• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Man with Fire on his Face: Insidious Recut and Rescored

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ever since I saw the film 'It Follows' (great btw), I have been obsessed with the Disasterpeace score. It's fantastic. I was rewatching Insidious and I thought that the Disasterpeace score would work really well with Insidious. The goal was to trim the movie (to reduce some repetitive scares, tighten the story and prevent me from having to recycle the soundtrack too much) and rescore the whole thing with the Disasterpeace score.

Original Films: Insidious
Fan Edit Title: The Man with Fire on his Face: Insidious Recut and Rescored
Original Run Time: 102 minutes
Fan Edit Run Time: 71 minutes
Goals: To edit Insidious reducing the repetitive scares in the first half of the film to get to the Further sooner Also rescoring the film using Disasterpeace’s score from ‘It Follows’

TRAILER:

CUTLIST:

- Reworked opening credits, replaced score with “Title”
- Deleted breakfast scene
- Deleted first attic visit since it gets repeated by Dalton a couple minutes later
- Enhanced child scream to make sense with their reaction
- Replaced score with “Heels” for them running upstairs and talking to Josh
- Cut Josh and Renai joking around before bed
- Replaced score of Renai seeing box with an excerpt of “Heels”
- Replaced music underneath doctor explaining coma with “Jay”
- Cut nurse explaining stuff to Josh and Renai – we just got it from the doctor
- Cut baby monitor voices scene
- Cut conversation with Foster about award to focus on talking about Dalton
- Cut Josh and Renai conversation about baby monitor voices – moved the knocking sound up so that it is what scares Foster under the covers
- Cut Josh downstairs with the poker while the alarm goes off – scene ends after he says there’s nobody in the house
- Cut Josh calling wife from school – used flashbacks as dream sequences after the night before
- Cut the nurse’s uplifting conversation so the day begins with Renai changing linen and discovering the bloody handprint
- Cut part of the conversation in front of the house where she’s complaining about him working late
- Changed music behind what is now Josh’s first flashback/dream to “Anyone”
- Changed music to “Anyone” when demon is walking outside Renai’s door and she wants to move
- Changed music when they move to “Company”
- Record skip at 19:40 now changes to “Detroit” while Renai is out taking the trash and first sees the demon kid
- Added “Heels” theme when demon kid jumps out of Narnia
- Cut Lorraine explaining her dream so it remains more mysterious (go right from her saying this is real to seeing demon)
- Changed music to “Inquiry” when they run upstairs and discover Dalton in the middle of a ransacked room
- Added “Heels” theme when Tucker looks through the Viewfinder
- Replaced music when Elise meets Dalton with “Greg”
- Trimmed a little of the buildup to the lights turning on
- Cut a bunch of Elise’s speech (stuff about easing them into it and how it’s only what she believes/might contradict diagnosis, etc) – changed music underneat to “Detritus”
- Cut some of Elise’s explanation about the demon – repetitive
- Cut Josh being staunchly against Elise’s help since he changes his mind 20 seconds later
- Changed music to “Playpen” under the start of séance and “Father” leading up to and when sh*t hits the fan
- Changed music to “Linger” when Josh learns of his past and prepares to go into the Further
- Changed music to “Heels” when he first sees something in ether
- Changed music to Father when the big guy first shows up
- Changed music to “Pool” when Josh finds Dalton
- Left “Tiptoe Through the Tulips” at the end. This is the first time you hear it in my end, which makes is creepier in my opinion
- Changed music to “Heels” after they meet close up
- Changed music to “Linger” as Josh,well, lingers in the Further
- Cut Specs and Tucker talking about their future book
- Cut ending so after Elise takes Josh’s photo we see the photo flash and then the lady attacking. No Rose Byrne running around for five minutes or showing Josh kill Elise. It’s tighter and still very clear in my opinion

Covers:
man%20with%20fire%20on%20his%20face%20bluray%20cover1.jpg

front cover based on art by deviantart user solomon4ik, back cover square art by R-Tan

man%20with%20fire%20on%20his%20face%20DVD%20cover1.jpg

front cover based on art by deviantart user kilroyart, back cover square art by R-Tan

Combo cover for this and 'The Bride in Black':

based on art by fanart.tv user vicmanpergar, spine featuring art by deviantart user solomon4ik

SAMPLES (PASSWORDS ARE "fanedit.org"):

First five minutes:

Other sample:

Here's the first few minutes (credits and new opening scene) with the 'It Follows' score used (password is fanedit.org):

Mods if you could please move this thread to in-the-works, I would appreciate it.

Here's a youtube playlist of the score if you haven't seen it. I am in love with this score:

Decent! I've been meaning to give "Insidious" a second chance and this sounds like the perfect way to do that.

Neglify said:
Decent! I've been meaning to give "Insidious" a second chance and this sounds like the perfect way to do that.

I "see" what you did there. :)

Here's another quick clip showing a couple of the tracks and how they sound with Insidious. I'm using the "Heels" piece as a theme throughout the film, playing the loud, dissonant part when we see the demon in various forms.

PASSWORD IS "fanedit.org"

I've also been cutting and trimming a lot to make the scares a little less repetitive (and to not have to recycle the soundtrack too much). Running cutlist added to first post.

Moved to ITW per editor's request.

Second cut complete. Runtime is 71 minutes. I made almost no cuts after the Further is entered. The repetitive scares from the beginning and everything extraneous from the first half is cut, so it now plays as a few great scares for the first half and then the old third act is essentially the second half. The backstory is explained without long expository scenes. I prefer the flow much better.

Preview available, PM me if you're interested

Interesting idea, I'm curious on how this turns out. An idea I've always thought of is that Insidious 1 & 2 could be edited together, I actually like 2 more than 1, but I think both have a lot of unnecessary scenes, and since 2 takes place literally right after 1, an edit of the two would make sense.

Dustin6595 said:
Interesting idea, I'm curious on how this turns out. An idea I've always thought of is that Insidious 1 & 2 could be edited together, I actually like 2 more than 1, but I think both have a lot of unnecessary scenes, and since 2 takes place literally right after 1, an edit of the two would make sense.
That was my initial idea (which is why I started cutting the beginning so judiciously) because I was thinking the same thing. Problem is that there are two entirely different bad guys, so no matter what it'll feel like two different movies stitched together. I really enjoyed Part 2 and plan on doing a recut and rescore of that down the line, too.

Blu-ray cover:

man%20with%20fire%20on%20his%20face%20bluray%20cover1.jpg

front cover based on art by deviantart user solomon4ik, back cover square art by R-Tan

DVD cover:
man%20with%20fire%20on%20his%20face%20DVD%20cover1.jpg

front cover based on art by deviantart user kilroyart, back cover square art by R-Tan

This is completed but I would like to get some feedback before it is released. Please PM me if you are interested in previewing it.

thecuddlyninja said:
This is completed but I would like to get some feedback before it is released. Please PM me if you are interested in previewing it.

I'll totes preview this for you, sending PM.

Great idea man!

i wait for this edit.
I am still testing "it follows" to put it in a one hour cut and mix the soundtrack with music of John Carpenter but for now i am still busy with the dead walk so this is only a test if it works because otherwise i let it go.
But the soundtrack of this movie is great.

maniac51 said:
Great idea man!

i wait for this edit.
I am still testing "it follows" to put it in a one hour cut and mix the soundtrack with music of John Carpenter but for now i am still busy with the dead walk so this is only a test if it works because otherwise i let it go.
But the soundtrack of this movie is great.
Thanks! I think mixing in some Carpenter stuff could potentially sound really cool. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you can do. Plus 'It Follows' is great, anyway. I'd be down to see what it could look like faster-paced.

Thanks to Neg for some great feedback. Made a couple tweaks and now this is ready to go. I'm going to try to record a commentary track with the wife tonight and next week will be the release.

This is now pending release on IFDB and submitted to info. PM me for links in the meantime.

Available formats:
BD iso
DVD9 iso
DVD5 iso
1080p mp4
720p mp4

Is the commentary on all formats or just some of them?

Back
Top Bottom