• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Jittering video in Vegas 18 renders

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm having a random issue where Vegas starts to shuttle the video back and forth while rendering. Happens in both the preview window and the final render. Best way to describe it is that it renders five frames, then jumps back two, repeat. The specific section in the file is often but not always affected. I can overcome it by using "replace" to toggle to a second copy of the same file on a different disk. File is 100% identical, but flipping solves it (from HDD to SSD and vice versa). I've also been able to overcome it by recreating the clip. As in, adding the video back to the timeline, and scrubbing back to the part I want. Makes no sense.

I'm using Vegas pro 18, and I'm editing direct with the .m2ts file, which you'll no doubt say is wrong, for reasons. :)

Anyone encounter this before? Do I have to create a Legolas Lagarith intermediary?

my first thought is to double check your framerates to make sure they match. I've made a similar error in that regard myself.

I won't say using the m2ts is wrong, as I know good editors that work with that without issue. However, I personally avoid that route often, pretty much because I encounter regular glitches in frames.

I recently transitioned to vegas 18 and I have not yet had the problem you are describing. Although I have only rendered small clips and not an entire edit. I have rendered clips from both an m2ts and a lagarith source. I can only think to echo tremault and suggest you double check your project and render settings match your source.

Yeah, project settings are all good.

It's really inconsisent. Just now it was happening in two separate short clips in my project. I closed Vegas, re-opened it, started a render right away, and it was fine. I wonder if it has something to do with the preview thumbnails it generates...

I was working on very high bitrate MPEG-2 encoded M2TS file on my last edit and there was not one single (!) Vegas crash during the whole 2-month process or any other issue for that matter.

And yeah, I had identical problem once (when working on 264-encoded M2TS file) in Vegas 14. Don't know what was the reason of that, but I ended up replacing source with re-encoded file.

So far, it's only been this one .m2ts that's caused me trouble, and I got through 80% of the edit before it started to happen.

I just upgraded my Radeon drivers. Fingers crossed. I see Magix has a decent forum for technical support, so I may post there.

FYI, it's 32,378kbps and an even 24fps.

I had such a situation in Vegas few times, that everythng worked fine for some time and then suddenly went straight to hell - instantly crashing on every single restart, errors during rendering, things like that. Usually the only way around that was replacing source file with re-encoded one.

24,0 fps may also be problematic sometimes. When working on "Three Bears" I've re-ripped Rambo trilogy from my older Ultimate Edition Blu-rays (which were 23,976) to avoid using 24,0 ones from remastered editions.

24,0 fps may also be problematic sometimes. When working on "Three Bears" I've re-ripped Rambo trilogy from my older Ultimate Edition Blu-rays (which were 23,976) to avoid using 24,0 ones from remastered editions.

Any reason why 24fps would be a problem? One of my current projects is a 24fps file and using vegas 18; nothing funky.... yet.

If you want to mix various sources (which I did in that particular case), then it usually is a problem when majority of Blu-rays is in 23,976.
Also, some programs that re-encode video don't like it, and I've had some issues with doing animated menus based on 24,0 files (during re-enconding in MultiAVCHD if I remember correctly).

Ah... I thought you meant that particular framerate could be buggy for whatever reason.

Switched to a very high bitrate h264 file (80GB). So far so good. And Vegas hasn't crashed it all (something it did regularly).

While it may not necessarily be the problem in your case, I will say I've had nothing but problems trying to work with even 24 fps, 23.976 has always worked much better for me.

I had similar issues when I used avidemux. I now use .m2ts files like you are and haven't had a single issue. Vegas has crashed a few times, but that's only because I had a b up nch of video layers loaded with the vfx elements.

Are movies actually shot in 24fps? I thought they were all 23.976? Vegas does have fits when files have inconsistent frame rate data. Sometimes itunes files will say 25fps when loaded, but they're 23.976fps. I always default to 23.976 when starting a movie project.

I had similar issues when I used avidemux. I now use .m2ts files like you are and haven't had a single issue. Vegas has crashed a few times, but that's only because I had a b up nch of video layers loaded with the vfx elements.

Are movies actually shot in 24fps? I thought they were all 23.976? Vegas does have fits when files have inconsistent frame rate data. Sometimes itunes files will say 25fps when loaded, but they're 23.976fps. I always default to 23.976 when starting a movie project.
film standard has pretty much always been 24. all the tech is setup that way and I can't see them changing it due to compatibility.
23.976 is the standard for home media due to the colour switchover in television broadcasting. They needed to add colour to the 24fps black and white signal and didn't want to overhaul the entire broadcast infrastructure, so they just took a little bit longer to broadcast each frame resulting in only 23.976 frames each second. at the same time, the 30fps format of broadcasts ended up at 29.97.
Modern cameras can shoot 23.976 but I don't know of any movies that do this. It might be few, it might be many.
By the time we get them though... The transfer will be 23.976.

Back
Top Bottom