• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Murder House (American Horror Story Season 1 TV-to-Movie)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am a big AHS fan and season 1 is my favorite. I've always thought there would be a great two hour movie in there focused on the Harmons. It kinda reminds me of the difference between the two mediums. TV is great because we can dig into all of the characters more and learn about everybody in the house, but film can be great because you get a more focused narrative. Anyway, that's a roundabout way of saying that this edit isn't intended to replace the season (for me, at least) but rather provide a condensed, alternate viewing experience. This edit is focused on the Harmon family as well as Nora and Charles Montgomery.

ORIGINAL RUNTIME: 534 MINUTES
NEW RUNTIME: 97 MINUTES

Synopsis: This edit turns American Horror Story season 1 into a movie about the Harmon family.

Intention: I thought the season was very strong and would make a really fun condensed narrative. It is very stylishly shot so I thought it lent itself to the format.

I can't provide a complete cutlist but here are the majorish plotlines and threads cut out or altered:

Violet at school, “scaring” classmate
Hayden abortion, Ben’s trip to Boston
First time Ben and Vivian have sex in show (so Rubber Man is her first in this edit)
Home invasion
Much of Moira as the young seductress though it’s there
Trying to resell house is cut
Chad and Patrick’s murder
Amniocentesis
Piggy piggy/Derek
Beau was cut out due to so much of Larry’s story being cut
Whole ‘Open House’ episode other than 1 scene
Re-ordered so movie opens with Nora and Charles info from tour
Rubber Man reveal is when he attacks Ben NOT before
Chad and Patrick are cut
Vivien getting committed is cut
Alarm system install and Morris Chestnut are cut

Trailer (password is 'fanedit.org):

BD Cover:

Nice! I'm pumped to see this. I love this series (my girlfriend and I are really digging Hotel....Lady Gaga is killing it!). Any plans on giving similar treatment to other seasons?

Would love to see one for Circus, i have to say that i liked it better than the first one.

Journey2Mistery said:
Would love to see one for Circus, i have to say that i liked it better than the first one.

To each his or her own, I thought it was a great season, too. If you had said Coven on the other hand...

Aztek463 said:
Nice! I'm pumped to see this. I love this series (my girlfriend and I are really digging Hotel....Lady Gaga is killing it!). Any plans on giving similar treatment to other seasons?

Actually, yeah. My original idea was for Asylum but I decided to do my favorite season first. Of course, it might not work, I really have to rewatch Asylum and see how much the threads are woven together. I thought it was a great season but my one criticism waa that there was a lot of crazy shit going on. I didn't much care for Coven but I think there could potentially be a great Freak Show movie centered on Dandy more. I definitely plan on rewatching both with this in mind. Of course, probably after I finish my Insidious edit and new NBK audio track, so it'll be a while. By that time, I may want to consider Hotel first. :)

Coven was very divisive among fans. Of the people I know who watch the show, I can only think of one or two who liked Coven. Freak Show was pretty good, but I wasn't a fan of the Glee vibe that was present in the series, what-with all of the musical numbers.

All in due time, at any rate! Don't want to get bogged down in too many projects. Been there, done that. :p

Yeah, my wife stopped watching Coven four episodes in and she loves the show. I thought it was okay but by far the weakest. I liked Freak Show a lot but was very annoyed by the anachronistic song choices. I get that the artists called themselves freaks but it pulled me out of it.

I've been there, done that with too many projects, too. Just two at a time now. :)

I enjoyed AHS S01, though it ran out of steam for me by the final episode.

Asylum was my favorite, but there were numerous threads.
I would be curious what you would focus on.

Vultural said:
I enjoyed AHS S01, though it ran out of steam for me by the final episode.

Asylum was my favorite, but there were numerous threads.
I would be curious what you would focus on.

As someone with a terrible memory who only watched once in 2012, I'd leave my options open. :) My initial thoughts (without rewatching) are to remove the aliens and focus on Zach Quinto and either the doctor angle or the possession angle, but I need to rewatch to see what is possible. I'm looking to rewatch all three seasons anyway, but at this point I'm not sure. But I think it could be compelling either way..

thecuddlyninja said:
My initial thoughts (without rewatching) are to remove the aliens and focus on Zach Quinto and either the doctor angle or the possession angle...

I'm very glad to see that you'd cut the aliens. That subplot was...weird. Not that I'm against weirdness, but it didn't really go anywhere. The doctor angle would be interesting, I think. Would Adam Levine's character be on the chopping block? ;-)

Aztek463 said:
I'm very glad to see that you'd cut the aliens. That subplot was...weird. Not that I'm against weirdness, but it didn't really go anywhere. The doctor angle would be interesting, I think. Would Adam Levine's character be on the chopping block? ;-)

Tough to say. I like the modern day Bloodyface stuff as a framework but it could probably go. In a two hour movie, it's easier to feel convoluted. Then again, I added Nora and Charles as a bookend and throughline in my Murder House edit so who knows?

The thread I most appreciated in S02 was Cromwell's character.
I would include all of Potente's scenes with him, as well.
That should allow room to incorporate Reichsfilme footage for a heavier backstory.

Vultural said:
The thread I most appreciated in S02 was Cromwell's character.
I would include all of Potente's scenes with him, as well.
That should allow room to incorporate Reichsfilme footage for a heavier backstory.

I may be a bit naive but what is Reichsfilme? Nazi propaganda film?

Indeed, whatever you feel would work best of course! I just don't care for Adam Levine. :p

thecuddlyninja said:
I may be a bit naive but what is Reichsfilme? Nazi propaganda film?

Yes, sir, you are correct.
I specifically mean the war propaganda films.
Many are still restricted, with controlled showings by the Murnau Foundation.
Some can be found on YouTube or Archive . org.
A decent suggestion site (in German) is

http://reichsfilme.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure how you want to go with an edit of AHS S02,
and I understand you have not even tackled S01 yet.
Still, if you focus on the Arden/Gruber character it might be
useful to have some lesser seen WWII film footage for his backstory.

Vultural said:
Yes, sir, you are correct.
I specifically mean the war propaganda films.
Many are still restricted, with controlled showings by the Murnau Foundation.
Some can be found on YouTube or Archive . org.
A decent suggestion site (in German) is

http://reichsfilme.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure how you want to go with an edit of AHS S02,
and I understand you have not even tackled S01 yet.
Still, if you focus on the Arden/Gruber character it might be
useful to have some lesser seen WWII film footage for his backstory.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. That could be really useful. My season 1 edit is second cut complete so just some final tinkering and smoothing remains. It's not far away for those interested

FYI this is available for preview if anybody is interested.

A little help, please. This one is pretty much wrapped up but I realized that I don't really like the Christmas music at the end (the scene where they decorate the tree) so I've come up with a few alternatives. Please watch at least a little of each and let me know if you think one really works or doesn't. I've been marinating these for a couple weeks and I still have no idea which way I'm leaning. Each has a very different vibe to it.

AUDIO 1 ('BITCHCRAFT' from AHS Coven):

AUDIO 2 ('ELEPHANT MAN THEME' by John Morris):

AUDIO 3 ('GODS AND MONSTERS (INSTRUMENTAL)' from AHS Freak Show):

AUDIO 4 ('GRAVITY' by Hooverphonic):

^if I go with that one, I'll rejigger the scene so there's no dialogue over the singing.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

I like Hooverphonic.
Lyrics can sometimes be distracting in credits, though.
Personally, I generally kill the video once the fat lady sings.

Personally I like the Elephant Man Theme. Seems to sit really well.....

Vultural said:
I like Hooverphonic.
Lyrics can sometimes be distracting in credits, though.
Personally, I generally kill the video once the fat lady sings.

Thanks! I believe you put me onto them when I was working on the Black Widow edit.

sgp1428 said:
Personally I like the Elephant Man Theme. Seems to sit really well.....

I thiiiiink that's my favorite but I'm still working on it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom