• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader ~The Book Cut~

SoboFilms

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So now that my first fanedit of the Narnia film series is complete I've begun working on my next film, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. While this film had the potential to be better than Prince Caspian, it seems that the filmmakers decided that having a big baddy, a convoluted subplot, and a bunch action sequences & music resembling the Pirates of the Caribbean films, was more important than following the book or having a half way decent plot. My take on this film will attempt to bring it closer to the book, as well as making it an enjoyable and watchable adventure back into Narnia. In order to achieve this I will be cutting/trimming the following elements:
- Cut opening with Edmund trying to enlist, now the film begins with showing us some war imagery and then introducing us to Eustace first.
- A couple of deleted scenes will be reinserted into the film including, Sick Eustace and the Mutiny scenes.
- Cutting all references of and the Green Mist from the film
- Cutting Gael (the little girl) completely from the film
- Restructuring some scenes in the film to match the order of the book
- Removing the seven swords of narnia subplot, now the crew of the Dawn Treader are simply on a quest to find the seven lords and travel to the end of the world, as well as get rid of Dark Island. However, they are only trying to stop it because it is a black spot on those islands near it, not because of any mystical green mist or anything.
- No white witch in the film at all and many other changes as well

Trailer:

I was also originally looking to fix the aspect ratio of the film as well as try to recolor grade it, though I decided due to the fact that just cropping the screen wouldn't fix the aspect ratio and recolor grading it would take too long, that I would just forgo those two ideas for now, I am open to help from anyone who's got any tips. I also have two different versions of the opening scene, one in the theatrical ratio and the other with the cropped aspect ratio, I tried uploading to youtube and many other sites but was only able to upload a comparison of the two scenes. If anyone wants to view the scenes separate from the comparison, please PM and I'll send you the link(s) for those.

I finally managed to get a video upload to work for the opening scene of Dawn Treader on Youtube, it's a comparison between the original scene (with some stuff trimmed out, Edmund and Lucy) and the fanedit scene which is cropped and contains some slight recoloring (which isn't final by the way, I'll definitely tweak it for sure).

Why crop the film? It makes life very difficult for you, as you have to go through every frame to ensure information is not lost. For example, in the opening the "enlist now" poster is cut off by the cropping - the "mother England" bit. I prefer the original aspect ration as it means it fills my widescreen (2.35:1 always leaves black bars at the top and bottom).

Thanks for the feedback dangermouse, yeah I wasn't too sure with the cropping but I needed others opinions, so now that you say that then I'll remove the cropping. On another note, what do you think of the new opening without the enlisting scene if I mght ask?

SoboFilms said:
I'm also looking to fix the aspect ratio of the film
What's wrong with it?

The director changed it for the video release. There was quite a fuss in places like the Home Theater Forum over it.
VDT-AR.jpg

IIRC, this exposes a blooper in one shot where Aslan doesn't have a shadow? All the deleted scenes are 2.35 anyway.

This is indeed one of the unfortunate instances in which the theatrical AR of 2.39:1 was reformatted to 1.78:1 for home-video release. Some shots are opened up on the top and the bottom and can be cropped back to the original AR, but other shots (too many of them) suffered heavy picture loss on the sides and cannot be restored. While I sympathize with the desire to restore the theatrical AR, it's not possible with the current BD, so I'd leave the AR alone. Good luck with the color correction though!

Captain Khajiit said:
While I sympathize with the desire to restore the theatrical AR, it's not possible with the current BD, so I'd leave the AR alone. Good luck with the color correction though!

Thanks, it is a shame though that I can't attempt to fix the aspect ratio, but I've already ran into the issue you talked about with some shots losing stuff. So, I'll definitely just stick to color correcting the film and maybe adding some Henry Gregson-Williams score to the film.

dangermouse said:
I prefer [1.85:1] aspect ratio as it means it fills my widescreen (2.35:1 always leaves black bars at the top and bottom).

You sound like the exact type of person who made the decision to change the A/R for home release. And you kinda sound like somebody from the 90s complaining about widescreen VHS tapes being terrible because they had the black bars.

I just close my eyelids partway and the black bars go away.

That was fast.

TV's Frink said:
I just close my eyelids partway and the black bars go away.

Racist.

Neglify said:
You sound like the exact type of person who made the decision to change the A/R for home release. And you kinda sound like somebody from the 90s complaining about widescreen VHS tapes being terrible because they had the black bars.

Ok - I thought it was filmed originally in 1.85:1, so I reacted to fiddling with the AR to make it more "filmic". However, if it was originally 2.35:1 then I am totally against fiddling with it to make it 1.85:1. But as the Captain said, restoring it is largely impossible.
Perhaps I should have said I prefer the AR to be the original filmed AR. Like I prefer watching STTNG in 4:3 as it was filmed in 4:3 (and you can't close your eyes to make THAT go away. Unless you're a Gorn. Or one of the aliens from V). :)

SoboFilms said:
On another note, what do you think of the new opening without the enlisting scene if I mght ask?

Really works well. Not missed in the slightest, and I think it works better opening directly on Eustace.

dangermouse said:
Really works well. Not missed in the slightest, and I think it works better opening directly on Eustace.

Awesome :) glad you think it works and I personally thought when editing it that losing the Edmund enlists scene didn't detract from the film as there's really no reference to it after or at any other point.

I agree with everything here.

Yes, it's a shame that the aspect ratio has been fiddled with, but as Captain K says, any more work done to it at this point would be more damaging. Best to leave well enough alone. Not sure what to do about the deleted scenes in the original AR, though, if you need them.

I like your revised opening. The Edmund stuff was pretty pointless.

TomH1138 said:
I like your revised opening. The Edmund stuff was pretty pointless.

Thanks :) and yeah it was pretty pointless stuff, but on the plus side was very easy to edit out.

Back
Top Bottom