windlance with the arrow and is able to save his son just in time.

2. We should have seen Sauron sending away his army with clouds, making it make sense that trolls are out in daylight. Either that or don't show trolls.

3. Bilbo should have been bloody invisible while he get's knocked out. I can get behind him being more heroic than in the book, I can get behind him trying to reach Thorin. BUT DONT LET HIM REACH HIM. Let the audience know he has failed by getting knocked out. THEN you should this bizarre dream with the party in the Shire getting invaded by orks, Elfish arrows turning into fireworks while we see Thorin heroically defeating Azog while Bjorn stampedes through his little house. Then he wakes up to realise the actual horror of the war. Thorin is dying, he wasn't the heroic victor of his dreams. Subvert the expectations a bit, be creative in your story telling.

4. The Orc army should have looked more like the goblins in part 1. The smaller less OP looking ones. That way the horde can actually work. But to be fair my edit mostly fixes the armies looking WAY too big.

Besides that, I enjoy the edits I made. I even enjoy the trilogy narrative and think it's the right way to go! This means the studio's actually still could have gotten their trilogy, and have a compelling story if they had actually tried.

Last edited:
Bit of a rant lol sorry. But to answer your question lol no I haven't been able to show anyone who hasn't seen it. It would be very interesting!

'3. Bilbo should have been bloody invisible while he get's knocked out.' <- I'm still trying to realise this tbh. But it's tricky precious. After that I'm done untill ai tools reach godmode.

Last edited:
Bit of a rant lol sorry. But to answer your question lol no I haven't been able to show anyone who hasn't seen it. It would be very interesting!

'3. Bilbo should have been bloody invisible while he get's knocked out.' <- I'm still trying to realise this tbh. But it's tricky precious. After that I'm done untill ai tools reach godmode.
hmm... Thats a great idea. I'll see if anything can be done on that front with the tools I have at my disposal. I think I can recreate the invisible effect. It also requires some painting over Bilbo in the frame where he gets hit.

As to the three film structure, youre totally right. I initially thought this had to be two films but your edits proved me wrong. Its much better in a three act trilogy. Theres too much story conflict for two films.
The three films were actually a jackson idea btw. Studio planned on two films. Jackson thought it would work better in three. If he used your precious edition ending for Movie 2 he would be correct.

hmm... Thats a great idea. I'll see if anything can be done on that front with the tools I have at my disposal. I think I can recreate the invisible effect. It also requires some painting over Bilbo in the frame where he gets hit.

As to the three film structure, youre totally right. I initially thought this had to be two films but your edits proved me wrong. Its much better in a three act trilogy. Theres too much story conflict for two films.
The three films were actually a jackson idea btw. Studio planned on two films. Jackson thought it would work better in three. If he used your precious edition ending for Movie 2 he would be correct.
Yeah the ending for movie 2 was quite obviously edited in such a way to give people a reason to go to the third film in the lamest way possible: Not showing the desolation of *#)%!(! Smaug!!! I'm still angry at that!

Thanks for the kind words <3 I was definitely not going to do it as a trilogy at first untill I had the narrative opening idea. :)

Back
Top Bottom