• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Movies With Officially Released Alternate Cuts (Well Known)

Prism_Skywalker

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This forum is different from the one discussing cuts of films that aren't publicaly invailable in the fact that this forum is for discussing the ones that are available, and well-endorsed by the respective distributor: What classifies as such would be Once Upon A Deadpool cut of Deadpool 2, as that version of the film was officially released by the legal rights holder.
So for starters here's some Marvel films with alternate cuts that are on home video that publicly and legally released:

Fantastic Four (2005) Extended Edition
Daredevil (Directors Cut)
Elektra (Directors Cut)
The Wolverine (Unleashed - Unrated)
Logan (B&W Version)

Last edited:
I've updated the name of your thread to include Officially Released as to not confuse anyone.

This forum
I believe you mean thread.

It would also be preferred if we could keep limit the amount of R rated discussed films as there's a lot of adult films with versions I'd prefer not to endorse and or discuss.
Staff will not enforce such as members of the community are able to engage in an open-ended thread how they will as long as they are following established guidelines.

So for starters here's some Marvel films with alternate cuts that are on home video that publicly and legally released:
Elektra (Directors Cut)
Logan (B&W Version)
I'm also struggling with your request after seeing your list. Logan is rated R, The Wolverine Unleashed is unrated which is essentially rated R with the new content, and The Daredevil director's cut is rated R. You aren't following your own request.

So this is just a thread listing different cuts of films rather than providing any detail or discussion?

This forum is different from the one discussing cuts of films that aren't publicaly invailable in the fact that this forum is for discussing the ones that are available, and well-endorsed by the respective distributor: What classifies as such would be Once Upon A Deadpool cut of Deadpool 2, as that version of the film was officially released by the legal rights holder.
It would also be preferred if we could keep limit the amount of R rated discussed films as there's a lot of adult films with versions I'd prefer not to endorse and or discuss.

Elektra (Directors Cut)
Logan (B&W Version)

So this is just a thread listing different cuts of films rather than providing any detail or discussion?
It can have both i just thought I'd begin by listing sorry. I wanted a place for known and public released cuts to be doccumented.

I'm not sure if it's an alternate cut or an extended cut, but I know for a fact that Dumb & Dumber has different cuts. Used to watch that movie a lot, but then later in time new scenes appeared that were not there before. The main one that stands out is in the dream sequence, where there is an entire restaurant scene and a fight with the Chef. That wasn't in the movie initially, so it has to be a new cut.

Well, there are two versions but dream sequence in restaurant was always there (and I watched it countless times starting in 1994 on VHS, DVD and in various TV stations). In both theatrical and extended cut.

And here are differences between the two: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2763 (as you can see, restaurant scene isnt listed as a difference)
in that case I prefer theatrical.

Last edited:
Bad Santa has three versions

1. The original cut (the best IMO)
2. Badder Santa (basically just incorporates some deleted footage and a small subplot towards the beginning)
3. The Director's Cut - much different from the original with a less upbeat tone and different music. This

I heard somewhere there's 3 versions of the 1984 Dune movie released? There's theatrical and extended but what's the other?

I'm actually confused right now, so I watched Close Encounters Of The Third Kind Collectors Edition DVD, and now that I've seen the film I want to upgrade to the version with the most cuts?
How do I do that? What set has most versions and some bonus features?

Also: Is there any database documenting films with other versions?

Have you tried googling the answer first? There are lots of resources out there. Bluray.com is one.

Okay so here's a short list I came up with of old classic movies that have alternate cuts in some capacity with such stated: Any additional knowings would be appreciated: Please don't go into graphic detail and avoid NC-17/X rated discussions.

Wyatt Earp - Special Extended Edition (Released on VHS)
Tombstone - Has a five minutes longer directors cut.
Pearl Harbor - has a drastically different cut that includes the more graphic moments and other moments of the film: What's the story for this? I mean was Disney relentless in forcing a PG-13 theatrical?

Gladiator 2000 - has a edit with seventeen additional minutes:

Kevin Costners Dances With Wolves has a special edition DVD release with an additional thirty minutes, out of curiosity has any studio such as "Arrow" or "Criterion" considered a deluxe set with multiple edits? The film currently has no signs of a 4K in site though it was rumored back in 2020.

Napoleon - Does this cut actually have a release? (it was said it would get one, but I haven't heard much since it flopped. and this film was so bad that I don't think we need more of it.)

Troy (2003) What a film... seriously no one ever talks about it, but I just picked up the three hour long directors cut, and am scared to see how much more graphic it is... but am intriegued by it's existance:

Also can I just say that the Blade Runner cut fieasco is nothing compared to the trainwreck that is Alexander? LIKE WHY THE HECK IS THERE LITTERALLY A RENAMED ALT CUT??

Alexander Directors Cut - Alexander Reconstructed... final cut??? - Just call it - Alexander - Final Cut (can anyone explain this mess.)
Spartacus has a extended edition? I don't even know how long the theatrical cut was though.

South Pacific has a theatrical and roadshow cut, which is pretty interesting? (any other such cases?)

Kingdom Of Heaven has a directors cut, which everyone knows about, funny thing, I've never seen it because the living room doesen't have a Blue-Ray player and I don't want to see it on my tiny room TV... I'm lazy, so help me.)

The Ten Commandments? Non Intermission & Intermission Cut?

Furthernote, do any other historical epics have long winded extended versions? {That actually are publicly available in some capacity?)

Back
Top Bottom