• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman Forever: Restored

luc4valcanti

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
IN HONOR OF JOEL SCHUMACHER (1939-2020)

Batman Forever: Restored

Joel Schumacher has never been ashamed or denied that the final cut was his vision, and in several interviews he develops and justifies his choices and style.

To this date, no fanedit has ever done this, as they always took liberties in cutting out small (or sometimes entire scenes) moments here and there that say more about the editor’s personal taste than about the director’s wishes. The objective of this fanedit is to try to restore, with all the discarded material available to the public, what would be the most complete version of the film possible to honor director Joel Schumacher and his pop culture opera approach to the Dark Knight.

Sources:

• The older Blu-Ray rip;
  • Batman Forever: The Virtual Workprint and his HD Rebuild version by Bobson Dugnutt;
  • Trailers and DVD Featurettes;
  • Seal “Kiss From a Rose” Music Video;
  • Both 35MM trailer scans by Denis-Carl Robidoux.
Additions and changes: Basically I restored the original timeline and added all deleted scenes, extended shots and dialogues available out there at trailers, music vídeos, featurettes and making ofs.

I used most of the original Virtual Workprint edit as a base to the deleted scenes audio mixing, but there were two scenes that used Elliot Goldenthal score from Batman & Robin (the hair salon and the ending shot with Batman and Robin running), which I considered to redo and select tracks composed for Batman Forever.

A little bit of grain and scratches have been added, with the colours been a little bit faded because i think the Blu-Ray looks too oversaturated compared to the DVD and VHS rip.

I also used a new shot created by Bobson Dugnutt in his recent Virtual Workprint HD Rebuild.

Unlike the Virtual Workprint that reused some shots from the theatrical cut (the book opening with the wind, Bruce eyes extreme close up and the small bat flying) at the “Secret of the Batcave”, i chose to use all the original footage from the deleted scene itself.

I’ve been working in two versions: a regular and a “35mm experience”, with the colours being based on the trailer scans by Denis-Carl Robidoux.

The more detailed changelist would be:

• Original timeline restored;
  • Alternate opening at Arkham Asylum;
  • Extended dialogue at Wayne Enterprises;
  • New Two-Face shot after "Let’s start this party with a bang’';
  • New Two-Face shot at the elevator shooting;
  • Extended Batman footage jumping out of the elevator;
  • Batman ‘‘Going down?’’ line after the elevator shooting;
  • New Batman shot with the grappling gun;
  • Extended Batman and Two-Face helicopter dialogue;
  • Dick Grayson training deleted scene back in;
  • Batman crime scene deleted scene back in (using Bobson Dugnutt batmobile cockpit shot);
  • Bruce talking to Alfred at cave deleted scene back in;
  • Extended shot of Riddler throwing bombs;
  • Mystery of the batcave deleted scene back in;
  • Extended Robin hero shot;
  • Chase and Alfred at car deleted scene back in.

Last edited:
Some clips of the extended footage:

Bank of Gotham sequence

Hair Salon deleted scene

Secret of the batcave deleted scene

You weren't kidding when you said I'd like your take. Finally someone willing to embrace the movie for what it is instead of turning into something it's not.

You weren't kidding when you said I'd like your take. Finally someone willing to embrace the movie for what it is instead of turning into something it's not.
My goal is to do the same thing as far as something closer to Joel Schumacher’s original spirit and vision with my Neon Knightmare edit. However, I’m still curious on how this one’s going to turn out and I’m looking forward to it.

My goal is to do the same thing as far as something closer to Joel Schumacher’s original spirit and vision with my Neon Knightmare edit. However, I’m still curious on how this one’s going to turn out and I’m looking forward to it.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean for my comment to come off as a jab at anyone else's edits. It's perfectly respectable to have your own vision, but keeping in all the camp is imo much closer to Schumacher's. He shot the stuff, so it's not like he didn't approve of it. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for my comment to come off as a jab at anyone else's edits. It's perfectly respectable to have your own vision, but keeping in all the camp is imo much closer to Schumacher's. He shot the stuff, so it's not like he didn't approve of it. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.
No man I never thought your comment was a jab. I’m just very happy to see more cuts a Batman Forever. It’s exciting.

Just curious, did Schumacher say anything about the camp he injected into the film? I know some lines that are present in the theatrical cut are missing in the shooting script.

Just curious, did Schumacher say anything about the camp he injected into the film? I know some lines that are present in the theatrical cut are missing in the shooting script.

You'd probably have to listen to his commentary on the film to hear his thoughts on it, or the Making-Of on the Blu-Ray. Shadow of the Bat: Part 5 probably covers what you're looking for.

Just finished watching the movie. I loved it and can never go back to watching it any other way!!

Back
Top Bottom