• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

3D Movies

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do any of you regularly watch 3D Movies? I remember the hype around it as a kid, but I think I only watched two or three movies that way.
Was it a fad/curiosity, or is it a genuinely good format that just never took off properly?

Never have, immersive movies aren't really something I ever wanted. I think of film more like good photography than a video game, carefully framed and two dimensional.

Never have, immersive movies aren't really something I ever wanted. I think of film more like good photography than a video game, carefully framed and two dimensional.
It's funny you should mention videogames. I remember the PS3 supported 3D on some games.
I'm surprised that never caught on. It looked pretty cool when I tried it, although I only did it once so I guess it didn't catch on with me either 😅.
But you'd think it would be great for Wii Sports style casual games.

I used to be a big believer in the potential 3D movies, but over the years, my enthusiasm has definitely cooled.

For one thing, as Ebert said, "all movies are in 3D." When one is engrossed in the artistic experience of a good movie, one's brain accepts the 2D image as a representation of reality/3D. If you're watching the final scene of Casablanca, and find yourself wishing the plane in the background was depicted in 3D, you're watching Casablanca wrong.

Fast motion looks blurry in 3D, whether real or simulated, because our eyeballs are physically re-focusing to keep up. The best 3D filmmakers actually adjust the depth of consecutive shots to compensate for this, but it's a biological limitation. Therefore, for particularly fast action (say, a soaring basketball, or a flurry of fists), a 2D screen actually improves on stereoscopic depth. (For my second viewing of Ant-Man and the Wasp, I went with 3D, figuring the shrinking/expanding element would make it a perfect fit, but, because the movement of that movie is so quick, the stereoscopy wound up being a hindrance as well as an enhancement.)

The novelty of 3D wears off, and fairly quickly. Watching a movie's studio logos fly around is exhilarating, and seeing actors' noses protrude toward the camera in a close-up shot is fun. After a while, though, the studio logos are long gone, and one is simply repeatedly noticing peoples' noses.

So, what sort of content works best in 3D? Perhaps counter-intuitively, talky dramas with several people in the same shot, and infrequent edits - scenes set in, say, a courtroom, a starship bridge, or an office. Performances, especially dance (ballet, acrobatics, etc.). And, stuff less than an hour long: the first two seasons of Westworld could be great in stereo, as could shows like Community and The Good Place. Trouble is, by far the best way to experience 3D is with dual projectors and polarized glasses, and, while that's technologically feasible for a home setup, unless one loooooves stereoscopic comic book movies, there just isn't enough available content to justify such an investment.

As for big-screen movies, I do think there's a place for the occasional 3D film, but it definitely helps when the story invovles an element of exploration (Avatar and Prometheus being prime examples.) Animation probably works quite well. And it could be neat to see a fairly ordinary movie, such as a simple rom-com or indie drama, get a 3D release for the heck of it - as in, something more ordinary than Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.

In conclusion: 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom