• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Converting Digital Downloads

samuel_333

Reaction score
Trophy Points
(Soon to be) first-time fan editor wondering what is the best way to convert a digital download for editing.

Thank-you.

What outlet are you downloading from?

Undecided yet. Is any one better than the other? Likely to just purchase through Amazon (assuming I’ve understood your response correctly :D)

From what I can see on other threads (albeit a few years old) iTunes is the only option with regard to the above? Please confirm when you have the time and provide a (simple) step-by-step guide on how to obtain the files for editing.

I’d be grateful if someone could also explain how to obtain files for editing from a streaming platform, in my case Disney+.

Thanks again!

iTunes requires a dmr removal tool that will cost somewhere between $45-75. You'd also need to downgrade your iTunes to the last compatible version as the latest dmr encryptions were never cracked on any tools. Those iTunes files will be limited to 5-6mbps bitrates. That's about 1/5th the bitrate of a Blu ray. Unless you're buying digital codes for super cheap, it's not really cost efficient nor is it the highest quality.

Amazon has become an option with some of the newer streaming tools. Those cost anywhere from $80-$300 depending on the number of services you are able to access. Amazon files are generally around 12mbps vbr files. Again, the decryption tools are super expensive and the video fields are still sub Blu ray quality. Those same decryption tools can work for steaming sites, but Disney+ and some others can only be downloaded at 720p.

If you buy one I'd be willing to help with a step by step, but I'd honestly recommend buying a good used external BD drive. The cost will be the same or way less than the decryption tools and MakeMKV is free to decrypt the Blu ray disc.

Perfect response, thank-you. Certainty seems to make sense going down the BD Drive route then!

And so the only route for streaming files would be a decryption tool?

Yes, since we don't allow screen captures.

Thanks for confirming.

I assume there is already several threads out there that talk through prepping a blu-ray for editing?

Don’t want to waste your time! :)

Thanks for confirming.

I assume there is already several threads out there that talk through prepping a blu-ray for editing?

Don’t want to waste your time! :)
Blu ray > MakeMKV > tsMuxer (mux video and audio to .m2ts) > Audacity to create wav audio files for each channel (if NLE isn't compatible with the ac3 or HD audio)

MakeMKV and tsMuxer can both be found at videohelp.com and are both free (makeMKV has a free beta key you can download with each update).

Just revisiting this re: decryption tools - are examples of these platforms such as KeepStreams and StreamGaGa? Thanks!

@DigModiFicaTion Is there any way to download 4K HDR footage from Amazon? I own a Streamfab license and wish to purchase and download the More Fun Stuff version of No Way Home, which is available in 4K HDR (technically Dolby Vision) but Streamfab only seems to support a low bitrate 1080p download :/ Is there an alternate software that works? I haven't found any.

I also own NWH More Fun Stuff on iTunes but the old DRM removal software you use with an old version iTunes isn't available anymore, and even so that was also locked to 1080p right?

I'm stumped a little, since this version of the film isn't available for Blu-Ray nor have the deleted scenes been released separately at all.

EDIT: Think I'm going to try purchasing on YouTube Movies then downloading

Last edited:
OK! So looks like 4K Video Downloader+ with a pro license allows you to download your YouTube movies in the highest available format! So long as you sign into your account in the software's browser and download your purchased movies from there. This is great news!

Probably goes without saying I do own the regular No Way Home on 4K UHD disc as per the rules (and anyone else who does this should as well, in addition to owning the digital movie as well)

EDIT: Download failed, gonna try it again as MKV now though

EDIT 2: MKV download failed as well. Back to square one it seems

Last edited:
I'm not sure. Must outlets seem to restrict desktop streaming quality. For example, Disney+ only allows 720p on desktop. You'd need to see what each tool says it can do.

Last edited:
@DigModiFicaTion Is there any way to download 4K HDR footage from Amazon? I own a Streamfab license and wish to purchase and download the More Fun Stuff version of No Way Home, which is available in 4K HDR (technically Dolby Vision) but Streamfab only seems to support a low bitrate 1080p download :/ Is there an alternate software that works? I haven't found any.

I also own NWH More Fun Stuff on iTunes but the old DRM removal software you use with an old version iTunes isn't available anymore, and even so that was also locked to 1080p right?

I'm stumped a little, since this version of the film isn't available for Blu-Ray nor have the deleted scenes been released separately at all.

EDIT: Think I'm going to try purchasing on YouTube Movies then downloading
I use Leawo for 1080p iTunes. Details here:

I was able to use Streamfab to download the extended film in 1080p, CBR w/ 6 gbps. Unfortunate I wasn't able to figure out how to download the 4k version but whattayagonnado.

I might try to upscale the image slightly (without denoising or extremely manipulating it) to match the 4K Blu-Ray but it may not be worth it (plus it could be extra expensive.) @DonkeyKonga @tremault @MusicEd921 what do you all think?

I was able to use Streamfab to download the extended film in 1080p, CBR w/ 6 gbps. Unfortunate I wasn't able to figure out how to download the 4k version but whattayagonnado.

I might try to upscale the image slightly (without denoising or extremely manipulating it) to match the 4K Blu-Ray but it may not be worth it (plus it could be extra expensive.) @DonkeyKonga @tremault @MusicEd921 what do you all think?
I find 1080p vs 4k redundant tbh. 1080p is sharp enough from normal viewing distance 99% of the time. But my encoding isn't the best, so I'm not the one to ask :)

You could try, but would it really be THAT much of a difference? If you feel like it, try grabbing a few clips and then run that through an upscaler and see what you think.

I find 1080p vs 4k redundant tbh.
If you're upscaling, yeah, there's no reason to do that, but there absolutely is significant difference between 4k and 1080p if we're talking native resolutions of the content (at least for modern large-TV sized screens). Both in pixels and color data, I've been trying to remaster some of my 1080p from 4k UHD and dealing with the colors is a nightmare in Premiere.

The reason you can't get 4k on a lot of the paid tools is because of the way the content is protected, it uses different keys for different resolutions and those keys aren't available for devices they consider a higher risk of piracy. In other words high resolution 4k is typically restricted to more secure devices like set top boxes and TVs rather than computers. Some release groups have figured out how to emulate those to grab the files anyway but you're probably not going to get that support in a twenty buck tool you can purchase publicly.

The reason you can't get 4k on a lot of the paid tools is because of the way the content is protected, it uses different keys for different resolutions and those keys aren't available for devices they consider a higher risk of piracy. In other words high resolution 4k is typically restricted to more secure devices like set top boxes and TVs rather than computers. Some release groups have figured out how to emulate those to grab the files anyway but you're probably not going to get that support in a twenty buck tool you can purchase publicly.
This helps a lot, thanks. So in other words what I was able to rip in Streamfab is probably the best I’m gonna get from the tools available right now 😁

I couldnt figure out what movie you're trying to do, but a lot of movies dont have the extra detail to warrant 4k. For example, i compared shang chi 4k vs 1080p and i couldnt find additional detail anywhere. A digital download is designed for streaming so any additional detail would most certainly be crushed anyway. Upscaling with something like topaz would potentially give a perception of an improvement, but i personally would use that sparingly as its not authentic.
with regards to colour data, 4k releases are generally in hdr, so there is additional colour data but i am not sure how workable that is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom