• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Fanedit Film Club - 20/11/2023

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit Film Club
20/11/2023
The Day of the Doctor: Gallifrey Falls
By @Zarius

About the Film Club:
It's always a little sad to think about the number of edits that might slip through the cracks after being published. Whether it's because their source material isn't very popular, they were overshadowed by other edits released at the same time, or because of plain bad luck, it's inevitable that some quality edits won't get the attention they deserve.
To address this, I thought it would be cool to make a 'film club' where every month an edit is randomly selected and promoted for people to watch, review, and discuss.
To select this edit, I've used a random number generator to select a page on the Latest Fanedits list, and used another randomly generated number to select an edit on that page. I then find the closest edit that has less than 3 reviews and has a simple and cheap source.

This month's edit is:
The Day of the Doctor: Gallifrey Falls
The source of this edit is the Day of the Doctor 50th Aniversary DVD which I was able to find on Amazon for £5.

Discussion in this thread can be anything as long as it's related to this edit or the Film Club itself. Reactions don't have to be positive, but should keep site rules in mind.
I'd like to encourage everyone who wants to take part to reach out to @Zarius for a link, and to leave a review on IFDB in addition to discussing the edit here.

I could jump straight into this edit since I already had the DVD lying around from back in the day.
I think this is actually the last big Doctor Who event I really got excited for, since I gradually lost enthusiasm for the series throughout Matt Smith's tenure and was outright frustrated by the Capaldi series. I think this special was almost the final nail for me. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it like I wanted to, and that was enough for me to conclude that I'd lost interest in the show. Although John Hurt is fantastic in the role, the special definitely suffers from the lack of Christopher Eccleston. And imagining John Hurt's lines coming from his Doctor makes it feel so much more real to me. The decision to save Gallifrey was a disappointing one to me, and symptomatic of Steven Moffat's obsession with writing grand over-arching stories that he didn't have the skill to pull off. And that's where this edit comes in.
An edit of this special where Gallifrey is destroyed at the end is a super cool idea!

Back
Top Bottom