• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Color films that look/work better in black and white?

Interesting question … maybe reservoir dogs ? The rocketeer ? It would be cool to maybe take a modern mystery and make it black and white and try to find a way to make it more still and pace it like an old movie - don’t know if it’s possible with modern cuts and short takes

@krausfadr

[link removed]

This looks GREAT in B&W...and its NOT just pulling out the color...it needs contrast and gamma adjustments to make it look THIS sweet!!...
DM them to see for yourself!
I'm super intrigued by that Tarantino Tales project, but don't see it listed in the FEC Database. Do they have a website or something where I can track it down? Or is there someone specific you can think of I can PM?

Two films I find are good in Black & White:

Little Shop of Horrors (1986) much like the original black & white 1960 version.

Akira Kurosawa's Ran (1985)

The original coloring, lighting, and even the post production encoding of Django Unchained was hot garbage. I didn’t realize how little effort Tarantino / the Studio put into this one until giving it some scrutiny.
Gorgeous in B&W.

How about a longer version of your 60 min cut in that glorious grade you curated for us?

There was a version I saw of The Rocky Horror Picture Show when they first released the blu-ray: it was black and white until the Time Warp, and then it was in colour from then on. I really didn't like it - it felt pointless and took away the 70's look of the colors.

Gorgeous in B&W.

How about a longer version of your 60 min cut in that glorious grade you curated for us?
That was the original plan (but in color) but I got caught up in other projects.

Interesting question … maybe reservoir dogs ? The rocketeer ? It would be cool to maybe take a modern mystery and make it black and white and try to find a way to make it more still and pace it like an old movie - don’t know if it’s possible with modern cuts and short takes
Something like See How They Run or A Haunting in Venice, maybe?

I know WilliamRedRobin mentioned it but it really cannot be understated just how good Tim Burton's Batman movies look in black and white.

Back
Top Bottom